Working up to Su25t single player campaign

eifionglyn

Hi,

Hoping I can get some pointers on what to work on so I can take on the Su25t single player campaign.

Currently attempts at even the first mission result in my losing situational awareness, being unable to find targets, yes they're at waypoint 6, yes they're marked with red smoke but I often can't spot what I'm actually meant to engage. Even cheating with labels on I have trouble spotting them. And even if I do spot some tanks on the road, everything happens way too quickly, and by the time I've got a target locked and ready to release weapons I'm within seconds of overflying the targets and inevitably eat a SAM.

The thing is, I'm an OK pilot with the Su25, I actually enjoy flying it, I can taxi, take off and land with no problem. I understand and can use the navigation and autopilot systems. I'm happy with weapons employment in training missions I've created. I can put guided missiles and unguided bombs pretty much where I want them.

But try and put it all together in the campaign missions and it all goes to pot. So there's two things I need to improve. Visually acquiring targets, and secondly, getting the jet ready to employ weapon on that target before I've overflown it, while at the same time avoiding enemy fire. I don't have any such issues with the Ka50, perhaps the more slow, methodical employment of an attack helicopter suits me more than a jet.

I think I should make some training missions that include stuff that is actually going to shoot back at me rather that statics to practice dropping bombs on. Any suggestions for what would be hard enough so that it's a challenge and I'm learning but not so hard that I get instantly blown up. I'd like to get the F/A18 one day, but need to get competent at using a ground attack jet before I spend the moneys.

• Like 1

Well, the built in Su-25T campaign is ridiculously hard. I wouldn't really recommend that to a beginner. The single missions are alright, though. The "Long Day" mission is particularly nice, imo.

Try to learn the area where you're shooting stuff. Look for landmarks. Cities. Buildings. Bridges. Roads. Forests. Use the Mission Planner (or the F10 map) to find where everything is. Usually, you will find just enough information to not ruin the experience.

Try to make a mental picture of where everything is and where you can find your targets around the landmarks. Sounds harder than it actually is. "I know that South of this settlement is an armored column, so if I follow this road..."

If you like the F-18, go for it! I mean, trial it first. If you like the aircraft, you'll enjoy learning to properly employ it

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Все буде добре

1 hour ago, Kilo said:

Well, the built in Su-25T campaign is ridiculously hard.

Oh good. It's not just me being a complete idiot then! 😀

I think that's what I like about helos is you can just sit there and take your time to scout, see what's what and what matches up with the briefings. Fixed wing you have to be going somewhere all the time, and fast. 

Didn't know you could get modules on a trial. Will look into that. I have the Steam version so not sure it will work for me. My plan is to get the F-18, then some rudder pedals, then the Huey and then a decent hotas, probably in that order.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eifionglyn said:

I think that's what I like about helos is you can just sit there and take your time to scout, see what's what and what matches up with the briefings.

You're gonna like the F-18 then. Unlike the camera on the Toad, the TGPs on the Hornet have much wider fields of view. So you can have the target area on your 3 or 9 o' clock and have all the time in the world to scan it. Not to mention FLIR and the ability to make your TGP look at the waypoints you placed on the map, making it that much easier to look for targets.

• Like 1

Все буде добре

I agree with Kilo. I have never gotten past the first mission. 😊 

You can find easier free campaigns in the user download. 

It's also easy to switch from Steam to Standalone. You keep your licenses from Steam, it the other way around. 

Cheers! 

hace 21 horas, eifionglyn dijo:

Didn't know you could get modules on a trial. Will look into that. I have the Steam version so not sure it will work for me. My plan is to get the F-18, then some rudder pedals, then the Huey and then a decent hotas, probably in that order.

AFAIK the 14 day trial program isn't implemented for Steam users (like me).

You could just try it from the DCS shop and if you like it then purchase it on Steam. Although that means another separate DCS download and installation procedure for the shop version.

Edited by nachinus