ACLS F18 CPL Autopilot not working as intended....my fault ?

Darkenmass

Same result.  All missions with ACLS work fine in SP, but not on a dedicated MP server.

This includes a completely clean Miz file with only the CV and one client Hornet added to it.

Edited by Rhayvn

• ED Team

can you tell me if the mission had more than one carrier in

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Opened a brand new map, added the supercarrier CV with a single waypoint after the initial one, added the TACAN, ICLS, LINK4 and ACLS commands to the initial waypoint, added one client FA-18.  Saved.

That's it.  Single CV, nothing at all else in the entire mission except the ship and the hornet.

5 hours ago, timtierney said:

I have a very similar experience.  I tried Wagner's procedure twice on my custom mission.  No luck.

For me, I get to the point where needles start to come down and meet my aircraft.  I'm gear down, 1200' AGL, approach ATC enabled in stable flight, ACL page says ACL RDY.  However, when I go A/P -> CPL, it get's into an ocilation trying to stabilize and and auto pilot eventually kicks-off.  I think I'm around 3,200 lbs of fuel with a clean configuration.

One thing I noticed is when I couple, it says CPL HDG in the HUD instead of CPL P/R, which I'm guessing is the root problem. @fjacobsendo you have a similar experience?

@timtierney I did not notice, but it seems very possible, since the behaviour is exactly like You describe.

I got it to work once I lowered my weight below 33.000 Lbs, but only made single attempt.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Exactly the same problem for me. Added Link4 and ACLS actions to the default CASE III mission. When established at 1200', 6nm, on speed, engage ATC, I never get the tadpole, and the ACLS mode indications remain ACL RDY & T/C. It never indicates MODE 1. 

Edited by norman99
  • Like 2

Tested again with a new mission, with only two units, me (hornet) and a supercarrier. Worked that time... Strange

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

I have tried this numerous times now in both single player and MP and my results are very hit or miss, if I MANUALLY fly to the 6 mile point then I get a good lock and approach 50% of the time, but if i use autopilot in any mode it will not couple in the approach at all and all i get is a HDG couple indication never have I managed to get a P and R CPL

23 minutes ago, BigMotor said:

In Matt Wagner's video he has an annunciation on the ACL screen (upper right) that goes from "ACL READY" to "CMD CNT"  at 3.9 miles.  This does not happen in Atazar's video or any of my tries. 

Atazar’s video might not be the best reference. He’s not exactly following the correct CASE III profile. Instead of maintaining 1,200ft till 3nm, he’s already at 800ft at 8nm and 600ft at 6nm, so he’s much lower than ideal? Whether this effects the ACLS capture or indications I’m not sure.

50 minutes ago, Atazar SPN said:

If you get the HDG message, disable and re-enable CPL. I don't know if it's the correct behavior, but P / R was set again.

I tried this solution, It worked once but not on every attempt....seems not reliable, i am thinking of disabling the tacan before engaging a/p the hdg on HUD may refer to tacan...not sure though...

@Atazar SPN You are able to active CPL P/R because you have achieved a successful ACLS Mode 1 Lock, indicated by mODE 1 on the DDI. My problem is I just don’t get an ACLS lock on at ~6nm. Stays in T/C and the tadpole never appears, hence when CPL is selected, it engages in HDG mode.

• Like 1

I’m having the same issue. I  followed instructions for creating my own mission; added ACLS and Link 4 everything works up to the last 4 miles. I cannot CPL the autopilot and i get no Tadpole symbols in hud.

UPDATE

I took my existing bad weather carrier mission and remove the carrier and added the George Washington Supper Carrier. Then flew the mission again. Everything work including the Coupling the Autopilot to the ACSL Tadpole showed up on the HUD. Weather was pretting raining and a little turbulent. The autopilot still maintain the ATO (Auto throttle and the Autopilot Coupled to the App Mode. It seems that everthing worked. It looks like we need to remove the old Super Carrier and re-add it again. Not sure if it only works with the George Washington, but that was the Carrier Wags used in his video. Hope this helps a few people. I will keep testing.

