Cheap cell based VR googles?

Stratos

I did. Doesn't hold a candle to a real VR headset. The biggest deal is that you get no positional tracking, which pretty much kills the idea. You can attach an external tracker, but that sort of thing is surprisingly expensive. None of the apps I tested offered to use the phone's camera for tracking. Plus, none of the apps are freeware. It's a waste of money, plain and simple.

• Like 1

I will second that it's a waste of money, very cool in concept but none of them, regardless of quality or phone screen or anything really actually feel like VR the way a legit HMD does. Take the money you would have spent on these and put it toward a quest2 or a used G1 or something and you'll be much better off. 

EDIT: I will the say I used a google daydream phone based HMD to watch movies on an amtrak a couple times way back in the day and it was passable for that task, but still nowhere near as good as even Gen 1 dedicated vr headsets (vive, cv1, etc) and they would be fully useless for playing on DCS on. 

Edited by DavePastry
one use case

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

Cell-based headsets use accelerometers , which only provide 3Dof compared to the 6 of "real" headsets . Among other things , this means you cannot "lean in" to read an instrument , for example .

Bad idea for DCS , especially when you can get a used Lenovo Explorer ,Rift S , or G1 for $100 , $150 or $200 respectively . 

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just to pile on, I have used these Google daydream style things in the past to play around with and they have their uses. I still use one for flying a drone, and I’ve also used it to watch a movie on a plane. But for DCS the experience would be very very poor. The resolution, clarity, FOV, and tracking all leave a lot to be desired compared to even a 1st generation headset like a Vive. 

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal