LUA Files for MFD Screens? Download?

Jimd0586

Hi all. I ordered a set of the Cougar MFDs and a couple Lilliput 8" screens. I got both up and running on the computer but can't figure out how to configure the LUA file (and believe me, I have tried).

I have a main screen that is 1080x1920. The two screens for the MFDs are the 8" lilliput. I did read they can be set as 525x525.

Anyone have any experience setting up the LUA files or have one I can download? Thanks!

So here is an update:

I have attached the lua file I am using. I then attached a screenshot with one of the two USB monitors plugged in. The other is still in the mail. I load DCS and the main screen shows the cockpit just fine, but the USB monitor only shows my desktop. Is there something I am doing incorrectly? Thanks!

Multiple Monitors.jpg

HSBMFD1.lua

IIRC, you have to set up the monitors as though they are one big screen, then send the viewports to the appropriate location.

e.g. If you configure the second monitor on the bottom of the main one (assume 1920 x 1080), the top left of that second monitor is 1080 pixels down from the top left of the total.

I can't remember which way it counts.

There IS a post here that explains it, but I can't find it on my phone right now.

So, I tried with the lilliput display to the right of the main 1920 x 1080 display and below the main display but aligned on the left side. Neither worked. I am wondering if I am missing something? I have included screenshots and the lua file from the second attempt, below the center screen and left aligned. 

Any suggests? I say "viewport" mentioned on the other post. Am I supposed to have a file that designates what the small screen displays? In this case I want it to display the left DDI.

Desktop.jpg

DCS settings.jpg

HSBMFD1.lua

2 hours ago, No1sonuk said:

Found it:

So, I tried with the lilliput display to the right of the main 1920 x 1080 display and below the main display but aligned on the left side. Neither worked. I am wondering if I am missing something? I have included screenshots and the lua file from the second attempt, below the center screen and left aligned. 

Any suggests? I say "viewport" mentioned on the other post. Am I supposed to have a file that designates what the small screen displays? In this case I want it to display the left DDI.

Desktop.jpg

DCS settings.jpg

HSBMFD1.lua

Edited by Jimd0586
:)

Looks like your resolution in DCS doesn't include the extra monitors.
You have 1920 x 1080.  I think for the left MFCD where you have it, you should be using 1920 x 1880.  See point #4 on the second post of that thread.
Don't forget the aspect ratio part in the lua.
In the lua, the right MFCD is way off.
And you might want to define them as square if the MFCD is square.  You're defining HOW it is displayed, not the display it is on.

Edited by No1sonuk

12 minutes ago, No1sonuk said:

Looks like your resolution in DCS doesn't include the extra monitors.
You have 1920 x 1080.  I think for the left MFCD where you have it, you should be using 1920 x 1880.  See point #4 on the second post of that thread.
Don't forget the aspect ratio part in the lua.
In the lua, the right MFCD is way off.
And you might want to define them as square if the MFCD is square.  You're defining HOW it is displayed, not the display it is on.

Roger. Thanks! Ok. So, before I read your message here, I kept screwing around and got the DDI to display the top left portion (ignore that the screen is on the right side of my main monitor)... See DDI Partial. I continued trying different settings in DCS, Windows, and lua. Nothing... UNTIL I changed the monitor placement to the attached "Camera+LMFCD". NOW IT WORKS!!!!

The problem is that I will soon be getting a second idential 8" lilliput monitor for the Right DDI. I do not have a monitor setting LUA file for Left and Right auto placement. Just Left and Right as attached. I'm afraid when I do finally get the second 8" monitor I will find myself in a similar situation again with the main monitor working, one of the two DDIs working, but the other not working.

DDIpartial.jpg

Camera+LMFCD_auto_placement.lua LMFCD+Camera+RMFCD.lua

The auto placement code looks like it assumes all monitors are the same size.
I assume this is how some people create 3-monitor wide viewports, and is why you only see part of the MFCD - you're displaying a 1920x1080 MFCD on a smaller screen.
You need to give the MFCD outputs a specific size to scale them down.

22 minutes ago, No1sonuk said:

The auto placement code looks like it assumes all monitors are the same size.
I assume this is how some people create 3-monitor wide viewports, and is why you only see part of the MFCD - you're displaying a 1920x1080 MFCD on a smaller screen.
You need to give the MFCD outputs a specific size to scale them down.

Ok. Thanks. I'll try

Try the guide mentioned above again, it's comprehensive, I wrote it 🙂

Follow each and every step. There's not really a shortcut for this as everyone's setup is different. I know its long, but it will get you there!

If you still get stuck, leave a message in that guide and I'll try sort you out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so here is my setup with auto dimensions. No need to define in config resolutions. As mentioned above, you have to choose max resolution in DCS settings. This config checks how many additional MFDs you have. If you have no additional monitor connected, no changes needed. If you have one, it will auto expand picture there. You may connect max to 3 additional monitors. Your main monitor must be most left monitor. All additional must be located on right side, aligned to bottom.

