AH64D -- X56 Flight Stick (Steam version and open Beta) controller issue.

I bought the Open Beta and the Steam Version. I upgraded to the Logitech X56. I setup the controller to the tee on the official YouTube channel for DCS. 

But when I use the collective the helicopter just fly's to the right and then pins to the ground. I don't know what to do. I spent like $500 bucks on this sim, new controller and bought the two versions. Open Beta and Steam. I can't get any altitude on the helicopter it just spins to the right and the just smashes into the ground. It is weird, as soon as  the sim starts the Helicopter feels really unstable. This happened on the X52 and X56.  

And on another note, I had the X52 and that worked perfectly with the F-18C, with the X56, the throttle rolls the aircraft. I can't figure out why its doing that. The F16C works fine. 

Please help. 

I've used X52 for years and am still using X55. No problem at all.

Your problem is probably doubled axis issue. Check your all axis controllers.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

The X56 has the dual throttles, but why would this happen on the X52 regarding the AH64D? Is the AH64D even a stable product, its nothing like other Eagle Dynamics products, the graphics are really bad and it just simply does not work. That's why I upgraded my flight sticks. The K-50 Shark works fine. All ED products rock, the F18C is amazing, and the F16C. 

I mean can anyone actually fly the AH64D? It seems half baked. I can't get the thing off the ground. Is there a profile I can use? 

But from the X52 I would use the slew profile, then manually make my config in DCS. 

This is a real bummer as the X52 worked, with everything except for the AH64D. Then I got the X56 and its really cool. My X52 is super old and don't work so good. Now nothing works. 

Except for the F16C. 

I spent a boat load of money on this stuff, so it would be nice to get a solution. 

I wish ED, would have a install package when you buy a cockpit. I know this is complicated stuff. But, if it could recognize your HOTAS and configure it via military grade configuration that would be AWESOME. It takes so much time to figure this stuff out.

I just want to fly and blow stuff up. 

Edited by AH64D

The solution, I believe, is on your side.

1) The Apache is W.I.P (early access stage) and, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with it for an early access module.
2) X56 is a nice HOTAS. It works good I'm sure.
3) The Apache's graphics are great. Also nothing wrong there.

The problem starts on your side, as I said.

Please check your selected options, axis controllers in Controllers tab. Don't use ED's default profiles for X56. There may be some doubled axis commands and that causes some ghost or wrong inputs for the aircraft. So, create your own profile: Clear all axis commands in Axis page and set your inputs and adjust them.

Check YouTube videos. Everyone fly it very nice and interior and exterior graphics are great.

See you.

Edited by Devrim

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Agree with @Devrim

Seems like axis conflicts, unless you forget to apply left torque pedal when raising the collective. In the Ka-50 you don't have too. 

I find the Apache extremely easy to fly, even if a little twitchy when taking off and landing because it tanks my framerates and I overcorrect. 

Barrel rolls, loops, backwards sideways, hovering. All easy if you're gentle. 

I do use Warthog for power levers, K-51 collective, MS FFB2 cyclic and TM Flight torque pedals. Might be even easier when I get my Slaw RH  Rotor pedals. 😊 

• Like 1

Ok, so what about the F-18C. It worked perfectly with X-52. The X-56 has duel throttle, so just check the axis commands? 

When I thrust forward or backward just no response. This is a high fidelity cockpit, and the X-52 is old and junk. 

I am just really surprised, I buy a $300 dollar flight stick and the F-18C is giving me problems. I know how to configure it. 

The F-16C works perfectly, probably because it has only one engine. So that is a clue. 

I have the Thrustmeter warthog as well, which is also duel throttle, I wonder if it would cause the same problems. 

Plus the Axis commands for throttle are weirdly reversed on the X-56. 

I dunno, $80 bucks for the cockpit and $300 for the flight stick, and the aircraft doesn't work right with just basic flight out of the box. 

Maybe the X-56 sucks. And for the Ah-64D, I can't it to work, oh well. 

