Orion 2 - rotary encoders - how to change speed?

MartinVoy

Hi guys and gals.

I just got my Orion 2 and F16 throttle. It can handle 8 axis only, so some rotary encoders must be set as rotary/encoders/buttons and cant be used as axis. 

The question is how to change sensitivity of these encoders. I've bond one to HMCS and another to BARO ALT, but getting HMCS from 0 to 100% or changing BARO by 100m takes ages, like hundreds of rotary turns.

Thanks!

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

think in the simapp software you can assign the speed , when clicking in the axis a new window opens to assign speed.

• Like 1

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

• 3 months later...

Did you get anywhere with this?

I have the same problem and SimAppPro's acceleration and interval settings do not help AFAICS. 

A 10 ms interval appears to be too short for DCS to register all the ticks, which means that you don't get a strong response - you're twisting the dial and not getting much movement even though input lag is minimal. Moving to 20-50 ms helps more ticks register, but introduces more input lag such that a large twist of the encoder can take seconds to resolve in DCS. Even if every tick registers, for things like HDG and CRS, one 'tick' or 'click' of the encoder should at most correspond to 1 degree for adequate control. Even if every tick registered, at the minimum 10 ms interval that's a theoretical best case of 3.6 seconds of twisting to do a full revolution of HDG or CRS angle. Real-life performance is worse as 1 tick appears to correspond to less than 1 degree and a good percentage of ticks are not registered.  I can't say I've noticed much difference when changing the acceleration between 1 and 5.

I'm starting to wonder about virtual mapping, macros and other possibilities.  The response of the encoders in DCS is surprisingly poor IMO - not sure where the blame lies though.  I've opened a support ticket with Winwing and will report back.

Edited by Monkeydonut
  • Like 1

Winwing support weren't helpful.  Apparently the hardware supports USB update intervals of 1 ms, but most games including DCS won't do better than 10 ms.  I couldn't really get much sense out of them with respect to potential workarounds re: virtual mapping or macros - I'm not 100% sure it can't be done, but nothing they said helped.  They did see that they would try to improve rotary encoder behaviour / options in the future.