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name 		= _('32andAuto9');
Description = 'Main monitor on left side, mfds on right. Align to bottom'

if  displays and #displays >= 1 then
	main_display = 
	{	
		x 		= 0,
		y 		= 0,
		width   = displays[1].width,
		height  = displays[1].height,
		aspect  = displays[1].width/displays[1].height;
		viewDx  = 0;
	    viewDy  = 0;
	}
end

if  displays and #displays > 1 then
	square_mfd_1 = 
	{
		x 		= displays[1].width,
		y 		= displays[1].height - displays[2].height,
		width   = displays[2].width,
		height  = displays[2].width,
	}
	rect_mfd_1 = 
	{
		x 		= displays[1].width,
		y 		= displays[1].height - displays[2].height,
		width   = displays[2].width,
		height  = displays[2].height,
	}
	bottom_square_mfd_1 = 
	{
		x 		= displays[1].width,
		y 		= displays[1].height - displays[2].height + displays[2].width,
		width   = displays[2].height - displays[2].width,
		height  = displays[2].height - displays[2].width,
	}

LEFT_MFCD = square_mfd_1
	JF17_LEFT_MFCD = rect_mfd_1
	F14_HSD = square_mfd_1
	F14_RWR = bottom_square_mfd_1
	AJS37_RADAR = square_mfd_1
	Shkval = square_mfd_1
end

if  displays and #displays > 2 then
	square_mfd_2 = 
	{
		x 		= displays[1].width + displays[2].width,
		y 		= displays[1].height - displays[3].height,
		width   = displays[3].width,
		height  = displays[3].width,
	}
	rect_mfd_2 = 
	{
		x 		= displays[1].width + displays[2].width,
		y 		= displays[1].height - displays[3].height,
		width   = displays[3].width,
		height  = displays[3].height,
	}

RIGHT_MFCD = square_mfd_2
	JF17_RIGHT_MFCD = rect_mfd_2
	F14_VDI = square_mfd_2
	AJS37_TV = square_mfd_2
	ABRIS = rect_mfd_2
end

if  displays and #displays > 3 then 
	square_mfd_3 = 
	{
		x 		= displays[1].width + displays[2].width + displays[3].width,
		y 		= displays[1].height - displays[4].height,
		width   = displays[4].width,
		height  = displays[4].width,
	}
	rect_mfd_3 = 
	{
		x 		= displays[1].width + displays[2].width + displays[3].width,
		y 		= displays[1].height - displays[4].height,
		width   = displays[4].width,
		height  = displays[4].height,
	}

CENTER_MFCD = square_mfd_2
	JF17_CENTER_MFCD = rect_mfd_2

RIGHT_MFCD = square_mfd_3
	JF17_RIGHT_MFCD = rect_mfd_3
end

UIMainView = main_display
GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = main_display
Viewports  = {UIMainView}

image.png

Edited by zippoa

So I finally got my second monitor in but my troubles are anew. Does anyone have a Lua file with a three monitor setup I could use? My main is 1080x1920 with two 8" lilliputs. I have attached screenshots to show what is going on.

DCS Settings.jpg

Desktop View.jpg

Monitor Settings.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 9:05 PM, Scott-S6 said:

Tell us the resolutions of all three monitors and show us your current display lua file.

So my main monitor is a 1920x1080 display. The two other screens are lilliput 8" 800x600 screens. The only success I have had is to use the lua file : Camera+ LMFCD_auto_placement but that only displays one MFCD. The LMFCD+Camera+RMFCD creates the issue you see in the screenshots where only the center monitor (main monitor) is used and it is split three ways to show the main view and both MFCDs.

thumbnail_IMG_6811.jpgMonitor Settings.jpgLMFCD+Camera+RMFCD.luaCamera+LMFCD_auto_placement.lua1980 Settings in Game.jpg

That is where I am at.

Edited by Jimd0586

You can modify lefy+camera+right lua. The zero of X and Y is the top left. Therefore your center viewport is

x=0, y=0, width=1920, height=1080

From your screen shot your MFD screens are disabled. Clearly they aren't 800x600 and arranged like that (and you want them set to the lowest resolution they support that has the same ratio). You'll need to show how they're actually arranged for more help.

However, as an example. if the left mfd screen is 800x600, positioned to the right of the main screen at the top then it would be

x=1920, y=0, width=800, height=600

If you get why then you'll be able to work it out from there. Obviously, the left mfd isn't going to be the whole screen, just a square positioned to match your bezels but we'd need to know the resolutions, how the screens are positioned in display settings and where on the display your bezels are mounted to even guess at the coordinates.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1