Question: DCS Disclaimer, Intellectual Property Rights, and Modules/Merchandise?

Kageseigi

I've been curious about something. The disclaimer at the bottom of the DCS menu screen says this:

Disclaimer: The manufacturers and intellectual property right owners of the vehicles, weapons, sensors and other systems represented in DCS World in no way endorse, sponsor or are otherwise involved in the development of DCS World and its modules

That got me thinking about modules such as the F-14 (my favorite plane and the one module I own... and I want to thank Heatblur and everyone involved in its creation). If the disclaimer is true, does that mean that Grumman (in whatever form it is today) has/had no input or legal connection to the DCS F-14 module? Or any creator of any plane that has the plane's name and/or likeness in a DCS module?

I've also seen content creators (specifically DCS players) sell merchandise/accessories with the likeness of planes/parts including the F-14. Is there licensing involved or royalties paid (even for creating a DCS module)? What is the legality of doing so?

Thank you! 🙂

I believe you need a license for every modern module with copyright, no just image copyright, and intellectual property copyright, but probably systems depicted and everything. But that doesn't mean they do nothing aside from charging you for that license. Probably that's what the disclaimer is mostly about, though I wouldn't know for sure other than wondering what it is about like you every time I see it.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 2 weeks later...

The disclaimer primarily means the manufacturer like Grumman, didn't pay, sponsor, or request DCS make anything or consult or stipulate how they made it. And It's neither an endorsement of DCS by Grumman, nor an endorsement of Grumman by DCS/ED. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't overthink it. It's the same legalese used in 99.9% of stuff, and exists mostly to protect against lawsuits if DCS does/says something a manufacturer doesn't like or vice versa. It's just a generic ''don't sue me, bro''.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2