VR cursor and HMS symbology jitter

St4rgun

Several users observed a HMS symbology jitter, which is most conspicuous with the IHADDS of the Apache.

It turned out, that this phenomenon is not only HMS related, it's the same with the VR cursor.

The head tracking of the VR headsets is so precise, that even my pulse can move the crosshairs altough I hold my head very stable. If someone only want to ocassionaly use the crosshairs then it's fine, but as long as you are starting to be aware of this problem and trying to observe these fine details then it will be obvious that something is basically wrong with the HMS crosshairs movement (including all helmet sights of the A-10, F-16, F/A-18, Ka-50 and the Apache as well).

The same goes with the mouse VR crosshairs: because the VR cursor is linked to your head so it also moves this way. The slightest movement (pulse) can jitter it around while trying to fight it with the mouse. It's more emphasized in the Apache when typing a lot of data on the keyboard.

The main cause can be the method, that the movement of the HMD sensed at position of the head, while the movement of the VR cursor and HMS symbology placed in the space further in a distance which means a given angular displacement of the head makes fairly large displacement in space at the distance of the displayed VR cursor or HMS symbology. IRL this would not happen, because the HMS placed close to the eye, just collimated to infinity.

IMHO this issue is serious enough to be corrected to eliminate fatigue caused by the need of unnatural head fixing meanwhile improving the aim experience with the crosshairs.

I think some deadzone solution for the head tracking is generally not appropriate, because sometimes we want to move the crosshairs precisely, so a deadzone would introduce some artificial lag. Probably filtering the jitter of the HMDs head tracker sensor raw data is the solution to go. But these all should be applied only to HMD symbology and VR cursor, in every other aspect the head tracking is perfect now.

@BIGNEWY Any toughts on this?

• Like 2
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

• St4rgun changed the title to VR cursor and HMS symbology jitter
  • ED Team

Personally I think it would lead to more issues if a deadzone or artificial stabilisation was used, but I will pass on your comments to the team. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don´t think a deadzone would be the correct fix but some kind of smoothing for the head movement, with a slider to adjust it

• Like 2

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I agree, some form of damping or smoothing with a slider to set as an option would be a great addition.

• Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

On 4/29/2022 at 2:05 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Personally I think it would lead to more issues if a deadzone or artificial stabilisation was used, but I will pass on your comments to the team. 

Maybe two different methods could be used for the different tasks:

• VR cursor stabilization: even a bigger deadzone can be highly usable for the head tracking not to interfere with precise mouse movement
  • HMS symbology stabilization: the deadzone is contraproductive, special noise filtering is required instead like some tuned low-pass filter to avoid lag (i.e:https://hal.inria.fr/hal-00670496/document)
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

• 2 weeks later...

I concur completely.  I've done more testing, comparing Apache IHAADS and Viper HMCS -- it's not aircraft specific.  It's the technology.

It works smoothly and perfectly with TrackIR, because that is a much lower resolution tracking than the VR headsets with internal gyros/whatever they do.  TrackIR can't see the constant, tiny movements of a person's head, but the Quest2 sure can feel them.  The headset and controllers are astounding at how precise they are, you cannot move them any perceptible amount in space without it being detected.  When I play in 2D with TrackIR, it works exactly like I'd expect, and it feels like the symbology is tracking my true head movements.  In VR though, I'm constantly trying to focus like a jedi to keep my head more still, and I end up deciding that head-pointing just makes things difficult.

The solution would be an app or a mod that could filter the noise through a number of schemes -- a movement threshold "limp zone", a continuous averaging of polled values, etc.  I think ED could implement a slider in the VR tab that does this in-game to dial in an amount of smoothing from none to very smooshy, and have this apply universally to the modules.  That's really the only problem I have in VR right now, too much head tracking precision.  Heh.  

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

To say some news for this topic: I've just tried the "Inputs" option of OpenXR Toolkit (I'm using Reverb G2 with OpenXR).

There's an option which was pretty much under my radar before: "Shaking reduction".

OMG, what a difference! I set it to -70% and EVERYTHING went smooth, without any annoying lag.

I mean REALLY smooth. Not only the crosshairs will be so much better, but the whole scene inside and outside the cockpit. WOW, it's a jaw dropping moment for me.

I highly urge all WMR usees who're using OpenXR to try this out, it's a really game changer.

Edited by St4rgun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, St4rgun said:

To say some news for this topic: I've just tried the "Inputs" option of OpenXR Toolkit (I'm using Reverb G2 with OpenXR).

There's an option which was pretty much under my radar before: "Shaking reduction".

OMG, what a difference! I set it to -70% and EVERYTHING went smooth, without any annoying lag.

I mean REALLY smooth. Not only the crosshairs will be so much better, but the whole scene inside and outside the cockpit. WOW, it's a jaw dropping moment for me.

