Varjo Aero - Optimal Settings

mwlambrn

Greetings All!

I recently received my Varjo Aero and I am loving it so far!  I had some issues when I first set it up (the 4 'screens' appearing in the desktop view - essentially, the Aero 'doubling' the viewable area). What I saw in-game was some ghosting/model mismatching - for example, in a test run w/ the Huey my external view showed the aircraft sitting in the ground so that the bottom was in the taxiway. 

I was able to work those issues out as outlined in part in this post: 

Part of the fix was using the string --force_steam_VR in the properties of my DCS shortcut. That fixed the ghosting/mismatching issue...but my performance dropped significantly compared to previous when, I'm assuming, the Aero was running on the Varjo software. TBH, it's kind of disappointing after the $$ I spent on the headset, which I will use almost exclusively for DCS. 

So, all that being said, I'm wondering if there is a way to use the Varjo software w/o the 4-camera issue that anyone has found? Alternately, I'm up for any recommended VR settings - or a link to a recent-ish post - that would assist in getting smooth VR performance without sacrificing too much in the visual quality arena. Or, perhaps I'm just asking too much at this point - I know, first world problems...

And, my system specs are pretty up there - again, built a new rig primarily for DCS. (I hate to admit how much I've sunk into hardware for this game...) So, I'm *hoping* to get some butter-smooth performance. I'm sure there is some combination of settings out there - I have tweaked many times with my previous HP Reverb G2 - but at this point I'm kind of lost in all the myriad of settings. [And yah, I'm old enough to remember when the only graphics settings you had were screen resolution, and even then you could only choose from 3 or 4, if you were lucky.]

Intel i7-12700K - 3.6 Ghz - RTX 3090 - 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 1 TB SSD - Win 10

Thanks! Appreciate any and all thoughts, ideas, and input! 

• Like 1

--Matt

• Intel i7-12700K
  • Nvidia RTX 3090
  • 32 GB DDR5 RAM

2 часа назад, mwlambrn сказал:

Greetings All!

I recently received my Varjo Aero and I am loving it so far!  I had some issues when I first set it up (the 4 'screens' appearing in the desktop view - essentially, the Aero 'doubling' the viewable area). What I saw in-game was some ghosting/model mismatching - for example, in a test run w/ the Huey my external view showed the aircraft sitting in the ground so that the bottom was in the taxiway. 

I was able to work those issues out as outlined in part in this post: 

Part of the fix was using the string --force_steam_VR in the properties of my DCS shortcut. That fixed the ghosting/mismatching issue...but my performance dropped significantly compared to previous when, I'm assuming, the Aero was running on the Varjo software. TBH, it's kind of disappointing after the $$ I spent on the headset, which I will use almost exclusively for DCS. 

So, all that being said, I'm wondering if there is a way to use the Varjo software w/o the 4-camera issue that anyone has found? Alternately, I'm up for any recommended VR settings - or a link to a recent-ish post - that would assist in getting smooth VR performance without sacrificing too much in the visual quality arena. Or, perhaps I'm just asking too much at this point - I know, first world problems...

And, my system specs are pretty up there - again, built a new rig primarily for DCS. (I hate to admit how much I've sunk into hardware for this game...) So, I'm *hoping* to get some butter-smooth performance. I'm sure there is some combination of settings out there - I have tweaked many times with my previous HP Reverb G2 - but at this point I'm kind of lost in all the myriad of settings. [And yah, I'm old enough to remember when the only graphics settings you had were screen resolution, and even then you could only choose from 3 or 4, if you were lucky.]

Intel i7-12700K - 3.6 Ghz - RTX 3090 - 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 1 TB SSD - Win 10

Thanks! Appreciate any and all thoughts, ideas, and input! 

You should use OpenXR Open Composite and indeed force SteamVR as you did. This way Open Composite will intercept the request for OpenVR API and will launch in OpenXR. Search for the OpenXR guide here on forums, it's not that hard after all you went through to get the Aero working 🙂

As for the performance, it is unlikely that you will have it butter smooth for 2 reasons:

1) There is no motion reprojection in Aero, there will be stuttering unless you are sitting at 90 fps;

2) There is no hardware in existence that will allow you to push a high resolution and at the same time keep 90 fps in DCS. If you want 90 fps you are going to drop resolution to G2 levels, but even at this level you will have better visuals than G2 due to lenses clarity. It's just going to be a bitter pill after you've seen what Aero is really capable of.

Basically by picking the Aero you pick the best resolution, but omit many other things which are better on G2 or even Q2. Aero is not an ultimate choice right now, unfortunately, we are just not there yet. It only allows you to touch that future a little early on.

You should probably join the discord, where you can get help with pretty much everything for Aero:

https://discord.gg/JaE6tSuC

Edited by Fiztex
  • Like 1