Hornet Grip weapon control switch replacement video

Diesel_Thunder

I've been having some trouble with the Hornet grip that I got for Christmas, namely with the weapon control switch. Mine would stick when thumbing it forward forward or aft, and recently would sometimes not register a button press in the aft direction. Opened a warranty case with Thrustmaster and they sent me a new switch with the instructions on how to replace it.

Thought it would be a help to others that may have to deal with this so I filmed the repair and uploaded it to my channel.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Thanks 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Great video, I had the same problem with the F18 grip and sent it back to an Amazon dealer. I may try again but from the Thrustmaster site. Those sticks are a hit miss when purchased and I know a few people that have sent them back to Amazon and I really don't think the dealers are fixing them but just putting them back up for sale. Great video !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 5/7/2022 at 9:51 AM, Burt said:

Great video, I had the same problem with the F18 grip and sent it back to an Amazon dealer. I may try again but from the Thrustmaster site. Those sticks are a hit miss when purchased and I know a few people that have sent them back to Amazon and I really don't think the dealers are fixing them but just putting them back up for sale. Great video !

Thank you!

Mine was straight from Thrustmaster, my wife ordered it from their website as a Christmas gift for me. Dealing with TM was pretty straightforward. It can take up to 3 business days for them to initially respond if you put in a warranty case though.

I will say that after reading other posts about this switch, having to force it out of it’s hole is not uncommon when fixing these sticks. Thankfully since the grip is metal, it doesn’t seem damage the hole if you have to do that. The CMS switch on the Warthog/Viper stick has the same difficulty with removal, as it is mounted about the same way and you can only access one side of it.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Thanks 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I’m giving it another go from thrustmaster I hope I get a good one or I’m going Virpil. Should be delivered tommorrow. Getting ready for the F-15E. I think I want to open it up and make sure the shaft screws are tight and secured. My TM viper gripe got loose after 3 years.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020