Thinking about hiring someone to come to my house and configure this for me. 

On 5/1/2022 at 10:33 AM, AH64D said:

X52 and that worked perfectly with the F-18C, with the X56, the throttle rolls the aircraft. I can't figure out why its doing that. The F16C works fine. 

Please help. 

I know bindong left throttle (X axis) to left engine in F/A-18C and Right throttle (Y axis) to right engine is more realistic, but if u did this try just bind "throttle both" to one of axis - X or Y and reply if it works.

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

Hi.

X52Pro guy here and no problem whatsoever with the AH64, other than it is  very sensitive. Once used to the mininal input needed, the stick should serve you ok.

As @MAXsennasaid, if you could send a picture of your hotas bindings/setings it would be easier to help.

If possible:

1 Make a copy of all the devices you have in DCS.

2 Delette the assignements and

3  start a completely new assignement, only for the HOTAS and do some trials. Don't forget to step on the anti torque/rudder pedal to compensate for the torque, and do very gentle corrections.

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sacarino111 said:

Don't forget to step on the anti torque/rudder pedal to compensate for the torque, and do very gentle corrections.

Something tells me that this is the actual problem here. Sounds like it is OP's first helo and he actually has no clue how to fly helo's. He say's:

On 5/1/2022 at 10:33 AM, AH64D said:

I can't get any altitude on the helicopter it just spins to the right and the just smashes into the ground.

I understand that like there is no pedal work at all.

En 1/5/2022 a las 19:16, AH64D dijo:

The X56 has the dual throttles, but why would this happen on the X52 regarding the AH64D? Is the AH64D even a stable product, its nothing like other Eagle Dynamics products, the graphics are really bad and it just simply does not work. That's why I upgraded my flight sticks. The K-50 Shark works fine. All ED products rock, the F18C is amazing, and the F16C. 

I mean can anyone actually fly the AH64D? It seems half baked. I can't get the thing off the ground. Is there a profile I can use? 

But from the X52 I would use the slew profile, then manually make my config in DCS. 

This is a real bummer as the X52 worked, with everything except for the AH64D. Then I got the X56 and its really cool. My X52 is super old and don't work so good. Now nothing works. 

Except for the F16C. 

I spent a boat load of money on this stuff, so it would be nice to get a solution. 

I wish ED, would have a install package when you buy a cockpit. I know this is complicated stuff. But, if it could recognize your HOTAS and configure it via military grade configuration that would be AWESOME. It takes so much time to figure this stuff out.

I just want to fly and blow stuff up. 

just go to your axes bindings and check that every axe is tunned only for one action , sometimes there are two axes binded to the same action, mostly in the x56 that has a lot of axes, make sure to bring the control window on (think is RCTRL+ENTER) , go to active pause an move all you controls to see what moves every one, a few times I've changed my joys and plugged them onto another usb port and the game binds me the wrong axis.

The x-56 is a beatiful joy and a cool one, I've been using it till my upgrade to winwing devices.

Hope it helps

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

On 5/1/2022 at 5:33 AM, AH64D said:

I bought the Open Beta and the Steam Version. I upgraded to the Logitech X56. I setup the controller to the tee on the official YouTube channel for DCS. 

But when I use the collective the helicopter just fly's to the right and then pins to the ground. I don't know what to do. I spent like $500 bucks on this sim, new controller and bought the two versions. Open Beta and Steam. I can't get any altitude on the helicopter it just spins to the right and the just smashes into the ground. It is weird, as soon as  the sim starts the Helicopter feels really unstable. This happened on the X52 and X56.  

And on another note, I had the X52 and that worked perfectly with the F-18C, with the X56, the throttle rolls the aircraft. I can't figure out why its doing that. The F16C works fine. 

Please help. 

did you buy the apache twice just to try to solve your controller problems?

Edited by jacobs
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One thing to check is that it automatically sets my x56 throttle in the axis to roll and pitch as well as collective. So look at roll and pitch in axis and see if the throttle and the stick is assigned to roll and pitch then clear those out for the throttle . That fixed my problem that is exactly what you described.

