G2 crashing to blue screen?

Campbell

I’m running a G2 with a 1080ti, had zero issues for a few years. Now suddenly last night my headset is crashing to a blue screen with DCS running in the back ground then crashing as well. I’ve uninstalled and clean re-installed WMR, SVR and the WMR SVR and it still doing the same thing. Anyone have any ideas? I’m at a complete loss as to what’s causing this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So after working with Hp support and doing a bunch of software updates, it was determined that my cable had gone bad. I was still running a Gen 1 cable. They sent me a new cable quickly. I set it up today and my blue screen issues are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

TO CUT TO THE CHASE SEE MY POSTING 6 JULY 2022 Just after the next post

I too have just started experiencing this BSOD VR.
A lot of faffing around with software settings , MSI afterburner, DCS VR settings made no difference.

What did happen today was my TM throttle suddenly needed re-seating as it disconnected.

I re-seated all USB's including the USB C to USB B adapter from VR headset to GFX. 

I've just had an hour of trouble free flying. To me any adapter is a point of fail in my book. 

I have the HP G2 MkII with the new cable btw. If only they'd made it USB B and had the adapter for laptops instead.

Give this a go people. I did also notice that pressing  HOTAS buttons would cause the BSOD VR. Odd one.
However might explain why other non DCS games ran ok because I was using VR controlers instead.
McNasty Uk

UPDATE:

Well I just found a USB C on the back of my motherboard ( I didn't know was there it was so small). Plugged the HP G2 mk II USB C into it. Seems ok now.
As I said, adapters are a weak link.

Update 2:

Well its back. BSOD VR

Tonight I said NO to SRS to run on my PC and its worked ok.
I came to this conclusion as IL2 which also uses SRS was playing up.

Now I recall, this issue has only been with me since a SRS update. Coincidence?

Update 3

Ok its gotten worse but seemed to hang only in mp.

I read / googled that-

Turn GPU Scheduling off in Windows system\graphics. Or right click desktop and go to screen settings.

The  gpu scheduling option says it will reduce latency. I turned it off.

Just had two hours flight  and no bsod in mp.

Added to this: on Steam I opted for the beta version download. It rebooted and needed Steam password.

My fps seemed to have improved staying more in the 40's.

Try it.

Edited by McNasty_UK
update

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK I think I've nailed it.
I point the finger of suspicion at STEAM version.
In Steam there is an option to accept Beta versions. By accepting beta's, Steam downloaded the most current beta version.
From here on (3 weeks now) it has been behaving.

I subsequently turned the auto beta download option off because it seems there's practically a new one every time you log into Steam.

Just running Steam update (non beta) it will report it is up to date. However this is far behind the beta versions listed.
Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried my G2 afterwards in MSFS and it runs flawless.

Any idea what I have to do to avoid the bluescreen in DCS? Have the USB-C with the adapter on a usb 3.0 as my motherboard has no USB-C

Thanks for your support

Am 6.7.2022 um 16:06 schrieb McNasty_UK:

OK I think I've nailed it.
I point the finger of suspicion at STEAM version.
In Steam there is an option to accept Beta versions. By accepting beta's, Steam downloaded the most current beta version.
From here on (3 weeks now) it has been behaving.

I subsequently turned the auto beta download option off because it seems there's practically a new one every time you log into Steam.

Just running Steam update (non beta) it will report it is up to date. However this is far behind the beta versions listed.
Hope this helps.

Where did you find this option? Steam itself or MRforSteam?

• 3 months later...

To any other lost Souls trying to fix yet another " Unexpected Steam Error" issue, VR conks out but DCS keeps running.

My above attempts ran well for a while ( months) then came back again and was really unfathomable.

Solution ?

I moved the whole of DCS from Steam to Standalone. Yes it can be done but only this way. Not from Standalone to Steam.
This isn't the end of the issue though.
Standalone will still need to use Steam VR to run the headset. So still relying on Steam :¬/

Solution: Install OpenXR software to run the headset instead.
Open XR is way more superior and the lighting now with Ver2.8 awesome.
No more Steam issues because I have removed Steam from the equation completely.

Ok. Steam to Standalone took a weekend. Download Standalone is a big file to download and install by itself.
Then "porting" over all the DLC's from Steam also took its time.
Not forgetting setup files for joystick etc and non ED mods.

Yes it was a B@ll ache because then I had to figure out about OpenXR how to install, use and tinker with it.

BUT...Oh its worth it. Think of it as several large obstacles to defeat but take your time, one by one.
Once you commit there's no real turning back.

There's plenty of "How to's " on the web how to go about this. Steam to Standlone I got from this forum.
Open XR turned out way easier than I anticipated. I didn't lose my DLC's and its so much better now.

Hope this helps.

Edited by McNasty_UK

I went the Steam to Standalone route some time ago but I don't think you need to do this to switch to OpenXR and bypass SteamVR?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I thought probably as much but Steam hacked me off so bad I wiped out all need for it.

So maybe change my adivse around.

Install OpenXR first and try it.

Then if it still gives " Steam critical error" go Standalone.

Anybody who's reading this and trys, please post your results.