Best way to quickly descend from high altitude

Hi,

Ive picked up this module in the last few weeks, and im having an issue whereby when I try to descend from reasonably high altitude after going over a mountain, my rotors smash together.

Whats the best way to descend from high altitude without breaking the aircraft or entering VRS?

In the hind I can pitch down to some degree to follow the contour of the mountains but in the KA50 im finding I cant really do that.

Thanks.

Ive always used a combination of dropping the collective and pushing the cyclic for fast terrain following drops.  The Shark will drop like a stone if you wish it to. (within reason). VRS is more easily avoided if you think of the tunbine/rotor relationship as eleastic and apply power earlier than you think you need it. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

44 minutes ago, Chad Vader said:

HI all, ive tried reducing the collective and diving but i seem to always overspeed and then the rotors smash together.

I dont think there is a secret method. Its more a case of respecting the physics and limitaions of helos in general and co-axial rotors specifically. 

If its any consolation...

https://www.flightglobal.com/rotor-blade-collision-is-blamed-for-ka-50-crash/22585.article

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

On 5/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, Chad Vader said:

Hi,

Ive picked up this module in the last few weeks, and im having an issue whereby when I try to descend from reasonably high altitude after going over a mountain, my rotors smash together.

Whats the best way to descend from high altitude without breaking the aircraft or entering VRS?

In the hind I can pitch down to some degree to follow the contour of the mountains but in the KA50 im finding I cant really do that.

Thanks.

If it helps, there are three conditions for VRS to happen:
1. powered flight
2. vertical speed (for Mi-8 it's around -4m/s and greater)
3. forward velocity less than effective translational lift (for Mi-8 less than 60km/h, I think)

Break any of these and VRS won't happen.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

On 5/1/2022 at 10:59 PM, Boosterdog said:

That article...is not quite accurate. Wasn't 'standard terrain flight' at all - night flight acrobatics, 2nd flight he'd had in the Ka-50 after an 8 month gap, after doing a sortie the Mi-24. Apparently the maneuvers done weren't signed off by the Kamov team after modeling out the safety of those maneuvers.

But yeah, both cases of extreme maneuvers even for a helo allowed to do loops etc. just can't do like that. So like you say physics.

As for the descent - you need to corkscrew usually. As in enough pitch not to increase speed beyond the limits, with whatever descent rate you can (within main rotor rpm limits as Chump mentioned), then keep going lower in gradual circles.

Biggest factor with rotor intersections is probably the collective. If you're going to be doing something super-stressful/acrobatic or touching the speed limits, lower collective, then do whatever you need to do gently.

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

Pay attention to the blade pitch angle, that's all you need to do.  It's above and left of your left knee.  Start your dive.  When you get to about 250 turn blade pitch down to ~3 degrees.  Pay no attention to the flashing red lights.  When you're getting to the bottom of your dive pull out of it and gradually increase blade pitch.  Stay below about 5 degrees or so until you're back below "safe" speeds.  The closer back towards ~275 you get you can turn the blade pitch back up...  but be careful.

You don't need to corkscrew unless you have a spot at the bottom of the decent that you don't want to overshoot.

The control inputs that cause blade collision are roll right, rudder right and collective (AKA blade pitch).

Also...  Turn off the Alt hold AP channel.  It will try to kill you.  You're welcome.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I wouldn‘t use the AP channels at all if you don‘t want to take your hands off the stick or go very slow, low and search for targets. The Ka50 is extremely easy to fly manually thanks to the counter rotating rotors and VRS, as mentioned above, is no danger at all in forward flight faster than ETL. Vortex Ring State means that you descend into your own downwash but that can‘t happen if you‘re flying forward.

Nose down always results in a higher speed, regardless of the aircraft. You need to stay below Vne, again regardless of the aircraft. There is a limit you can dive at, more is not possible, that‘s normal. If you reach the limit and it‘s not enough you reach the limitations of your aircraft and need to adjust the route. It‘s really as simple as that.

• Like 1

Just apply more mechanical sympathy.  Don’t overspeed and avoid VRS at low speeds.

When I first got the Mi8, I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t do combat landings as I could in the Huey.  The reality is that the real Mi8 can’t do it.  It’s just a case of learning a new set of limits for the aircraft

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Pay attention to the blade pitch angle, that's all you need to do.  It's above and left of your left knee.  Start your dive.  When you get to about 250 turn blade pitch down to ~3 degrees.  Pay no attention to the flashing red lights.  When you're getting to the bottom of your dive pull out of it and gradually increase blade pitch.  Stay below about 5 degrees or so until you're back below "safe" speeds.  The closer back towards ~275 you get you can turn the blade pitch back up...  but be careful.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I have been flying he KA-50 for a few years now and I have never gotten into VRS. Out of all of the helicopters, the KA-50 I think is the most forgiving when it comes to VRS. The Hind on the other hand is another story.

I’m surprised no one said autorotation or letting there be up flow through the rotor system. Going low on the collective is fine, but you can full on put it at minimum, if you go too fast just nose up, control speed with cyclic like autorotation. 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I power dive, I flatten the collective and pitch the nose down.  When I reach near where I want to be, I slowly pitch the nose up and slowly pull up on the collective, cutting my blades into the wind.  If you bring the collective up too fast, you'll tear your blades off.

With the blades flattened, the rotors act like a wing, letting you glide down.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:55 AM, 3WA said:

When I power dive, I flatten the collective and pitch the nose down.  When I reach near where I want to be, I slowly pitch the nose up and slowly pull up on the collective, cutting my blades into the wind.  If you bring the collective up too fast, you'll tear your blades off.

With the blades flattened, the rotors act like a wing, letting you glide down.

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar!" 😉

• Like 2

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"