ACLS F18 CPL Autopilot not working as intended....my fault ?

Darkenmass

Hi, I did some troubleshooting on some old mix, I believe the problem is other units not in your flight group, try to see if in your test mix there is this situation, and if it is like that, try to delete the other F18/flights not in your flight group.

For example, I got a mix with 3 F18 flights, the ACLS was not working and got strange behaviour, then I deleted all the flights not in my group (F18x4), and the ACLS was working as expected.

(just check the carrier is setup correctly in ME, something like my pic attached and test)

I think ED @BIGNEWY is aware of this, I tested and it's happening just with F18 AI (even if F18 Flight are on a Airport to Airport route so not dealing with Carrier at all) and F14 AI flights.

On the same testing mission but changing F18 AI flt with F16 AI flt on the same Airport to Airport route, ACLS on Carrier works perfect as expected.

If you need I can open a new bug report. got also some tracks, but it's easy to reproduce.

ciao

Screen_220501_125054.jpg

5 hours ago, mcgrips said:

I edited the default mission in persian gulf adding the Link 4 and ACLS commands. Following Wags tutorial everything goes as planned until ATC calls for "ACLS lock on, say needles", I don't get the tadpole circle like in the video and if I try to turn on the CPL mode (while being already with ATC approach mode at 140kts) it engages CPL HDG mode, until it automatically disconnects about 2 miles from the carrier.

Did I set it up wrong in the mission editor? The DATA warnings I get are all the same as in the video including the final LDG CHK message.

Hi, try to follow my post and check the mission. Let me know, the carrier is set ok in your pic.

7 hours ago, Raptor Two Four said:

Same issue here - could be related to mission  / carrier placement before update - I hope this can be fixed with an update so I don't have to butcher my missions:( - apart from that... it's flippin ace!

Hi, do you have other flights than your flight group in your old mission? try just to delete them in case and save as a new mission, test.

Edited by pokeraccio
more tests
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, lester said:

Didn't work for me in the completely new mission I created specifically to check that either. Followed this guide:

Hello, try to do not add other F18 flight to your mission, but just your flight group (your F18 + the ones you want) then test.

• Thanks 2

So ACLS only works if there’s no other F18 Hornet groups in the mission?

If that is the case it’s a huge oversight, even if this is still beta, WIP etc…

Hopefully a fix is on the way soon.

Edited by norman99

Just tested this. Seems AI are definitely part of the problem.

Original SuperCarrier CASE III mission, with LINK 4 & ACLS triggers added. No ACLS lock on, no MODE 1 indication, or tadpole.

Same mission as above, only deleting the 2 AI F18 groups present. ACLS now works correctly to the deck.

Now, if only the burble wasn’t so sever as to completely ruin an otherwise perfectly stable approach… But one step at a time I guess.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, norman99 said:

So ACLS only works if there’s no other F18 Hornet groups in the mission?

Nor F14s AI active flight group.

On supercarrier My issue is that I can get the ACLS to engage at 6 nm I get the appropriate HUD and Cockpit command notifications Course and Roll. I make a prefect 3 wire approach but the hook skips the wire and does not engage and I get bolter bolter from LSO

Have nt managed to complete an ACLS landing correctly yet??   

yes Hook is down and locked?

Track file is too large to attach. Strange  

23 minutes ago, richskinns said:

On supercarrier My issue is that I can get the ACLS to engage at 6 nm I get the appropriate HUD and Cockpit command notifications Course and Roll. I make a prefect 3 wire approach but the hook skips the wire and does not engage and I get bolter bolter from LSO

I'm able to trap with ACLS every time, except if some other F18/F14 AI Flights are in the same mission.

Is your trap weight around or under 33.000? (I did some flights and I was able to trap with ACLS up to 36.000 I believe, but I'll test again on that)

• Thanks 1

Created a new mission from scratch just me and the carrier. I got ACLS to work, including the showing the Tadpole and mode 1. The autopilot Coupled correctly. Then I tried it a second time and I could not get the Autopilot into CPL inside of 5 miles. First time I think I got a disconnect message and after that each time I tried to push the CPL button nothing happened. I think we need some more guidelines from ED on how to get this to work correctly.

One question, should we have more time so that we can do at least one turn in the marshaling stack. Right now the Expected Approach Time (EAT) does not allow for anything more than a straight in from the Final bearing. Assuming that I am behind the ship when I make the call to mother. It would be nice if they added an additional six minutes so at least I can execute one turn in the Marshall stack. Or is that unrealistic and in real life do most pilots just fly straight in without ever making a turn in the Marshaling Stack?

Edited by Checkmate

5 hours ago, richskinns said:

There is also another WIP situation, that seems ACLS is not able to handle well the burble effect, so if you have wake turbulence active may cause trouble to the system, try to disable WT if you have it on. try also to setup in mission editor carrier speed to 11 and wind no more than 10

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pokeraccio said:

I did some troubleshooting on some old mix, I believe the problem is other units not in your flight group, try to see if in your test mix there is this situation, and if it is like that, try to delete the other F18/flights not in your flight group.

