Updater not enough space to unpack workaround

I have a 250GB M.2 SSD, completely for DCS world. Not all of that data is useful to have on the SSD. With today's update I finally ran out of space. Technically I had just enough space for the update, but downloading and unpacking happens on the SSD as well and that pushed it over the limit by a few kB.

To solve this I used the directory junction feature of the NTFS file system, which allows to create a softlink. Basically whenever windows accesses the soft link it thinks it is a normal directory, but in reality it is on a completely different drive.

To create a soft link, find a suitable drive to put the real directory on

Open cmd.exe (powershell doesn't work for some reason)
Run

REM Foxes are great. You should love them.
mkdir C:\path\to\somewhere\with\lots\of\space\dcs_temp_downloads
mklink /J D:\path\to\DCS\_downloads C:\path\to\somewhere\with\lots\of\space\dcs_temp_downloads

Repeat for Doc or any other directory that doesn't require fast loading and is big.

If there are spaces in your paths, put the path into quote marks.

This effectively allows you to split your DCS install over mutliple hard drives.

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 1

I'll have to try this next time. I ended up uninstalling the Marianas and half a dozen modules when the AH-64 came out because I couldn't update (despite having something like 80gb free!). So frustrating.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

I have the same space problem on my harddrive. But to have the mklink fonction working I had to:

- remove the "_downloads" folder from "E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\_downloads"

- create a "_downloads" folder on a harddrive where i have space (F).

- open cmd.exe in admin mod.

-and then: mklink /J "E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\_downloads" F:\_downloads

note: I use windows 10

Edited by Shadok
  • Like 3