One of my pet peeves with DCS controls is it will automatically assign pitch, roll and yaw to pretty much any controller with an analog axis or more.

So the OP may need to remove the spurious binds as suggested.

A collective needs to be set as a slider so it has has 0% at one end of travel and 100% at the other rather than having a centre like a joystick axis. This will probably need to be set.

Don't despair @AH64Dthere are many people here with vast knowledge of the controls system who will help.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

3 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

One of my pet peeves with DCS controls is it will automatically assign pitch, roll and yaw to pretty much any controller with an analog axis or more.

So the OP may need to remove the spurious binds as suggested.

A collective needs to be set as a slider so it has has 0% at one end of travel and 100% at the other rather than having a centre like a joystick axis. This will probably need to be set.

Don't despair @AH64Dthere are many people here with vast knowledge of the controls system who will help.

The X-56 does not have a slider. I use the throttle for collective. But the AH64D just spins out of control. I was told I need to yaw. But I don't have rudder pedals. Just using the stick for that. Should I use a hat switch for yaw? How do you do it? 

32 minutes ago, Zap921 said:

What are you using for pedals to control the yaw?

I dont have rudder pedals. Should I buy some? I just use the stick, would a hat switch be better than turning the stick on the X-56? Can't get the AH64D off the ground, it it just spins tot the right and crashes. What is your setup, how do you do it? 

2 minutes ago, AH64D said:

The X-56 does not have a slider. I use the throttle for collective. But the AH64D just spins out of control. I was told I need to yaw. But I don't have rudder pedals. Just using the stick for that. Should I use a hat switch for yaw? How do you do it? 

I use pedals for yaw. Does the X56 not have a twist function for yaw?

A throttle needs to be set as a slider in the DCS controls axis tuning screen to be used as a collective.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

To set up a slider, in AH64D Pilot controls click on Axis Assign, then click on your throttle axis and then click on Axis Tune.

Then tick slider. You may need to invert the axis if the collective goes the opposite way to what you want.

dcs_001 0.jpg

dcs_002 0.jpg

Yeah flying the AH64D is way more complicated than I expected. My dream was to be an attack AH64D attack helicopter pilot. Probably good that didn't happen, I suck. 

Seems to be more difficult than a Jet Fighter pilot, that was my other dream. Well either one. But from my research it seems AH64D pilots are constantly adjusting the controls. 

Jeez just flying the thing is so difficult. how do they manage combat. Well I hope I can do it, its a real challenge. 

1 hour ago, admiki said:

I just like how people come here and whine how their equipment and/or module sucks and it turns out problem is in ear holder device. 🙄

Just trying to get help man, this is way more difficult than I thought. I just want to fly the Apache. 

Just now, AH64D said:

Yeah flying the AH64D is way more complicated than I expected. My dream was to be an attack AH64D attack helicopter pilot. Probably good that didn't happen, I suck. 

Seems to be more difficult than a Jet Fighter pilot, that was my other dream. Well either one. But from my research it seems AH64D pilots are constantly adjusting the controls. 

Jeez just flying the thing is so difficult. how do they manage combat. Well I hope I can do it, its a real challenge.

I am far from a good helicopter pilot but I can pretty much put the AH64D where I want it. When I first tried to hover the Huey I was all over the place, I kept flying backwards. Now it seems quite easy. With practice it will come, be patient. If you are hooked though I would recommend getting some rudder pedals.

2 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

I am far from a good helicopter pilot but I can pretty much put the AH64D where I want it. When I first tried to hover the Huey I was all over the place, I kept flying backwards. Now it seems quite easy. With practice it will come, be patient. If you are hooked though I would recommend getting some rudder pedals.

Yeah I think rudder pedals are probably required. Because when I start flying to the right, I twist the stick and it don't seem to be working. But I have a lot more information thanks to you. 

Need to configure the throttle as a slider. Hopefully that helps. If not, all get me some thrustmaster rudder pedals. Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it.