Bug? TOO1/TOO2 wiped when you designate on a new pylon

SneakyBastd

Using todays patch, I have 2 pylons with 2xGBU38 each. TOO on both.

I use TGP to designate target coords for TOO1 and TOO2. Switching between them, the coords seem ok.

Step to the other station. Designate TOO1 and TOO2. Again, seems ok.

Step back to the original station, check TOO1/TOO2. They have now changed to the coords from the last designates.

That is, TOO1 coords are the same on both stations. TOO2 coords are the same on each station.

Dropping all 4 bombs, 2 bombs each hit the same coords.

This seems like a bug, or is my process wrong? Thanks.

Update: maybe a bug - QTY behaves differently with TOO/PP
When using PP drops, you CAN use QTY. Each bomb guides to the coord you enter
When using TOO drops, you can NOT use QTY. Multiple bombs will guide to one coord, no matter what you put in the TOO for each one.

Edited by SneakyBastd

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Make sure to undesignate before stepping to a station that already has a set of TOO coordinates. The active station will always write the TOO coordinate to memory while a TGT designation exists.

So the process should look like:
- Designate first station TOO1
- Designate first station TOO2
- Designate second station TOO1
- Designate second station TOO2
- Undesignate
- Step through stations

EDIT: The behavior with today's patch is a little different than previously described. The TOO coordinate will only write to memory when the TDC is actuated while assigned to the FLIR display, or when a new TGT designation is created.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

That's more or less how it should go. While the designation data stream is active it's continuously supplying that location to the currently selected weapon. If you shut off the data stream then you can switch weapons without overwrite. However there might be a small detail if the data is supplied via waypoint then it might not instantly overwrite on selection (other sensors yes because their location is always in flux). I'll have a read and see if it is applicable to this situation.

EDIT: Happy to report that WPDSG for TOO JDAM does not continuously overwrite target. The writing correctly only occurs at the moment of WPDSG creation. Sensor target source is more or less continuous because the location data provided is constantly fluctuating and these changes count as updated target location which will overwrite without a dedicated designation action.

Edited by Frederf

So I think it is actually working ok. I think I selected QTY for all stations with jdam, making 2 bombs go to a single point. I thought it would drop from each station selected, but still keep their independent targets. Nope.

So I have to drop each bomb in turn. Pickle twice, select TOO2 each station, pickle twice. Then they target correctly.

I just tried this with the same setup, but manually typed in the coords for each bomb using PP. And I CAN use QTY with both stations selected to drop, and each bomb still goes to its individual target.

So I think TOO and PP behave differently here - perhaps that is the bug.

Edited by SneakyBastd

I think this is a bug. I observed the same thing. Saving different targets in TOO1 and TOO2, on 4 different stations, stepping through shows different coordinates being saved, as expected. But when releasing, all 4 bombs goes to the same target on the first release, switch to TOO1 second release and they go to different targets as they should, EVEN when using QTY.

I can't make a .trk since I'm away from home for the weekend.

EDIT: I can't reproduce the behaviour now. I cleared the shader cache, that shouldn't be related, but maybe it somehow cleared it up. Works as expected now. Successfully hit 8 different targets from 4 pylons, TOO2 first 4 and TOO1 last 4.

Edited by Sharkku
Further investigation

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Tholozor said:

EDIT: The behavior with today's patch is a little different than previously described. The TOO coordinate will only write to memory when the TDC is actuated while assigned to the FLIR display, or when a new TGT designation is created.

behaviour does not require undesignate as mentioned earlier, it was adjusted later in the fix for the TDC depress method. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Maybe related. When dropping from a station with more than one bomb, you have to manually select the other too when dropping the second bomb from that station. When you drop the first one from too1, you have to manually switch to too2 before dropping the second one. Dont know if this should work like that or not. Seems a bit weird if you want to drop 8 jdams at once. You then have to press too2 manually 4 timles to drop bombs 5/8.

11 hours ago, nighteyes2017 said:

Maybe related. When dropping from a station with more than one bomb, you have to manually select the other too when dropping the second bomb from that station. When you drop the first one from too1, you have to manually switch to too2 before dropping the second one. Dont know if this should work like that or not. Seems a bit weird if you want to drop 8 jdams at once. You then have to press too2 manually 4 timles to drop bombs 5/8.

No, that's working correctly. After you drop all your TOO1, you need to change each station to TOO2 so the remaining bombs know where to go. As far I understand it anyway.
It would be cool if it switched the station to TOO2 before stepping automatically, but I have no idea if that's accurate IRL or not.

7 hours ago, Ulukai said:

TOO Mode  also have a Problem.
Station (Single bomb) 2 3 7 8  hit different targeds on different coords. 
TOO1 and TOO2 on one station  hit at the same coords even if coordinats are different? 🤔   

Are you using QTY? If so I describe how that is working differently than in PP mode.

9 hours ago, SneakyBastd said:

No, that's working correctly. After you drop all your TOO1, you need to change each station to TOO2 so the remaining bombs know where to go. As far I understand it anyway.
It would be cool if it switched the station to TOO2 before stepping automatically, but I have no idea if that's accurate IRL or not.

Are you using QTY? If so I describe how that is working differently than in PP mode.

Hallo,  I dont touch [QTY], should I ? 🤔😄  now i read your text again. I will try

My worflow was:
[A/G]--> [J-82] -->[Mode]-Too --> [EFUZ] -Inst  -->  [JDAM DSPLY] --> [MSN] -->and thant set directly coords with TGP switch between than to check the coords and  pickle [T001]  pickle [T002] ...  boom boom .. but same targed.   (Test with one bomb station and two bombs)

...view minutes later....

I  just click on additional to my workflow [QTY] --> [STA2] and [STA3] but  no change for me  the both J-82 hit the same Position even if the coords are different. 

...view minutes later.....

I realize that I have  to  push [T001] and [T002] before pickle

Edited by Ulukai