Simply had to share

So, like many, since the new flak, damage and map options, I have decided to work back through the various Spitfire campaigns ending with this one.

Today I went up for the second mission, a large fighter sweep against Richoffen's lot. We hit the merge, aircraft everywhere with me quickly sliding to the rear of a 190. I gave chase but after several seconds I broke off, more concerned with staying alive and turning into a second aircraft I wasn't aware was lining up to shoot.

After a brief 2 circle with him he went vertical and I got a no deflection shot at almost point-blank range. The first hit must have hit the fuel tank or something as I was blinded flying through a fireball. Rolling to the left I could see flames already pouring from underneath the stricken 190 and I pulled back into a tight circle looking for the next target.

After several unsuccessful encounters I got onto the tail of 3 aircraft. The lead a 190, the other 2 spits. One managed to clip him and he started spitting oil. The FW slowed and pulled left making the spits overshoot and putting me in a perfect position.  Half a second late, he two was flaming and as I broke off i spotted another 190 diving towards me.

I turned into him, spoiling his shot and as we passed he dived away. A snap roll and I was diving after him. Catching up as he started to pull out of the dive I got a good second burst the nose to stern, right through centre mass. He again started to dive and piled straight in.

By this time I was low, fast and unable to see anyone else. Deciding I had already used up much of my luck I pointed my nose for home and hedge hopped to the coast before climbing back up to about 10,000 and getting the engine into a more economic state.

The channel never felt so big and I was registering just under 10 gallons when the Isle of White came into view. Landing back on fumes I had that feeling of wow! This is what I have read about! This is as close as I can get to what they went through! The kills I could imagine seeing in the old camera footage.

This is why I love DCS. This is why I love the campaigns Reflected makes and I just wanted to share. I know it's just a game, I know it's not real but, right now, it feels a memorable sortie and in my other reality, the pixilated one, I'm already in the mess and buying the first round of the night. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for sharing this, such reports make me really happy 🙂 mind if I share it on Instagram and Facebook?

you’ll really enjoy Beware! Beware!, most of the missions are large scale rodeos and circuses over northern France 😉

During testing, I often got back to Biggin Hill with less than 5 gallons...

Edited by Reflected
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Reflected said:

Thanks so much for sharing this, such reports make me really happy 🙂 mind if I share it on Instagram and Facebook?

you’ll really enjoy Beware! Beware!, most of the missions are large scale rodeos and circuses over northern France 😉

During testing, I often got back to Biggin Hill with less than 5 gallons...

Hey Greg, yes be my guest and thanks for all the hard work you do! Your campaigns are always pushing the  boundaries. Upped yo this point zone 5 has always been my favourite but with the new ai and flak etc.... now I'm not so sure? I already have beware! beware! Your new mossie and your new F14 campaigns already on my wish list!

• Thanks 1