Feedback Thread - Tomcat Patch 28th April 2022

IronMike

Dear all,

as usual we would kindly like to ask for your feedback for the recent patch for the F-14 Tomcat.

Thank you all for your continued support!

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• Improved AP HDG HOLD.
  • Fixed GT HOLD to return both modes to ATT hold with single mode disengagement.
  • Fixed Autothrottle not able to be disengaged.
  • Fixed AP NaN values freezing the hydraulics system causing a crash.
  • Disregard STT targets for missile tracking in BRSIT mode (BRSIT now overrides STT).
  • Disregard MSL mode switch in ACM mode.
  • Give flood mode priority over STT for AIM-7 tracking.
  • Fixed flood mode not activated in BRSIT prior to launching first AIM-7.
  • Changed TWS to ignore new tracks when overwhelmed rather than overwrite existing tracks.
  • Fixed rare crashes/freezes caused by the animation system.
  • Improved switching out of Iceman.
  • Improved Iceman behavior on flying to point.
  • Fixed Iceman refusing to perform a right hand orbit.
  • Iceman’s throttle won’t damage flaps anymore.
  • Iceman can now use speedbrake to slow down.
  • Bingo fuel level can now be adjusted with power off.
  • Updated VF-211 Fighting Checkmates 100 livery. 
  • Updated CN localization messages.mo. 
  • Fixed gear door using livery texture from the opposite side.
  • Fixed several small export issues on F-14A and -B exterior models
  • Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

14 minutes ago, sLYFa said:

The burble effect noticeably changed (stronger turbulence/downdraft at the ramp). Are there now two burbles one ED and one HB overlapping each other?

This should not be the case, as we disable the wake turbulence by ED, which includes the burble effect. Are you experiencing this around all carriers or only Supercarrier vessels?

[And just as an FYI we did not change anything with our own burble effect fwiw.]

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

I have an observation that belongs more in the AIM-54 thread, but I figured I would write it here for extra visibility: while I find the Phoenix to perform perfectly well when I fire it, it's pretty atrocious in the hands of the AI (as in in Zone 5 I have seen them have a pk of like 10% over the whole campaign, against my ~80%), as they tend to fire when they are some combination of too low, too slow, and especially too far. It's as if they thought there were still firing the old, over-performing missile. Was their behaviour tweaked at all recently? Because if it wasn't, it definitely should be.

Edited by TLTeo

21 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

I have an observation that belongs more in the AIM-54 thread, but I figured I would write it here for extra visibility: while I find the Phoenix to perform perfectly well when I fire it, it's pretty atrocious in the hands of the AI (as in in Zone 5 I have seen them have a pk of like 10% over the whole campaign, against my ~80%), as they tend to fire when they are some combination of too low, too slow, and especially too far. It's as if they thought there were still firing the old, over-performing missile. Was their behaviour tweaked at all recently? Because if it wasn't, it definitely should be.

I don't think it was, but it is an ED issue, we have no influence over that to my knowledge.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

This should not be the case, as we disable the wake turbulence by ED, which includes the burble effect. Are you experiencing this around all carriers or only Supercarrier vessels?

Havent tested non-SC carriers yet. I will look more into it when I have time but judging by my standard recovery training mission which I have flown hundreds of times(15kts wind, 27WOD) the burble got more "violent" especially at the ramp. 

• Like 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

4 hours ago, IronMike said:

I don't think it was, but it is an ED issue, we have no influence over that to my knowledge.

Thanks, I've opened a thread in the ED/AI section in case anyone else wants to comment: 

• Like 1

Today after the update, I've started having issues with the flap switch moving itself to deploy the flaps, even when my physical switch is up.  It doesn't go fully down, perhaps 95% of the way to down (I can see it move slightly further aft when I move my switch to the down position).  I removed all binding other than the keyboard default keypresses for the flaps up and down, and it still does this.

Tomcat "parked on ramp hot" start kneeled. (should not)

When kneeled it's possible to turn with the nosewheel. (should not)

B EIG reacts to INSTRUMENT ligths setting but only the red background - the white indicators stay lit the same. (should not)

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

13 minutes ago, sLYFa said:

Kneeling does not inhibit NWS in the real AC AFAIK. Thats why its important to make sure its off before launching. 