Checkmate

Edited by Checkmate

2 hours ago, Atazar SPN said:

We repeat the exercise respecting the restrictions of the graph corresponding to Case III

We activated CPL at 1,200 feet, 5 miles.

I have the mfd ready and ACLS lock on ....try to watch my track at the beggining of this post, you can even take control of the plane if you want.

In my case, two Mode 1 approaches and two bolters. Auto throttle disengages shortly before contact with the deck. Aircraft couples and follow tad pole properly (3DME/1200 feet), but no "CMD CTL" and no "10 SEC" message shown (all communications and profile well done).

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

I cannot remember  from when I remember this, but I remember a feature not working correctly once before with a unit already placed in a mission file created before the update. The testing I've done and the infos gathered on this post lead me to believe this is what is happening here. When playing a mission already existing before the update with ACLS, the carrier/hornet does bot behave as expected. When flying a mission created after the update, it works as intended.

I was able to replicate this multiple times during my testing.

What I need to finally test is if a new carrier is placed in an older mision, if it fixes it or not.

If anyone wants to try the same with their old vs new mission to confirm or not my thnking don't hesitate to share results !

Edit : Can confirm placing a new carrier and setting it up in an already existing mission will make the ACLS work as expected (Wag's video for reference), while a CV already placed before the update , but configured the same way will not work as intended (no mode 1 on ACLS display and no proper autopilot.

Edited by colasmulo
  • Like 1

Have the same issue:

11 hours ago, norman99 said:

@Atazar SPN You are able to active CPL P/R because you have achieved a successful ACLS Mode 1 Lock, indicated by mODE 1 on the DDI. My problem is I just don’t get an ACLS lock on at ~6nm. Stays in T/C and the tadpole never appears, hence when CPL is selected, it engages in HDG mode.

Tried both to update existing SC mission and create new one from scratch (based on the old Wags guide).

Edited by lester

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

1 hour ago, Backy 51 said:

Try it at nighttime ...

Ah, we were.....

It won't even initialise if CASE I recovery ops were still being conducted, so that's definitely not the cause. Everything else works fine up to 6nm, some of us are just unable to obtain an ACLS lock-on, (change to MODE 1) and remain in T/C.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Since more people are experiencing this, is it possible to add a 'reported' or 'investigating' tag to this post?

Also, if there is anything else I can provide/test for you, please let me know 🙂

-Thanks!

• ED Team

please leave it with us, we have reported other issues already, and a problem has been found with multiplayer sessions using more than one carrier, but I want to be sure this is the same issue before marking it. 

thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 4/30/2022 at 5:12 AM, norman99 said:

Exactly the same problem for me. Added Link4 and ACLS actions to the default CASE III mission. When established at 1200', 6nm, on speed, engage ATC, I never get the tadpole, and the ACLS mode indications remain ACL RDY & T/C. It never indicates MODE 1. 

Same issue here - could be related to mission  / carrier placement before update - I hope this can be fixed with an update so I don't have to butcher my missions:( - apart from that... it's flippin ace!

Update:

Yes this is what's happening - works on new missions, not on missions created before the update. Hopefully this can be fixed.

Edited by Raptor Two Four
Update

2 hours ago, Raptor Two Four said:

Same issue here - could be related to mission  / carrier placement before update - I hope this can be fixed with an update so I don't have to butcher my missions:( - apart from that... it's flippin ace!

Update:

Yes this is what's happening - works on new missions, not on missions created before the update. Hopefully this can be fixed.

Didn't work for me in the completely new mission I created specifically to check that either. Followed this guide:

Edited by lester

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

Trying to learn ACLS, already familiar with how to fly a CASE III approach.

I edited the default mission in persian gulf adding the Link 4 and ACLS commands. Following Wags tutorial everything goes as planned until ATC calls for "ACLS lock on, say needles", I don't get the tadpole circle like in the video and if I try to turn on the CPL mode (while being already with ATC approach mode at 140kts) it engages CPL HDG mode, until it automatically disconnects about 2 miles from the carrier.

Did I set it up wrong in the mission editor? The DATA warnings I get are all the same as in the video including the final LDG CHK message.

20220501172638_1.jpg

ACLS test.trk