A Question about ACLS and Case I Approach!

JOEM423
Go to solution Solved by pokeraccio,

I can get a Case II or III just ACLS just fine, but when trying the same approach during the day in clear weather, I get Nothing! I have a valid talkback on the Link4 but thats it! Any Ideas??? And can someone explain the Differences in Modes! Wags said you can do a Mode 1 ACLS landing in his training video!

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by JOEM423

• JOEM423 changed the title to A Question about ACLS and Case I Approach!

Mode 1 is completely hands-free until touchdown.

Mode 1A is hands-free until visual acquisition of the IFLOLS.

Mode 2 is completely hands-on with ACL cues provided as reference.

AFAIK, ACLS is not used in Case I, since it's a visual approach.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

1 hour ago, Tholozor said:

Mode 1 is completely hands-free until touchdown.

Mode 1A is hands-free until visual acquisition of the IFLOLS.

Mode 2 is completely hands-on with ACL cues provided as reference.

AFAIK, ACLS is not used in Case I, since it's a visual approach.

this  type of  answers  and  tips  should  be  pinned  at the  top  in a  seperate  thread  would  make it  alot  easier  for users   to  find  tips  etc  and  saves  looking  thru  the  tread  for  answers

• Like 1

So, if you build a quick mission in editor to try it out, you have to drop the weather to force the case 2 or case 3 approach? If you leave the weather clear skies, it will be a case 1? Or is there something else to do to for the case 2 or case 3 approach to populate? 

2 hours ago, Sarge_DL said:

So, if you build a quick mission in editor to try it out, you have to drop the weather to force the case 2 or case 3 approach? If you leave the weather clear skies, it will be a case 1? Or is there something else to do to for the case 2 or case 3 approach to populate? 

I haven't tested but I'm hoping night time will drive case 3 aswell

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• Solution
2 hours ago, Sarge_DL said:

Night time it is enough to trigger case 3 recovery.

ref. Supercarrier manual

Case II Recovery 

Case II recovery occurs during daylight hours when conditions may be poor on the approach but adequate for landing under visual flight rules. The cloud ceiling must be above 1,000 feet and visibility more than 5 nm. This can be thought of as a combination of Case I and Case III. The Case III procedures are used outside 10 nm and Case I procedures are used inside 10 nm. For a CASE II recovery, you will radio “see you at 10” when the aircraft is 10 nm from the carrier just as on a Case I recovery. Radio control is transferred from the approach controller to the tower controller. At this point, the pilot performs an overhead break and landing. No Case I holding stack is required. 

Case III Recovery 

Case III recovery occurs when any cloud celling is below 1,000 feet or when visibility is less than 5 nm regardless of cloud ceiling. All night operations are conducted in Case III

Edited by pokeraccio
Reference

In the case of Non Super carrier install you wil only get ACLS if the WX is bad enough to get Case 3 (or night). Anything else and at the ACLS pick up point around 5.4nm(where Tadpole appears) the ACL 1 annunciation goes away and the DL goes int T/C mode..... though T/C mode is redundant in the non Super carrier install.

I presume the same applies with Super carrier install ... that is you need the WX to be CASE III (or night) to be able to get ACLS symbolgy

On 4/30/2022 at 10:14 AM, pokeraccio said:

Case II recovery .... The cloud ceiling must be above 1,000 feet and visibility more than 5 nm.

Case I if WX 3000-5 or above. (Visibility 3000 feet and 5 NM).

Case II, if WX below 3000-5. (Ceiling under 3000 feet OR visibility less than 5 NM)

Case III if WX below 1000-5. Just nitpicking... 🙂

Edited by Razor18

43 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

Case I if WX 3000-5 or above. (Visibility 3000 feet and 5 NM).

Case II, if WX below 3000-5. (Ceiling under 3000 feet OR visibility less than 5 NM)

Case III if WX below 1000-5. Just nitpicking... 🙂

Case 1: will not encounter IMC, weather inside CCZ >3000-5

Case 2: May encounter IMC, weather in CCZ >1000-5

Case 3: Will encounter IMC, weather in CCZ <1000-5. Or nighttime from 30 mins before last light to 30 mins after first light.

Not sure where you got your Under 3000 OR less than 5NM thing from. If the Vis is less than 5, it's case 3

Oh yeah, you're right abount horizontal visibility "logic"!

I was rather pointing to Case II "above 1000" condition, because Case I is in fact also includes "above 1000", but you only switch from Case II to Case I, if ceiling goes above 3000, right?

😊

2 hours ago, Razor18 said:

Oh yeah, you're right abount horizontal visibility "logic"!

I was rather pointing to Case II "above 1000" condition, because Case I is in fact also includes "above 1000", but you only switch from Case II to Case I, if ceiling goes above 3000, right?

😊

The verbatim answer from the book is Case 2 is above 1000ft ceiling, case is above 3000ft ceiling. Interpret that how you will