Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

K, I need some of you guys (with functioning Aero of course) to help me test something if you don't mind.  My theory is that increasing eye separation will increase 3D depth perception, so doing that with Cross eye tool should have similar effect.

What to do:

1. Delete hedy.lua in \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\ folder

2. Run DCS with Cross eye tool and dial in the numbers that I circled in the pic.  Note that the top numbers are for OpenVR with default distortion profile only, if you use the new experimental distortion profile use around 1.480 for both L_OUT and R_OUT.

3. Fly around and see if you have improved 3D effect or perception.

Untitled.png

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

Do me a favor, try clicking on OpenVR switch in Varjo Base once (I know it’s probably off but click on it again just once).  Then Reset Varjo via Base  Then try to run DCS via SteamVR again.

Toggled OpenVR ON and restarted the headset/system (via the "Support" tab) and ran DCS with --force_steam_VR, which opened with a single cursor (!) and was super laggy. Toggled OpenVR OFF and restarted the headset (still with --force_steam_VR) and I get the same connection warning and DCS launches in flat screen mode only.

Edited by wrycu
clarify wording to be less ambiguous

11 minutes ago, wrycu said:

Toggled OpenVR ON and restarted the headset/system (via the "Support" tab) and ran DCS with --force_steam_VR, which opened with a single cursor (!) and was super laggy. Toggled OpenVR OFF and restarted the headset (still with --force_steam_VR) and I get the same connection warning and DCS launches in flat screen mode only.

It seems there's a problem with SteamVR and DCS with your setup.  Can you run other SteamVR games from Steam Store at all? or this issue is specific to DCS?

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

30 minutes ago, Supmua said:

It seems there's a problem with SteamVR and DCS with your setup.  Can you run other SteamVR games from Steam Store at all? or this issue is specific to DCS?

The same problem happens with other games, but only while OpenVR is disabled. With OpenVR enabled, SteamVR launches and works properly.

image.pngimage.png

no SteamVR complaints:

image.png

SteamVR errors:

image.png

50 minutes ago, Supmua said:

It just occurred to me that I skipped this step in the guide:

How to: Varjo's OpenXR Mode

since I'm using SteamVR. Was I supposed to complete it in order for OpenVR to be off and OpenXR to be on?

26 minutes ago, wrycu said:

The same problem happens with other games, but only while OpenVR is disabled. With OpenVR enabled, SteamVR launches and works properly.

image.pngimage.png

no SteamVR complaints:

image.png

SteamVR errors:

image.png

Are you using the latest Varjo Base software 3.5.1.7?

Also try SteamVR beta, I'm using version 1.22.10 right now.

9 minutes ago, wrycu said:

It just occurred to me that I skipped this step in the guide:

How to: Varjo's OpenXR Mode

since I'm using SteamVR. Was I supposed to complete it in order for OpenVR to be off and OpenXR to be on?

You don't need OpenXR to run DCS, although it's also an option.  I left mine on because I use it for MSFS.

Edited by Supmua

36 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Are you using the latest Varjo Base software 3.5.1.7?

Also try SteamVR beta, I'm using version 1.22.10 right now.

You don't need OpenXR to run DCS, although it's also an option.  I left mine on because I use it for MSFS.

Thanks for the help - I FINALLY got it working. I'm not sure why, but I needed to do the OpenXR step in order to use --force_steam_VR and have OpenVR off in Varjo Base. I now have a stable framerate and a single cursor! 

I briefly tried the eye settings you asked for (now that I have a functioning Aero) and it made it my head hurt - I had to revert it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wrycu said:

Thanks for the help - I FINALLY got it working. I'm not sure why, but I needed to do the OpenXR step in order to use --force_steam_VR and have OpenVR off in Varjo Base. I now have a stable framerate and a single cursor! 

I briefly tried the eye settings you asked for (now that I have a functioning Aero) and it made it my head hurt - I had to revert it.

Those numbers are for Steam's OpenVR with the default distortion profile only, if you use OpenXR then it likely won't be the same.  I was getting a bit nauseous using those numbers also but for the sake of science, lol...and better 3D effect.  Anyway, stick with what is working for you which seems to be OpenXR in this case.

Edited by Supmua

I think currently there is an issue with the Steam VR Beta and how Varjo reports the Open VR status with it. In other words it is currently broken. Best to roll back to stable Steam VR if working with the Open VR tab in Varjo Base. At least until either Varjo or Steam VR pushes a fix for this. It has been reported to Varjo over on their Discord channel.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

7 hours ago, wrycu said:

I too  finally have success  !  My SteamVR errors/weirdness were fixed by reinstalling all VR related apps including Varjo Base, Steam itself and Steam VR.

