I don't like, not immersive.

Go to solution Solved by Lurz,

very little work on documentations, well below what is being done.

For dialogues it looks like siri.

is not worth the price when compared to other campaigns that are being done.

No interactivity. poor comms.

Even some free campaigns are better.

How can we make pay for such a lack of work, and especially compared to the harm that some give themselves.

Edited by Blackflys56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

agreed, id love to see what you have in the future, its just that this feels like something I would download for free. especially sinsce there's better options for campaigns compared to this at the price point it is at, for instance, OPF is the same price but feels like it is worth every penny. Again, I'm not saying that you can't do great campaigns, I'm just saying that the product is not worth the price in this instance

very little work on documentations, well below what is being done.

I'm sorry you feel this way. We created the documentation which we felt was everything you would need to complete the mission. The Flightplans, Datasheet, and target images are similar to what aircrew are actually briefed on. 

What else are you looking for in the way of documentation?

For dialogues it looks like siri.

Again, I am sorry you feel this way. There are over 1400 scripted lines which were read by professional voice actors. Have you actually played the campaign yet?

is not worth the price when compared to other campaigns that are being done.

I am disappointed that you aren't happy with this product. I took four months to develop and another four months to edit. We put ALOT of effort into it.

Hi,

I hear and value your inputs but really need some specifics before I know how and what changes need to be made.

Specifically, what do you like? What do you dislike? What would you change?

That campaign definitely needs a lot more work to be at the level it should be.

Really doesn't give me much to go on.

- Mission 1, on the route in, listening to a conversation about some chicks wedding and her fiance' problems instead of a conversation more relevant

- Not including PDF briefings. I prefer to use a second monitor rather then have 1/5th of the screen taken by a 2 dimensional rectangle. Considering also that it is a knee board which you would (realistically) move your head to view.

- information on 20+ airports in each knee board and pages of information how to use your weapons in each knee board briefing. It would be way better to have all that extra stuff in a single PDF and save having to scroll through a 40 - 50 pages of knee board info.

- some of the briefing photos of targets (mission 3) do not show north direction and really do not show much information except a pretty picture of the unit itself, making them basically a postcard. All targets surround the airfields so its not much of an issue. Something to keep in mind though.

Although I am stuck on mission 3, I have still enjoyed doing the missions so far and I'm sure I will enjoy the rest once you patch it up as you have mentioned in another post. I hope you continue to make more content.

6 hours ago, Rattles said:

- Mission 1, on the route in, listening to a conversation about some chicks wedding and her fiance' problems instead of a conversation more relevant

Point taken but I was attempting to mimic a long duration flight and the things that aircrew talk about to stay awake/sane. I was also trying to add perspective to some of the hardships which we have to deal which with deployments/frequent TDY's but point taken. 

- Not including PDF briefings. I prefer to use a second monitor rather then have 1/5th of the screen taken by a 2 dimensional rectangle. Considering also that it is a knee board which you would (realistically) move your head to view.

Again, point taken and I get it but when I first started playing DCS I went through a couple of campaigns before I became aware of the Doc files and the supporting documentation so I was trying to make the extra info available from the cockpit without having to stop the game. I usually only use one monitor (laptop) and I am guessing many other players do as well.

In any event, I'll rethink this in the future.

One other thing, apparently the Doc folder is missing and wasn't included in the download. I went to ALOT of trouble creating those documents and am REALLY disappointed in ED for not including them in the download for whatever reason.

In any event, I uploaded the documents to the User Files section of the website and should be available for download soon. I'll let everyone know when they are available for download.

- information on 20+ airports in each knee board and pages of information how to use your weapons in each knee board briefing. It would be way better to have all that extra stuff in a single PDF and save having to scroll through a 40 - 50 pages of knee board info.

The airport info isn't me. That's DCS world and I have no control over that. It's added automatically per map you are flying.

- some of the briefing photos of targets (mission 3) do not show north direction and really do not show much information except a pretty picture of the unit itself, making them basically a postcard. All targets surround the airfields so its not much of an issue. Something to keep in mind though.

