AI F-14 Game freezing/not responding

rmk80
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

3 minutes ago, IronMike said:

We're aware of this issue now and will look into it. Whether this is on our side and/or really related to the F-14 specifically - I cannot really say, but if it is ofc we hope that we can fix it asap.

Thank you.

That's great to hear Mike, this is a issue that has really baffled me and others for many weeks now with seemly no cause on our end.

6 hours ago, IronMike said:

We're aware of this issue now and will look into it. Whether this is on our side and/or really related to the F-14 specifically - I cannot really say, but if it is ofc we hope that we can fix it asap.

Thank you.

I would really appreciate a fix for this. DCS just isn't the same without the F-14 🙂

Thank you for your effort!

I can confirm that while I am not playing the Liberation mission(s), I have regular freezes while trying to play the Operation Sandstorm campaign (which is a solo campaign with the F-14B).

It's nearly impossible to finish any mission as the game will freeze after some time. Not saying this is certainly the F-14 being the problem... but... it does look like it.

Also, since the F-14 freezes, I switched to the F-18 and had some new bug (but as annoying). Screen turned black, but the game was clearly still working "in the background". I could lower the gears, etc. and was hearing the sound. When used task manager to kill DCS, I even had the usual pop-up message within DCS "Are you sure you want to quit" or something. 

This F-18 thing is most likely unrelated to the issue from this thread, but I thought I'd share. It happened when I was looking at the kneeboard.

Edited by Sylosis
  • Like 1

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

On 6/13/2022 at 8:24 AM, IronMike said:

Thank you.

Another freeze here tonight 40nm out from landing on the carrier. No obvious errors on the .log file that would cause it. I find the freezes are most common shortly after take off on the carrier or shortly before landing on the carrier (seems to be 30-50nm out from the carrier or so). When it freezes its completely unresponsive, can hear game audio and it seems to loop. Only way to to get out is to let windows kill it or kill it via task manager, so no .crash files. Very frustrating to do a whole mission and preparing for a carrier landing only to crash or to plan a mission and take the time to takeoff only to crash 15 mins after takeoff. Hope Heatblur/ED can find the cause of this issue.

dcs.log

Do I figure correctly that this is mostly related to the Liberation Campaign, or else heavy laden missions (lots of units, lots is going on)?

And do any of you have mods installed, like the A4, or similar? And if, which please?

Thank you!

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

21 minutes ago, IronMike said:

Do I figure correctly that this is mostly related to the Liberation Campaign, or else heavy laden missions (lots of units, lots is going on)?

And do any of you have mods installed, like the A4, or similar? And if, which please?

Thank you!

No this is happening on any mission really. I play alot on a 80s multiplayer server called Flashpoint Levant. Like any multiplayer server, yes there are alot of units. And I do not have any mods like that installed.

2 minutes ago, HeavyGun1450 said:

No this is happening on any mission really. I play alot on a 80s multiplayer server called Flashpoint Levant. Like any multiplayer server, yes there are alot of units. And I do not have any mods like that installed.

Do you have any mods installed at all?
Do all the missions where you experience this include the F-14 AI?
Do you know if the missions where you experience it most run any scripts?

Thank you!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

24 minutes ago, IronMike said:

Thank you!

Yes there are player and AI F14s. And yes this server runs scripts to my knowledge (DCT/MOOSE based mission). Only mods are Tacview, TheWay, and DICE.

4 hours ago, IronMike said:

Thank you!

No, im not running any mods. This is happening with either F-14 player and AI units, on all maps, on different type of missions.

So far excluding the F-14 is the only 100% fix for the freezing. I do believe there is an increased chance of happening on taxing missions with a lot of units involved. If I play some simple F-14 missions I can make it until the end, including landing on the carrier without freezing. 

Liberation missions do not involve scripting during the missions, except for monitoring losses. All scripting is done in between missions. There are however a lot of units involved in a single mission.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, IronMike said:

Thank you.

Do you already have a clue what is causing this? Is there anything we could try to solve this?

Could this be caused by the sound error that is shown in the logs?

On 6/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, rmk80 said:

Do you already have a clue what is causing this? Is there anything we could try to solve this?

Could this be caused by the sound error that is shown in the logs?

Would love to know this also. Seems like a 50/50% chance of even making it back to the carriers now a days without locking up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, IronMike said:

Thank you!

Found this thread just now.
Experienced same issue flying the Hornet on multiplayer servers with Tomcat AI fighters.

More details in this thread (including videos/basic logs at beginning and extended log/memory dump in post #4)

No mods

Edited by boerdi

On 6/13/2022 at 8:24 AM, IronMike said:

Thank you.

Mike, 

Do we have any updates on this? I think many people are curious what's going on. Its really been annoying me in the F14 lately.

No change in this week's updates.

I saw again crash in my lineration mission with F-14, around 40-50 minutes after mission start.

I thought this might be relating memory so I upgraded 32GB from 16GB 1 month ago, but memory is not problem.

Hope ED or HB would solve this problem soon. 

Just had a freeze right at the mission start (reload second time) - F-14B IA PG BFM Lion and Sun.

Started with F-15C NTTR mission - AI flight could not take off after 5min so I started F-14B Caucasus IA Dogfight mission - went fine for around 10min, then tried 2 times the Lion and Sun, on the third time DCS froze right at the mission start (Fly button).

dcs.log

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

48 minutes ago, rmk80 said:

@IronMike Is there any progress on this issue? 

Unfortunately not yet. We're currently stuck at reproducing the issue, but we're continuing to investigate. ATM we're not even sure if it is indeed F-14 or somehow DCS related, we need to find a way to reproduce it first. It is also very impractical that it happens for most that far into a mission for that matter.

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

For me it's random, sometimes first 20 min, sometimes after several hours. Don't need to be in f14. Thse freeze requires using task manager to exit.

This maybe unrelated.. Yesterday I noticed I had a long freeze in the p47 on Normandy map. Froze a good five seconds before coming back and the game consumed for a while without issue. No f14s in this case, so many a separate issue.  In my case I think it was audio related because my sound cut out briefly. I was streaming at time, maybe I can find video of when it happened.

How many folks here are using voice attack or vaicom? I'm trying to eliminate them as a cause.

After the last Open Beta patch I thought the freezes had vanished. Was able to play longer on MP maps with AI Tomcats.

Sadly, the freeze struck again today 😞
Zero freezes on Hoggit's Georgia at War (no AI Tomcats and I played really often and long today)
But on Hoggit's Persian Gulf at War the game froze once again near the patrolling AI Tomcats in the south-east "carrier corner".

Here is a link with detailed log and Process Explorer mini dump of the crashed DCS process (if it helps):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oAn7raGpQU2FTkW0RcB1m84cpI2cKfgf?usp=sharing

Edited by boerdi