I highly urge all WMR usees who're using OpenXR to try this out, it's a really game changer.

Nice! I can't say I notice any jitters with my Aero running through Steam VR but good to know as there are a lot of WMR users out there.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Dear @BIGNEWY, sorry to disturb.

You mentioned that it's possible to forward the ideas to the team. Based on my previous reply at least the WMR headsets CAN apply stabilization right now when using OpenXR.

15 hours ago, St4rgun said:

Based on that it's worth checking the existing solutions on other VR platforms as well, but it can still provide a proof that the HMD movement stabilization is not only usable, but MANDATORY for DCS. If all platforms already have proper solution then it's great, it will not need any further development.

• ED Team

Hi, again I will mention it to the team, but can not promise anything. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Please please I hope ED can provide a universal shakiness reducer for VR.

It is not just the IHAADS but the mouse cursor too. It is tiresome focusing my head still and wrestling the cursor with my mouse to push the intended button.  The rest of the world is smooth and no jitters, only what is virtually connected to my pilot's head is shaky.

I agree with @St4rgun ... Something akin to a head tracking noise filter is desperately needed for VR.  Not a dead zone or resolution gimper, a filter to get rid of the micro movements like the vein pulsing in my temple because of the rage. 

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

22 hours ago, Fuggzy said:

Please please I hope ED can provide a universal shakiness reducer for VR.

It is not just the IHAADS but the mouse cursor too. It is tiresome focusing my head still and wrestling the cursor with my mouse to push the intended button.  The rest of the world is smooth and no jitters, only what is virtually connected to my pilot's head is shaky.

I agree with @St4rgun ... Something akin to a head tracking noise filter is desperately needed for VR.  Not a dead zone or resolution gimper, a filter to get rid of the micro movements like the vein pulsing in my temple because of the rage. 

Fuggzy, if you are using WMR with OpenXR then you"re lucky too.

Check out my previous post about OpenXR Toolkit's shaking reduction feature, it's a blessing. It really makes wonders.

If using Oculus or Varjo then I can't help, maybe someone have a solution for those users too.

Edited by St4rgun

2 minutes ago, St4rgun said:

Check out my previous post about OpenXR Toolkit's shaking reduction feature, it's a blessing. It really makes wonders.

If using Oculus or Varjo then I can't help, maybe someone have a solution for those users too.

Not seeing this behavior in my Aero, least that I can tell.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

13 hours ago, St4rgun said:

Hi St4rgun, I got super excited about your other thread talking about your OpenXR find...  but I'm on Oculus.  And I found it interesting the parameter used to be called "Prediction".  So I researched more, lol.  The problem we're having is Prediction... the headset IS seeing tiny movements and trying to helpfully anticipate bigger movements, in an effort to cover the latency gap between a person's real head movement and virtual.  In fact, Quest Oculus Meta touts on their website how awesome their Prediction is.  It's very smart and works well, except for titles like DCS where it becomes apparent.  It just happens that the concept of HMCS/IHAADS -- a face mounted pointer with a distant sight picture, is a new thing to the VR problem with this prediction tech.  Every HMD maker needs to wise up and make this configurable.  I hope some super smart code monkey wishes to develop a 3rd party solution in the meantime. 😉 

I did make some minor progress forward in this area by simply turning on all the lights in the room and turning off my monitor.  The hypothesis goes that this helps the tracking predict more reliably with less false movements, I think.  If it does help, it's so subtle that I admit it might be placebo, I don't know.  It seems to jitter less when the headset cameras have a stable, well-lit environment and no movement from a monitor 3 feet away.  Still not enough help though.

Edited by Fuggzy

It's a pity that Meta's headsets lagging behind on this field. On the Reverb G2 it is obvious that the small jitter is caused by the very fine movements (pulse mainly), but it's aggregated by the IHADSS implementation of ED as we discussed before. I hope that ED can think about some standardized solution, as @BIGNEWY also uses Reverb G2, so he can try out the existing shaking reduction of OpenXR Toolkit to convince the team about the feasibility and usefulness of the filtering.

Occasionally I do see this issue, and it can be as subtle as an elevated heartbeat/pulse causing a slight movement of the HMD. It's mainly noticeable to me at least, when stationary. I have just upped the shaking reduction to -20%, and it seems to alleviate the issue for me.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, zildac said:

Occasionally I do see this issue, and it can be as subtle as an elevated heartbeat/pulse causing a slight movement of the HMD. It's mainly noticeable to me at least, when stationary. I have just upped the shaking reduction to -20%, and it seems to alleviate the issue for me.

Try out the -50% or even -70% reducion. All the symbology will be silky smooth and stable in air.

Try out the -50% or even -70% reducion. All the symbology will be silky smooth and stable in air.
Will try it out, thanks.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 1 month later...