Other than not having the North marked I thought the intel photos were pretty realistic and about as lifelike as any Intel briefing I've sat in. I'm not sure what more you would want. I think anything more would eliminate any spontaneity in the game and make it more spoon-fed. War sucks and more times than not a sortie will get diverted with NO intel support and no hard data other than call signs and frequencies.

Although I am stuck on mission 3, I have still enjoyed doing the missions so far and I'm sure I will enjoy the rest once you patch it up as you have mentioned in another post. I hope you continue to make more content.

Skip Mission 3. It's a mess and I'm working on it right now. When it's ready I'll notify everyone and make it available for download.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to provide the valuable inputs. I REALLY appreciate the effort.

John

• Like 2

Hallo John, I  can Imagine that it is hard to get criticized for something that took a lot of work. What I really appreciate is your response and open mind to that. So I am going to buy the campaign anyhow because I am sure things that are not perfect yet will get sorted out in the future 😉

• Thanks 1

🖥️ i5-13600K, 64GB DDR4 3200, RTX4090 24GB, M2 PCIe 1TB   🥽 Pimax Crystal   🕹️ Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster TPR Rudders

Wow, Thank you VERY much. You don't know how much I appreciate your support. Yes, apparently there are a few problems but I'm getting them worked out one by one. I truly hope you have fun with the campaign. I wanted to make it challenging but mostly fun to play.

My best,

John

• Solution

Something is not right with mission 4 ...probably. I replayed it a few times and noticed that if you are not hurry enough to kill JTAC team, then you can not proceed. No messages and choppers did not appeared. Also sometimes the smoke option from F10 menu doesn`t work. What I mean: I sended commands to choppers to release a smoke, then smoke off, few times like that and lastly the choppers were unable to stop the smoke. Probably some DCS-sm , just reporting my osbervations

Edited by Lurz

• 8 months later...

Just started campaign, no negative feelings, I like it.
Someone said conversation about wedding is not relevant but I think opposite. They are alive people and can chat about anything, even about  practical jokes last night.
No PDFs, I can live without that but Mission 2 for example has mistake with bridge photos. The same bridge on two different photos marked as bridge 1 and bridge 2.
Let's say intelligence officer made a mistake ( make mission more realistic 🙂 )
But task itself - destroy bridges and as many enemy vehicles as possible.
I would prefer:
Mission 2 - destroy bridges, Apaches will do the rest. So you take weapons for AA suppression and for two bridges.
Mission 3 - Apaches had problems and could not destroy enough. Your task - destroy at least half enemies next to bridges which were destroyed in the previous mission.
In such case I would see some gradual progress in campaign.

And one more good feature to add (by my opinion), probably not for this campaign but for others.
I saw it in some other old camping in one mission only though - side chatter.
I mean I heard how Overlord directed some other flight to some other target which is completely irrelevant to my mission. And that flight responded, some thing like, done, RTB and so on.
It gives you feeling you are not entirely alone and you do not need to setup specific freq to hear other flights, Overlord kind of common.

I did not finish Mission 2 yet, maybe I will hear Apaches....
🙂

On 5/5/2022 at 3:08 PM, Lurz said:

Something is not right with mission 4 ...probably. I replayed it a few times and noticed that if you are not hurry enough to kill JTAC team, then you can not proceed. No messages and choppers did not appeared. Also sometimes the smoke option from F10 menu doesn`t work. What I mean: I sended commands to choppers to release a smoke, then smoke off, few times like that and lastly the choppers were unable to stop the smoke. Probably some DCS-sm , just reporting my osbervations

@LurzHello and my apologies for not responding sooner. I missed this message. I can confirm this was a problem and I've fixed it since you reported this problem and also developed a new script for the helo smoke which I'm hoping will not break in future DCS World updates.

Thanks for pointing it out. I'm finishing up a complete top-to-bottom review of the campaign so look for it to be released with the next DCS World update (God willing and the river don't rise).

Thanks again,

John

Edited by King39
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Odessa said:

Just started campaign, no negative feelings, I like it.

