VR was jittery and jumpy, until ....

Stringer52

I  recently started using the Oculus Quest 2 in DCS, and after a very short time, I was ready to throw it out the door.

For some reason, as soon as I appeared in the cockpit, the view became all jittery and the scene was tearing as I moved my head around.

I searched every forum and site I could find, trying to fix this. Changed this setting and that setting. No go.

After narrowing it down to the headset tracking, I even installed a new overhead light in the empty bedroom where I had it set up, thinking the room wasn't bright enough. No change.

Perhaps it was the PC monitor causing bad reflections. So, I mounted the monitor onto the wall, separating it and the desk on which I had my Thrustmaster HOTAS mounted. As soon as I activated VR, I turned the monitor off. Problem still there.

I moved the desk to the middle of the room .... still no difference.

The last thing I could think of doing was to isolate the headset. So, there I sat, in the middle of the room, just me and the headset.

Lo and behold, the jitters and tearing stopped. Problem solved. It was the desk the HOTAS was mounted on that was causing the tracking problem. 

So, I took an old office chair that was gathering dust in the garage and built myself this little rig that leaves the immediate area clear of any obstacles.

It sits serenely in the corner, leaving half of the room for a Guardian area whenever I'm using the Oculus for some other task.

The Spitfire in DCS looks and performs wonderfully in VR. Good thing, too. I was ready  to move to another house in a different state.

DCS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DCS and MSFS 2020 were the only apps I used in VR while sitting at my desk.

All the others - of which there are only a couple (I'm not too into VR yet) - were played sitting or standing in the middle of the room, so no jitters. And not while going through the VR setup.

I did notice a little tracking problem when I played Lone Echo (using PC Link cable), but it cleared up when I moved to the middle of the room.

I suppose I should move back to the desk to test it out, but whether that is why the jitters stopped or not, it works for me, and I'm leaving well enough alone.