What do you think about burble effect ?

Zodiacc

It kicks-in too late and too much IMO.

I completely agree. I was just waiting for someone to talk about it. I thought I was the only one who got this impression. Analysis with Tacview highlights just this, even with different FA-18 loadout configurations. A big challenge compared to before, at least for me.

I fly both the Tomcat and the Bug.  IN the Tomcat, it's there, but I don't really notice it--I think I just got used to factoring it into my traps.

Now the Hornet, I just tried today and I was on the ball and CL all the way and when I got to the ramp, boom, that burble dropped me right down on the deck, like an express elevator.  It was so sudden, I didn't know what happened and then it dawned on me that there is a burble now.

v6,

boNes

• Like 2

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I don't think I've experienced it yet, though I typically have higher natural wind at an angle to eliminate x-wind component, which would "blow" the burble'd air starboard of the aproach. I'm wondering if wind direction/speed is modeled in both ED's burble and HB's burble. Burble should be strongest with 0 natural wind and carrier at 27kts, etc. Might need to test if I ever get around to it.

• Like 2

I did some tests this morning. While keeping wind on the deck constant of about 26-30 kts, I changed the intensity of the wind each time (from 5 to 25 kts). Almost all landings were rated C: 3PTSIW WIRE # 2, some OK: _LOAR_ WIRE # 2 or 4. I always noticed an upward push between the AR and IW, which lowers the nose of the FA-18 (or raises the rear) just before contact. A little bit of throttle and bolter. I also tried several On-speed AoAs, from 7 to 9.5, but nothing has changed, always an upward push between the AR and IW. I'm trying to figure out how I can now improve my landings or if the burble effect (again WIP, I know) needs to be revised extensively. Grading of my previous landings was quite high and steady. Thanks to those who shared their impressions about this effect.

This looks like the FCS bug that has been driving the ever persistent reverse ground effect bug is also driving this. It seems in general:

Airframe pushed down = nose goes up

Airframe pushed up = nose goes down

So we see the nose go up then down during a carrier approach as the airframe falls in close and is pushed back up at the ramp.

Similarly, we see the nose get pulled down at a shore landing because the airframe is being pushed up by the ground effect of the runway.

So to conclude, it is now obvious that EDs priority needs to be correcting the 'nose suck' bug, to resolve both the burble issues and the revers ground effect issues.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

When this ACLS frenzy fades away and people will start fly CASE I again, I hope more people will notice this abrupt nose down behaviour when at the ramp. As far as I remember, it was not there before the patch; not being a real-life carrier qualified FA-18 pilot, I can only speculate but that quick change of attitude does feels strange to me... 🤔

P.S. Wands at night are awesome though

13 hours ago, Swift. said:

This looks like the FCS bug that has been driving the ever persistent reverse ground effect bug is also driving this. It seems in general:

Airframe pushed down = nose goes up

Airframe pushed up = nose goes down

So we see the nose go up then down during a carrier approach as the airframe falls in close and is pushed back up at the ramp.

Similarly, we see the nose get pulled down at a shore landing because the airframe is being pushed up by the ground effect of the runway.

So to conclude, it is now obvious that EDs priority needs to be correcting the 'nose suck' bug, to resolve both the burble issues and the revers ground effect issues.

Question for ya, don't have allot of time in Hornet as been waiting for it to be mostly complete, anyways I always have turbulence set in mission editor between 22-36,  i notice the f18 goes bonkers up and down with it on shore landings.  What you just posted have to do with this or am I missing something?

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

hace 11 minutos, rcjonessnp175 dijo:

Question for ya, don't have allot of time in Hornet as been waiting for it to be mostly complete, anyways I always have turbulence set in mission editor between 22-36,  i notice the f18 goes bonkers up and down with it on shore landings.  What you just posted have to do with this or am I missing something?

Nothing to do with the discussion here. The turbulence is fine and to be honest, between 22-36 ft/s is significant... 😉

My post (I speak for myself only) was about the change of attitude of the aircraft just before it touches down: sudden decrese of AoA (marked by the AoA indexer) with nose going down (and tail going up).

Edited by Tusky

1 minute ago, Tusky said:

Nothing to do with the discussion here. The turbulence is fine and to be honest, between 22-36 ft/s is significant... 😉

My post (I speak for myself only) was about the change of attitude of the aircraft just before it touches down: sudden decrese of AoA (marked by the AoA indexer) and nose going down (and tail going up).

Be a forum police all ya want, could all be connected as its dealing with the flight model yes.....

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

I am also puzzled by the burble. I'd say 80% of my CASE 1 approaches are now rated C and 3PTSIW. I understand why a burble could cause an increased sink rate. But this nose down effect iis killing me. I started to develop a habit to pull the stick almost fully backwards, and add some throttle over the deck. Feels rather unnatural.

• Like 1

I felt like the burble had an extremely excessive pitch up effect when I first tested it in the F18 Supercarrier Case I mission

However, during my last full mission landing the burble felt totally reasonable. I wonder if that instant action mission is out of date/bugged or something or perhaps the WOD in that mission is wrong causing an exasperated burble because it felt fine in my mission.

I'll have to look into to further.

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

After some more time behind the boat, I'm starting to notice it. I haven't experienced a clear downdraft or any nose-up or nose-down, and I've miraculously avoided the infamous 3PTS grades, but just before the ramp I get a huge updraft that causes a bolter or 4-wire. I have to significantly reduce throttle at the ramp, then add power once I get back on glideslope. At which point the LSO gives me a waveoff at the bolter when he should have waved me off at the ramp, or EGIW when my eased-gun was before the ramp. Cut passes for days.

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

After some more time behind the boat, I'm starting to notice it. I haven't experienced a clear downdraft or any nose-up or nose-down, and I've miraculously avoided the infamous 3PTS grades, but just before the ramp I get a huge updraft that causes a bolter or 4-wire. I have to significantly reduce throttle at the ramp, then add power once I get back on glideslope. At which point the LSO gives me a waveoff at the bolter when he should have waved me off at the ramp, or EGIW when my eased-gun was before the ramp. Cut passes for days.

Same here. Updraft just as I cross the ramp and an EGIW with the associated cut-pass. Haven't tried the Tomcat yet.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

On the 2 or 3 occasions that I conscientiously thought to myself 'we now have the burble right at touchdown, need to be aware'; well on those occasions I boltered!  On the multiple occasions where I haven't worry about it at all, I hooked up without any problem.  

Let me attach a couple of tracks then. This one is my typical pass: Cut and 3 Points. When the burble effect kicks in, AoA becomes unstable. Even pulling the stick all the way back does not help.

burble_cut_3pts.trk

And this one, with the same weather conditions, is that rare occasion when I didn't exceed the 3 Points threshold from the point of view of the LSO.

burble_ok.trk

Did a quick test with Wake Turbulence forced off and the burble doesn't exist (or wasn't noticeable). I guess that makes sense as it would use that model to apply the effect.

Attached the track with Wake Turbulence off for reference. Apologies for fiddling around in the beginning, didn't originally intend to make a track file to post

made one with Wake turned back on for comparison... Carrier is 24 kts with ~6 kts headwind

NoWakeTurb.trk

With Wake Turbulence from above post.

WakeTurb.trk

• Thanks 1

I have wake turbulence off and do experience a bit of a burble. It's hard to quantify but it typically ends up in me floating over the wires into a bolter in CASE I. In CASE III I come in with a low-ball, then end up floating up across the ramp to snag the 4-wire. I can't drive it straight down the glideslope like I used to.

Edited by Nealius