Virpil Collective Practicality

drcarnage52

Hello all, 

I'm planning a major overhaul of my sim cockpit, replacing my current TM Warthog setup with an abundance of Virpil controls (I'm sure the Virpil sales team will be pleased).

One unknown that is bugging me is the practical dimensions of having a collective and a throttle mounted in close proximity. I plan to mount the throttle traditionally on the left hand side of my desk, and the collective on the left of my chair. I'm worried that when I'm flying helicopters, the collective will hit the throttle mount when I lift it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so is there a work around?

If you have the collective and the throttle mounted that they can freely move, then the throttle might be a bit far away for actual fixed wing flying. (depending on your arm length).
But it's doable. Flying this way since I'm currently 90% in choppers and it works fine. But a 3h session in a fixed wing aircraft... I would move my throttle a bit closer.

Best solution would be a mount that you can slide over the collective if you are flying choppers.

• Like 1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I would probably have to pull a desk drawer out on my left hand side to make room to move the Virpil CM3 throttle over whilst having the collective between myself and the throttle so I would first need to check that out and make sure it is doable. I am pretty sure with my Monster Tech Mount my Virpil throttle is on I can make that work. But I do need to check that.

Now that I am further along in learning process of Apache I at least know I am going to stick with it. I am able to fly it somewhat proficiently and employ all the weapons so far.  I already ordered and received a Monster Tech Mount for the Virpil Collective for my AK Racing gaming chair so I have that ready to go if and when needed.

So at this point I guess I am close to being ready to order a collective, but I must also say at this point what is still holding me off a bit are the reports of folks having to constantly tighten the screws on the collective to keep it from falling. Eventually running out of threads and then having to mount a counter weight to correct this issue. I ain't much fond of spending this kind of money on a collective then having to mod it to keep it working like it is supposed to work. Is this something Virpil warranty might cover?  And then lastly, I wonder if Virpil is going to have an Apache grip? I guess if they were they probably would already have done so by now huh.

So yeah guess I am not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet. But giving it more serious consideration. 

Edit: Sorry OP I did not mean to hijack your thread, you just asked a question I was wondering about also then I just blabbered on with things I was wondering about before purchasing.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Works great if you are smart about the mounting setup. 5ED9F791-8927-4341-92C2-36ACFA6730D1.jpeg
i actually have my throttle lower than this and still have no clearance issues just requires a little experimentation. 

Here is another photo. 

A61C89AC-BA0B-4703-AEBB-9C84FBCC153A.jpeg

Edited by haaaake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is setup to have just a few mm of clearance from my seat and to allow my hand to grip it and pull without hitting the throttle on the left. 

9B8E4446-B402-4886-BE54-EBDB6BE511E5.jpeg
and as I said I moved my throttle down and forward from where it is in this photo for more natural ergo position and still no issues with it contacting. You want to make sure your flaps lever can still have full articulation without hitting the grip depending on how you have it setup. 

i actually setup my collective to be an eject lever when flying fixed wing aircraft it is great haha. 

Edited by haaaake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had both the Virpil throttle and collective mounted off a MonsterTech chair on the left side. Personally, i found it awkward using the collective, as it was not aligned with the armrest. Now it is a 1 minute fix to take the throttle off, and put the collective on, moving it closer to the armrest.

My solution was to mount both the throttle and collective on locking hinges. Very quick and easy to switch between them.

The extension on the collective is because I am hoping for an Apache grip... (Of course, I am using a custom restrictor plate)

PXL_20220501_181028933_1.jpg

PXL_20220501_180958841_1.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That would have required compromising on the ergonomics (pushing the throttle out to the left) which, for me, wasn't a good tradeoff. I have sufficient panel functionality that I rarely use the buttons and switches on the throttle base anyway and I have the rear mounted throttle quadrant for helicopter engine management.

1 hour ago, Scott-S6 said:

That would have required compromising on the ergonomics (pushing the throttle out to the left) which, for me, wasn't a good tradeoff. I have sufficient panel functionality that I rarely use the buttons and switches on the throttle base anyway and I have the rear mounted throttle quadrant for helicopter engine management.

Agreed. I like the throttle as a button box (and currently as a Power Lever for the Apache), but I woulnt want to manipulate the throttle that far out for fixed wing. So I'm still looking for another way of moutning it.

@Scott-S6I like your setup. Do you have more pics of your Rig?

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

Thanks, but I don't want to pull this thread off topic. I'll start a thread with my rig at some point...

I think your idea of a throttle that slides left to right is a good one for people that want to keep the throttle in use. Pretty easy to do, just needs a pin or thumbscrew to locate it. I might do that myself, just because more buttons is never a bad thing.

One thing that is relevant to this topic though. Part of the switching between jet and copter is pedals. I wanted to be able to disengage the sprung center. This is a prototype that's working pretty well - removing the two thumbscrews disengages the springing (the bar pivots around the center on roller bearings and all four eye bolts have spherical bearings). Still to do is making some adjustable travel stops for copter mode and brackets for a damper. Those aren't virpil pedals, obviously, but the idea is highly transferable.

PXL_20220503_110208901_1.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6

Pedals are also a big topic. I have my TPR's on the lowest settings and this has been working great. But I plan to add a oil damper. This could screw with this setup for Fixed wing.

Are your pedals DIY? They look great.

They're virtualfly ruddos. The pedals run on linear bearing skates and the toe switches are force transducers. Fancy stuff but all off-the-shelf components so very easy to repair should I ever manage to wear them out. (The whole springing mechanism and all the stuff behind the metal enclosure is DIY)

A damper is fine for fixed wing flight as well (desirable even, it can stop oscillation around the sprung center), as long as it's adjustable. I plan to have the damper set very low, just to stop drift. At the moment the pedals run so smoothly in copter mode that if you tap a pedal it'll glide all the way to the stops.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all,

I've ordered desk mounts for stick and throttle, and the chair mount for the collective (all VIRPIL mounts). I'll have to see if it works for me I guess - if it means switching to a monster tech setup then so be it.

I'll let you know how it goes!

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, Scott-S6 said:

My solution was to mount both the throttle and collective on locking hinges. Very quick and easy to switch between them.

The extension on the collective is because I am hoping for an Apache grip... (Of course, I am using a custom restrictor plate)

Looks awesome! Love your setup!

• 5 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 8:14 PM, Scott-S6 said:

PXL_20220501_181028933_1.jpg

PXL_20220501_180958841_1.jpg

Great solution! Can I ask You where You find the hinge? Thx.

1 hour ago, Hunter Joker said:

Great solution! Can I ask You where You find the hinge? Thx.

If you search for "locking hinge" on eBay, Amazon, etc. you'll find them and there are many varieties and sizes. I used this type:

shopping (2).webp

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1