Operation Agile Spear - TrackIR Bug?

Is anyone else having trouble with TrackIR playing up on mission 2?

My TrackIR is working fine for the past two years, with latest drivers etc.

When I load up mission 2 of the Agile Spear campaign, my TrackIR will work fine for a minute and then jump to a wierd view with the axes all reversed.

Fresh installation, lots of troubleshooting, and no resolution.

4 hours ago, SASCAT said:

Is anyone else having trouble with TrackIR playing up on mission 2?

During testing, I had no such issues.

And I think mission designers couldn't influence TrackIR even if they wanted to. 😉

The most typical reasons for TrackIR acting up are:

• reflections within its field of view
  • light or heat sources within its field of view

When the problem next occurs, you should open the TrackIR window and, if necessary, resize it so you can see the view from the TrackIR camera. It'll probably show some red objects instead of the 3 solid green dots.

On my TrackClip (the simple reflector, not the active one with a cable) I had a problem with one of the reflectors coming loose, causing occasional problems that got worse over time.

But I've also had a zipper from a jacket cause reflections on some occasions, and when I use my favorite metal coffee mug to take a sip, TrackIR goes completely bonkers 😄

So, to reiterate: Check the TrackIR camera view to see through its eyes, that's most likely to show where the problem lies.

Try to remove all light and heat sources anywhere in TrackIR's field of view, maybe close the curtains or check if the problem persists after sunset.

I'd be extremely surprised if this was actually caused by any particular mission.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a similar issue a few times recently. With little or no head movement, TrackIR seems to think I'm at a speed metal concert. It did it outside of DCS as well. The head model on the TrackIR UI looked like he was getting a nasty case of whiplash. I restarted TrackIR, and the problem went away. It did happen a second time a day or two later.

5 hours ago, Wile E. said:

I've had a similar issue a few times recently.

Since you already mentioned that this shows outside of DCS, I take it the problem is not related to the Agile Spear campaign for you?

In that case, a good place to look for similar reports and to find answers would be the PC hardware and related software part of the forum.

And coming back to the problem at hand, did you see any problems in the TrackIR camera view, like red indications of heat sources? The usual problem with TrackIR is either heat sources or reflections in the camera's field of view, so check for sunlight, mirrors, reflective metal surfaces, lamps, candles, and so on. If applicable, try to close the curtains or check if the problem persists after sunset.

I wasn't implying my issue was related to the campaign. I was pointing out that the OP's issue, which sounds like my issue, is more likely to be TrackIR getting phantom reads than a bug in the campaign, or even DCS.