Radar Look-down Penalty Excessive

MARLAN_

Tested before and after this patch with these results:

BLUE ALT / RED ALT -> Detection Range (NM)
   35K  /  35K -> 48
   35K  /  30K -> 46
   35K  /  25K -> 31
   35K  /  20K -> 31
   35K  /  15K -> 31
   35K  /  10K -> 31

BLUE ALT / RED ALT -> Detection Range (NM)
   35K  /  35K -> 48
   35K  /  30K -> 46
   35K  /  25K -> 31
   35K  /  20K -> 31
   35K  /  15K -> 31
   35K  /  10K -> 31

So radar look down wasn't changed this patch, unsure if the "Slant Range" fix meant this or something else, but regardless the look down penalty is grossly excessive currently. Look-down penalty should be nearly non existent over water (where this test was conducted) and over land should have a small effect due to ground clutter but not a -35% radar range across the board as soon as the bandit is greater than 5000 feet below the nose.

As far as I'm aware, DCS uses the degrees of radar look down, I didn't record that here though.

It does appear however that this is a bug and not intended. The 48NM to 46NM is reasonable for a 5K difference in altitude, and then the flat 31 NM across the board perhaps could be a bug in the code somewhere.

I didn't want to record & include 12 tracks but it's easily reproducible 100% of the time. To reproduce: place yourself and the bandit at the noted altitudes and L&S (undesignate switch) the bandit as soon as detected to get an accurate reading.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Did some more testing, even with bandits flying at 50 feet off the deck they are detected at exactly 31NM

I also tested 5K and 1K, same result.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.