@BIGNEWY would it also be possible to change size and color of the cursor? I woul love to be able to change the size and color of it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

This whole problem has consumed me, I find it a very interesting problem that certainly wasn't forseen in VR world. I've figured out a way to illustrate the gist of it:

First, a fact:  VR headset motion/position tracking resolution is an order of magnitude more precise than TrackIR.  e.g. Quest2 is particularly proud of their ultra high resolution tracking, and they are not lying.

OK, let's begin the experiment.

• On a dark evening, duct tape a laser pointer to your head such that it shines directly forward. Proceed to your backyard.
  • Stand at one end of the yard such that you can shine the laser dot on a flat surface as far as you can get from it.  30yds/m is enough.
  • Now, hold that laser dot exactly still, using your head.  ...  It's ok, you can sit and try again. 🙂 ...  Prone? Of course, go for it. ... Dang that's impossible, IKR?

Ok now we ponder this

• Observe that while your head jitters continually, one's brain is continually stabilizing the full-world FOV.  The world around the backyard is perfectly stable, as if none of these tiny head movements exist.  It gets even crazier that our eyes are also going crazy micro-moving without ever stopping, and we have zero perception of it.  That old meatball up there is doing camera stabilization of GoPro's wildest dreams, all the time.  But the brain cannot smooth out that laser dot, it is an external metric that exposes the movement that is countered automatically out of our vision.
  • The helmet mounted devices in DCS are like laser pointers, affixed to our virtual heads which are married to our high-resolution VR head trackers. If you really watch closely at the outside edge of your FOV where the mask is, you'll notice that yep your head is moving relative to the view, and it matches the IHAADS... but the freaky thing here is that your brain is making the VR world view smooth as silk exactly like it does in RL view. -- BUT it cannot mask the motion of the laser pointer, in this case the helmet symbology.

In summary, the problem here is that everything -- the VR headsets, DCS, implementation -- work perfectly, exactly as designed, and better than expected. This is a problem that I believe only dynamic focus lens headsets of the future will truly solve.  Pretty neat.  But man the jittering.  I just map a control on HOTAS to on/off and use it only for combat.  I still think the headset makers could add a slider into the headset tracking setup that detunes the tracking resolution to be in larger steps or something. But that would never happen, because in 99% of games you'd never see this phenomenon, only those where there happens to be a pointer thing attached to your virtual head in the game.

Edited by Fuggzy

How does the real aviation HMCS systems deal with that, I wonder? Because the HMCS is, in fact, a display affixed in front of your head, almost just like a VR headset. It's just as precise in its tracking as a VR headset is (it uses magnetic sensors, as opposed to IR lasers or cameras, but this system is just as good), and the symbology is just as much a "laser pointer" as it is in DCS. This might be just the way these displays are, and there's no "problem" to solve, other than the fact that real displays of that sort have their peculiarities. IRL, you usually have a hands-on switch to blank the HMCS (unless you're flying the Apache, but then, the monocle is known to take some getting used to, to say the least). 

Myself, I don't have any problems with jittering on my G2, it follows the movement of my head exactly like I'd imagine a real HMCS does. Having it in only one eye is weird, particularly since I'm somewhat ambidexterous so my brain on occasion can't quite decide if it's there or not, but it stopped bothering me. It's not stable in relation to the outside world, but neither is the real thing, since it's literally on your head, and even weighs it down in a similar way to a VR headset.

Edited by Dragon1-1

I've notices the massive jitter of the IHADSS right away with the AH-64 and was wondering why noone reported it at all. It's typically the headtracker symbol that keeps jumping around constantly and as there's no such thing in other Hammickses, I never saw an issue there except for jittering datalink related things that I couldn't see on pancake footage on the Tube either. Now the real question is: Why does this only happen VR, but not with TrackIR, mouse movement or whatever?

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On 7/14/2022 at 1:25 PM, Eldur said:

I've notices the massive jitter of the IHADSS right away with the AH-64 and was wondering why noone reported it at all. It's typically the headtracker symbol that keeps jumping around constantly and as there's no such thing in other Hammickses, I never saw an issue there except for jittering datalink related things that I couldn't see on pancake footage on the Tube either. Now the real question is: Why does this only happen VR, but not with TrackIR, mouse movement or whatever?

Because TrackIR has an inbuilt smoother and it looks like VR headsets tracking has way higher resolution than TrackIR or similar

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

As I wrote previously the OpenXR WMR headsets (G2) can use the OpenXR Toolkit's inbuilt shaking reduction to smooth out the jitter of the IHADSS perfectly.

And this is not only IHADSS related, it also helps a LOT in general to stabilize the view. All other modules with HMDs (A-10C II, F-16, F/A-18) are night and day when this shaking reduction is switched on.