I'm finding that I can spawn an AI F/A-18 group but only if they are airborne. If the F/A-18 group is set to "Takeoff from runway" on the carrier, I will not get Mode1 or tadpole. If the exact same group is moved off to the side and spawned in a "Fly over point", ACLS works fine with successful Mode1, Tadpole and autopilot CPL approach.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, pokeraccio said:

Nor F14s AI active flight group.

I tested a mission where i could just once obtain the ACLS A/P P/R and then added flights, and i could not obtain P/R anymore, removed the other flights and still no P/R ...sorry but i don't think removing F18/F14 flights is a solution

Weight below 33000 if you guess.

1 hour ago, Darkenmass said:

I tested a mission where i could just once obtain the ACLS A/P P/R and then added flights, and i could not obtain P/R anymore, removed the other flights and still no P/R ...sorry but i don't think removing F18/F14 flights is a solution

Weight below 33000 if you guess.

step by step we are nailing it, as @Hinkey pointed out, maybe is depending on the AI flight group condition (takeoff from runway, Fly over Point)...  

1 hour ago, Hinkey said:

I'm finding that I can spawn an AI F/A-18 group but only if they are airborne. If the F/A-18 group is set to "Takeoff from runway" on the carrier, I will not get Mode1 or tadpole. If the exact same group is moved off to the side and spawned in a "Fly over point", ACLS works fine with successful Mode1, Tadpole and autopilot CPL approach.

Thanks a lot, that's another piece of the puzzle 

• Like 1

I’m my mission (default SuperCarrier CASE III mission) in which ACLS fails, 2xF18s are air spawned, and land ahead of me. Delete these aircraft and it works. The carrier was obviously added to the mission prior to this update, so I don’t see that being a cause.

I have this issue even if  I make a new mission, only consisting of the Super Carrier and my F/A-18.

Carrirer have 1 waypoint with a speed set to 25 kts.

My F/A-18 is 40 nm behind the Carrier at 6000 ft, 350 kts with 1 waypoint set to land on the carrier.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

46 minutes ago, fjacobsen said:

I have this issue even if  I make a new mission, only consisting of the Super Carrier and my F/A-18.

Carrirer have 1 waypoint with a speed set to 25 kts.

My F/A-18 is 40 nm behind the Carrier at 6000 ft, 350 kts with 1 waypoint set to land on the carrier.

Do you have CPLD HDG on final instead of CPLD P/R?

Digging in this, I found the bug more complex than I thought, as the AI Flights group stuff is happening with waypoint logic based... so a lot of combination, then there is also the reported bug of ACLS not able to handle the new burble effect / strong wind that make the plane land too short.   

Survey: Has anyone been able to get "CMD CNT" as shown in this clip from Matt's video?  I've had several successful ACLS landings using the above suggestions but have never gotten the CMD CNT annunciation.

InkedWagner video mod 2.jpg

2 hours ago, BigMotor said:

Survey: Has anyone been able to get "CMD CNT" as shown in this clip from Matt's video?  I've had several successful ACLS landings using the above suggestions but have never gotten the CMD CNT annunciation.

never, maybe we'll see it in the next update also with "10 SEC"  

• Thanks 1

On one of my existing missions (Marianas Map) I made the ME changes Matt outlined in his video (Activated Link-4 and ACLS and a similar naming convention), then followed Matt's video through a CASE III marshal and approach.  I made all the calls highlighted by Matt and available in the Comms Menu. I got all the correct indications until six miles. At that point the ACL RDY and T/C indications remained. I did not get the TADPOLE nor did I get the MODE 1 indication in place of T/C. I tried to Couple anyway and got the above mentioned HDG indication and not the correct P/R indication on the HUD. Later I tried a new/clean mission with just the Supercarrier and two F-18c both in Client mode (two groups).  I took off and flew from the deck entering the Marshal pattern as directed at 6K and 21 miles. This time it worked as advertised. So something in my old mission is interfering with proper ACLS operation at the point where MODE 1 and the TADPOLE should be active.  Having read comments above, it sounds like other folks are having the same issue.

Just flew another couple of flights on my old mission (Marianas Map). The first time I first removed the four F-14s I had staged on the flight deck. All four were set to spawn with engines running in the Client mode. I was playing, as I was before, in SP. For this flight, I still had two helos, an E-2D, and an S-3B Tanker (All three AI's) set to launch via triggers. The Helos and Tanker from a Cold Start and the E-2D from the CAT running. All at different times during the mission. Additionally, I still had several F-18C (set as Clients) ready to spawn.  On the Beach, I had dozens of targets and several aircraft both AI and Client some on the ground but many flying in the area (Tankers and AWACS).  So the only difference for this first run is that I removed the Spawn to Engines running F-14s.  I got no difference... the MODE 1 and TADPOLE did not show.  The second flight I removed the two Helos, the S-3B and the E-2D (All AIs) from the flight deck, everything else remained the same. This time I did get the MODE 1 and TADPOLE on the HUD and was able to couple and fly a good ACLS to a 3 wire. I did not get the "CMD CNT" indication nor did I get the "10 Seconds" Indication.