@OdessaGreat. I'm glad. Thank you.

Someone said conversation about wedding is not relevant but I think opposite. They are alive people and can chat about anything, even about  practical jokes last night.

I agree it's not relevant but I was trying to reflect the hardships and difficulties which professional soldiers in the U.S. military encounter when deployed. I probably won't do this for future campaigns but it was important for me at the time because as I was creating this campaign, I learned of a friend of mine took his life due to the hardships he had to endure after returning from his fifth deployment. His death hit me very hard and I wanted to try to reflect that in the campaign.

No PDFs,

I thought long and hard about not having mission PDF's in the Doc folder but I didn't want players looking ahead and anticipating upcoming missions which I consider cheating. Other than that, DCS World doesn't offer a way to "unlock" mission PDF's prior to teach mission so I decided to not include them in the Doc folder. I would love to allow the player to be able to read a pdf document prior to "stepping" to the jet (or even include the player in the preflight mission briefing) but there isn't a way (that I know of) to do that in DCS. I've heard rumors of a "briefing room" being planned for a future update but only for the Supercarrier.

18 hours ago, Odessa said:

And one more good feature to add (by my opinion), probably not for this campaign but for others.
I saw it in some other old camping in one mission only though - side chatter.
I mean I heard how Overlord directed some other flight to some other target which is completely irrelevant to my mission. And that flight responded, some thing like, done, RTB and so on.
It gives you feeling you are not entirely alone and you do not need to setup specific freq to hear other flights, Overlord kind of common.

I agree and initially had most of the mission AI aircraft on the same frequency to give a little background chatter but had my wrist slapped by several Beta testers who pointed out that other aircraft would be on different frequencies so I changed that prior to releasing the campaign.

It's been my personal experience that most, if not all, mission "players" would be on the same frequency so as to enable coordination and deconfliction. But, what do I know. I was just a non-aircrew Mission Essential Personnel (MEP) in my in-flight duties. Having said that, I'm finishing up a complete top-to-bottom review and update of the entire campaign and think I've found a happy medium for those like you who want more "background chatter". I agree with you and think you'll like what I've done with the updated campaign.

18 hours ago, Odessa said:

did not finish Mission 2 yet, maybe I will hear Apaches....

Probably not. I've not had a lot of luck getting DCS helicopters to do even the most simple tasks but I may look at that again.

Thanks again for your insight and constructive criticism. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your opinions. I value all the players inputs. I may not implement your suggestions but I do consider each and every one of them.

My best to you and your family,

John

5 hours ago, King39 said:

@OdessaGreat. I'm glad. Thank you.

I agree it's not relevant but I was trying to reflect the hardships and difficulties which professional soldiers in the U.S. military encounter when deployed. I probably won't do this for future campaigns but it was important for me at the time because as I was creating this campaign, I learned of a friend of mine took his life due to the hardships he had to endure after returning from his fifth deployment. His death hit me very hard and I wanted to try to reflect that in the campaign.

Yes, it is good idea but better to keep it more "close to earth".
I do not think they said "Civilians do not understand that it is our life to fight wars thousands miles from home .... ", c'mon, really?
I bet it would be "Damn brass sent us to that <profanity> hole for X-mas! Again? No, I understand it is part of the job and let's say <occupational hazard> but two years in a row? WTH?"
🙂
BTW, passed Mission 2. It actually was as I would like it to be.
Two bridges  destroyed with gbu-38 from above the cloud. Couple of Mavericks to mess with advancing columns.
I would like it would be in the briefing to be honest -no ability to choose weapon:
"Your task - two bridges, use gbu-38, then if fuel permits - hit couple of vehicles in different columns to slow them down."
"Weapon - 3 gbu-38, 4 Mavericks"
If you definitely want Mission like "free hunting" in you campaign I suppose it would be better separate mission.
For example after bridges we could have "Columns scattered somewhere around bridges, weapon of your choice, find and destroy. Refule and rearm on any <blue> airfield"
But this is just a suggestions

Edited by Odessa