That's my source:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#nosewheel-steering

Disengagement of this system occurs automatically with weight off wheels (take-off), electrical supply failure or lowering of the launch bar. It’s also possible to deactivate the system by depression of the nosewheel steering button.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

That must be wrong/outdated since RW docs explicitly mention taxiing and steering in the strut-kneeled position. There is also the feature of the launch bar dropping when the strut is kneeled and the nosewheel is deflected beyond 10°. This is not working in DCS since kneeling automatically drops the launch bar wich IRL is lowered by the cat crew or by deflecting the nosewheel when in kneel beyond 10°

10 hours ago, EMSGoof said:

Today after the update, I've started having issues with the flap switch moving itself to deploy the flaps, even when my physical switch is up.  It doesn't go fully down, perhaps 95% of the way to down (I can see it move slightly further aft when I move my switch to the down position).  I removed all binding other than the keyboard default keypresses for the flaps up and down, and it still does this.

Found the issue- an axis command was somehow applied to the flap lever. Disregard this message.

Hi,

Autopilote still don't work for me. Engaging Alt Hold Mode, then the engage switch (a/p ref light on) and autopilot reference (a/p ref light off) but it don't stabilize the plane.

I try to make a .trk file but the record don't correspond to what I do (don't know why).

Using microsoft ffb joystick and trim implementation in the special option of the F14.

Also, autothrottle still not disengage after landing with it.

@IronMike It seems like the wake turbulence settings affects the burble. With wake turbulence off, everything is as before the patch. With wake turbulence on, the downdraft at the ramp is substantially stronger. You can notice by a rapid AoA fluctuations and uncommanded pitch changes.

8 hours ago, draconus said:

"Lowering the launch bar" - not kneeling. 🙂 As this does not fire an event in DCS, we currently have it so that it happens when the launch bar gets connected to the shuttle. However: you still need to manually disable it. Or you cycle your hook once at idle power. IRL automatic disconnection of NWS would be thus cycling hook at idle -> taxi -> kneel - lower the launch bar by the ground crew -> NWS off. Else you do it manually prior to cat launch.

3 hours ago, sLYFa said:

@IronMike It seems like the wake turbulence settings affects the burble. With wake turbulence off, everything is as before the patch. With wake turbulence on, the downdraft at the ramp is substantially stronger. You can notice by a rapid AoA fluctuations and uncommanded pitch changes.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Shadok said:

Hi,

Autopilote still don't work for me. Engaging Alt Hold Mode, then the engage switch (a/p ref light on) and autopilot reference (a/p ref light off) but it don't stabilize the plane.

I try to make a .trk file but the record don't correspond to what I do (don't know why).

Using microsoft ffb joystick and trim implementation in the special option of the F14.

Do you have a non FFB stick, or can you try without FFB and see if the issue remains please? I am wondering if this is simply FFB related. Thank you! 

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

3 hours ago, sLYFa said:

<--- Exposed. Good catch, I had wake turbulence unchecked, that's why it felt normal to me.

Do you have a non FFB stick, or can you try without FFB and see if the issue remains please? I am wondering if this is simply FFB related. Thank you! 
I have an ffb stick and autopilot usage is difficult for me. I thought I was doing some mistake, but reading here then enlightened me. I can do some test if needed.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

I don't have a non ffb stick. Trying without ffb (and removing trim implementation, but maybe I don't have to do this for the test) the autopilot work well !

The issue stay the same for the autothrottle non disengaging.

Thanks

7 hours ago, sLYFa said:

One more thing I noticed is that DLC does not retract on the ground with MIL power. Not sure if after this patch or the one before.

I noticed it one or two patches before. Trapped on the Forrestal in full MIL with the A Tomcat. Speedbrakes retracted but DLC did not.

I love the changes the aug 9 track so much better but the aim 54 over loft is still a nightmare i played refelcted's fear the bones i hit one target out of six the phoenix just wanted non of it 😞 hopefully the other fixes happen soon 🙂 great work thought 🙂 

On 4/29/2022 at 7:07 AM, Shadok said:

Hi,

I'm not having any issues with AP.  Just make sure you have all SAS axes turned on.  If you engage AP with one of the channels turned off, turn it back on, and the toggle the AP switch off and on again.