Is there a way to replace my plane with a static after switching slots?

Blinx 21

As the title suggests...I ask if there's a script or a way of keeping a copy of the plane, a static, where I left it after landing on an airfield or wherever, instead of de-spawning when using the "Choose Slot" menu (Singleplayer), aka changing to another plane.

I'd like to see the plane I flew for hours where I left it as I change to another airplane in the same airport, it's a bit more realistic and gives a feel of accomplishment but I totally understand if there's a limitation to this or if it's not possible at all 😄 

I tried a mod provided in a reply to this post called SWAPR which is fantastic and it fills the airfield with "life" so to speak, it's similar to what I'm describing but it doesn't replace the live plane with a static after switching.
It'd be awesome to have the plane I poorly parked next to another static client plane, switching to that client plane and seeing the static just as I left it.

However, I have no idea how to do scripting in LUA, much less MOOSE so, I ask if anyone out there knows of someone with the same question or if someone would be able to create what I'm asking for or something else. It'd be immensely appreciated! 😀

Edited by Blinx 21
Update and clarification
  • Like 1

Outta my way, son 🔊

Door Stuck_gif.gif

I have not used this Script in a long time, since I shied away from the Multiplayer scene, so I'm not sure if it still works ... but perhaps you could give it a try:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

@Rudel_chw
Hi there, hope everything is well. 

@Blinx 21
SWAPR isn't what you're looking for, since it'll remove your aircraft when you change slots.

However, the feature you're requesting (or at least something similar) should be doable with a script. 
You won't be able to keep your planes spawned after you switch slots, but you should be able to spawn "clones" at the approximate location / airbase you left them.

Do you have scripting experience in DCS?

Edited by Hardcard
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hardcard said:

You won't be able to keep your planes spawned after you switch slots, but you should be able to spawn "clones" at the approximate location / airbase you left them.

I agree that above should be doable - with one important caveat: you cannot switch back to any plane that you left and expect to respawn where you last left that plane. The static stand-in may still be where you left it last time, but if you spawn anew in a plane that you left before, it will spawn at it's original location, no matter where you left a static stand-in.

Edited by cfrag

16 hours ago, Hardcard said:

Do you have scripting experience in DCS?

Keeping a static replacement where I left my plane is exactly what I'm looking for, not a flyable one.
To answer your question, I have no experience doing script work for DCS.

• Like 1

Outta my way, son 🔊

Door Stuck_gif.gif

• Blinx 21 changed the title to Is there a way to replace my plane with a static after switching slots?

@Blinx 21

Aside from what @cfrag mentioned, it might very well be that there's no way to make the static replacement spawn exactly where you left your aircraft (also, it might be removed after a while).  

DCS has an obscure airbase cleanup routine which removes and relocates client and AI aircraft... it shouldn't affect static replacements, but Murphy's law tends to apply 😅

In any case, you'll definitely need a script to do this, there's no way of doing it in Mission Editor.
I can give you pointers on how to script this, if you're interested in learning basic Lua and DCS Lua.
Regarding MOOSE, think of it as a pre-cooked meal, it makes DCS scripting quicker and easier, but it's not required, you can write your scripts in DCS Lua (which is what MOOSE does under the hood)

Edited by Hardcard

14 hours ago, Hardcard said:

In any case, you'll definitely need a script to do this, there's no way of doing it in Mission Editor.
I can give you pointers on how to script this, if you're interested in learning basic Lua and DCS Lua.

If it wouldn't be an inconvenience then I'd be very interested in learning the basics of Lua and have guidance on how to do this 😄

Outta my way, son 🔊

Door Stuck_gif.gif