Lessons learned or 'observed' from recent events, via open sources.

Judging by KA-52 utilization.

Extensive use in daylight combat with cannon and rocket attack strafe with ranges of few hundred meters against medium (BTR and BMP) targets, from low treetop altitude at high speed. Opposed to NATO tactics which prescribe standoff ranges or terrain mask when engaging targets.

Attack cell of three , with probing attack by brave single ship to draw fire. 

Volunerable to MANPADS. High losses. ineffective MANPADS countermeasures. Probably becouse of combined IR/UV imaging. Losses to Stinger (US), Polish Piorun (higher effectiveness then FIM-92), and IGLA-2 family. But survivable to the crew. Two airframes on ground, heavily damaged, but ejection system not used by crew. Cabin relatively intact, including glass cockpit elements. Likely volunerable to AAA but appears that majority of losses is due to MANPADS. 

Not seen , at least by me, in footage, as team with MI-24/35 family. Which I find surprising. I thought that KA-52 would be used as scout and target finder for Hinds.

Actual combat livery is gray green Russian Army style, not dark grey RuAF.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Main thing I've noticed is it appears a hell of a lot safer to be in a Ka-52 than an Mi-28. Seen videos of both taking hits, yet to see a Ka-52 go down in such a way that the crew would have been in real danger, looks like every Mi-28 that went down killed the crew in the process. And yeah, they seem to favor rockets and guns a lot, but that makes sense. A hovering attack in forested or populated area is suicidal. I've seen a few choppers attempt that and they keep getting whacked with ATGM's. I've also noticed the countermeasures seem pretty effective. More than a few videos out there of Ka-52's spoofing many manpads before one finally scores a hit.

It is worth mentioning the propaganda war is pretty fierce. In the US it's next to impossible to see any thing except the Ukrainian videos and they are all heavily edited. Most are completely useless for figuring out what's actually going in a particular fight.

• Like 2

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.