Edited by Bonz

@Bonz In your first mission, I’d guess you have another F14/F18 group with a “land” waypoint action assigned. These would most likely not be set as clients, so that they appear and are active during the mission?

Try deleting these groups and see if this mission now works.

Edited by norman99

On one of my existing missions (Marianas Map) I made the ME changes Matt outlined in his video (Activated Link-4 and ACLS and a similar naming convention), then followed Matt's video through a CASE III marshal and approach.  I made all the calls highlighted by Matt and available in the Comms Menu. I got all the correct indications until six miles. At that point the ACL RDY and T/C indications remained. I did not get the TADPOLE nor did I get the MODE 1 indication in place of T/C. I tried to Couple anyway and got the above mentioned HDG indication and not the correct P/R indication on the HUD. Later I tried a new/clean mission with just the Supercarrier and two F-18c both in Client mode (two groups).  I took off and flew from the deck entering the Marshal pattern as directed at 6K and 21 miles. This time it worked as advertised. So something in my old mission is interfering with proper ACLS operation at the point where MODE 1 and the TADPOLE should be active.  Having read comments above, it sounds like other folks are having the same issue.

Just flew another couple of flights on my old mission (Marianas Map). The first time I first removed the four F-14s I had staged on the flight deck. All four were set to spawn with engines running in the Client mode. I was playing, as I was before, in SP. For this flight, I still had two helos, an E-2D, and an S-3B Tanker (All three AI's) set to launch via triggers. The Helos and Tanker from a Cold Start and the E-2D from the CAT running. All at different times during the mission. Additionally, I still had several F-18C (set as Clients) ready to spawn.  On the Beach, I had dozens of targets and several aircraft both AI and Client some on the ground but many flying in the area (Tankers and AWACS).  So the only difference for this first run is that I removed the Spawn to Engines running F-14s.  I got no difference... the MODE 1 and TADPOLE did not show.  The second flight I removed the two Helos, the S-3B and the E-2D (All AIs) from the flight deck, everything else remained the same. This time I did get the MODE 1 and TADPOLE on the HUD and was able to couple and fly a good ACLS to a 3 wire. I did not get the "CMD CNT" indication nor did I get the "10 Seconds" Indication.

Edited by Bonz

• Bonz changed the title to Supercarrier Improvements and capabilities Problems with the New ACLS
12 hours ago, Bonz said:

CMD CNT and 10 SEC I believe are to be implemented yet.

about the ACLS not working as expected when there are other AI flights in the mission, in this post I explain mine and others findings:

so it's not just F18/F14 but I'm pretty much sure it's something related with all "Carrier able" AI (E2, S3, F18lot20, F14...) dealing with waypoints Takeoff/Landing... in the same mission.

I flew the same mission again (Marianas) only this time in Multiplayer Mode with one other pilot on with me. The Mission configuration was unchanged from the one where I had success… that is with removal of the ship born AI aircraft. My wingman (same group) launched first and proceeded to Marshal at 6K and 21nm. I launched next and proceeded to Marshal at 7K and 22nm. He pushed first and completed all necessary radio calls on the way inbound. I followed a minute later also completing all necessary radio calls. My wingman did receive the Mode I and TADPOLE and coupled-up with ATC for a Mode I. He was not getting proper steering so felt he had to decouple and waved off. I never got the Mode I and TADPOLE indication so flew a Mode II approach to a bolter. We both entered the wave-off/Bolter pattern, remaining at 1200’ and turned back in for a second attempt outside 10nm. My wingman was able to couple again receiving both the Mode I and TADPOLE indications and flew to a successful trap. I had the same indications as before and flew manually to a Mode II trap.

Edited by Bonz

• Bonz changed the title to ACLS Couple Problems with the New ACLS on Supercarrier

have been testing something out myself in single player and multiplayer as I was facing similar issues. Unfortunately you do not mentioned the frequency you had set for the ACLS. Assuming you have changed the default setting to the setting Matt used in his video (256.0)

Altering the ACLS frequency in single player works just fine but using the exact same mission in Multi player you simply do not get the data pushed after you have made the radio call "established"

Changing the frequency to the default one (336.0) it works fine in SP and MP

for the record. I do have SC, the hornet and running on Beta. Also, my mission is as simple as one carrier and one airborne (client) hornet about 40 miles behind the ship on course

Edited by Dopey

I have yet to get ACLS to work. I set everything up in mission editor. In mission I get and follow all of the DATA queues. When I get the ACL ready command on the MFD, and the boat says "switch mode 2" I engage auto throttle and couple the auto pilot. Right under 6 miles, at 1200 feet and on angle.  Instead of getting the CPL P/R, I get CPL HDG and the aircraft starts climbing.  I feel like I must be missing one little step.  Any suggestions?

Edited by sideshow