Then got identical experience as "wrycu" above by doing the OpenXR step.  Looks smoother and also have a single cursor!

Have left my ticket open with DCS support for both way sharing. 

• Like 2

Well after a few short few flights , I am now experiencing the crosseye/distortion effect for the very first time...

Have tried swapping the vertical displays on both sides and saving but doesn't seem to help. When I press Numpad 5 to recentre the start screen in DCS it becomes very close , right in your face .

Couple of steps forward today but this is a big step backwards...

Wonder what others have adjusted in the cross eye alignment tool to get success ?

1 hour ago, ciae985 said:

Well after a few short few flights , I am now experiencing the crosseye/distortion effect for the very first time...

Have tried swapping the vertical displays on both sides and saving but doesn't seem to help. When I press Numpad 5 to recentre the start screen in DCS it becomes very close , right in your face .

Couple of steps forward today but this is a big step backwards...

Wonder what others have adjusted in the cross eye alignment tool to get success ?

What happens if you use the default VR recenter instead of numpad 5? I have my default VR recenter assigned to a button on my HOTAS. I never messed with numpad 5, reaching out to the keyboard for anything in VR is not something I like to do.

I only ever had to flip the top bottom of each lens for the Aero to look proper in DCS.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

What happens if you use the default VR recenter instead of numpad 5? I have my default VR recenter assigned to a button on my HOTAS. I never messed with numpad 5, reaching out to the keyboard for anything in VR is not something I like to do.

I only ever had to flip the top bottom of each lens for the Aero to look proper in DCS.

To add on to this, I also had the "move really far forward" thing come about when my VR and TrackIR recenter buttons were the same thing and TrackIR was running at the same time (even though it obviously wasn't in use). 

Setting your own default center view (NUM5) might help.  I always do this since I like to be a bit further way from the HUD.

Procedure:

1. NUM5 to activate default center view.

2. Adjust as desired (hold down RSHFT+RCRTL then press NUM2/4/6/8 for down/left/right/up, also / or * for zoom in or out).

3. RALT+NUM0 to save the new center view.

4. Press VR recenter keybind to recenter.

Edited by Supmua

Ok will play with the Default centre view although I sense there are two things going on - central start display and crossed eye display (both started together).

Central Display : on entering VR the DCS startup screen is on a crazy angle ( sometimes backwards) and on first press of numpad 5 it does centre but it’s too zoomed out. On second press , it remains centred but zooms too far in. It zooms in so close it’s hard to tell if any cross eye is occurring.

Crossed eye : when loading a flight , the cross eyes becomes apparent and remains when entering the aircraft and “zoom” appears normal. And if required recentre display works fine.

I can see the cross eye tool saves the settings in “Oculus Rift CV1.LUA” as displayed in the calibration screen. I also noticed a “hedy.LUA” was also modified but not same time. Are you guys seeing this second file? Deletion of the first file allows for a recalibration of cross eye and I’ve tried this several times with and without the second file to no avail.

So this one was hella weird for me.  I tried all of these at the same time.  I can't say if the cross eyed worked on Open XR because the viewing angle was so borked in OpenXR that there was no possibility of flying.  In OpenXR both the main screen and the select role/brief/etc screens were all down at my feet.  I was hoping that jumping into the pit would fix this but nope I was floating well above and slightly ahead of the F-16 cockpit.  I exited out and undid the two DLL files and the ini file and used the regular shortcut to nullify the OpenXR mod.

Back into Varjo OpenVR the views returned to where they should be but the cross eyed mod hardly changed a thing.  Still double crosses with the actual point somewhere in between which made cockpit clicking suck big time.  So at least I know that the wonky view at my feet was specifically caused by the OpenXR method and not the others.

So next I went and shut off OpenXR in Varjo Base and tested to see if that would use SteamVR since both OpenVR and OpenXR were shut off in Varjo Base.  Nope still using Varjo's OpenVR with the 4 view.  So I went and used the OpenXR force Steam VR shortcut.  This got me off of the craptastic Varjo OpenVR and back to SteamVR which definitely behaved itself better.  For some reason this also made the cross eyed fix work perfectly too.  Each time I had changed how I was getting into DCS the cross eyed fix window came up and I did the double flip and save and close each time but it was only the last time using SteamVR that it actually worked.

Not sure if I even want to mess with it now that it is in a functional state.

17 hours ago, dburne said:

What happens if you use the default VR recenter instead of numpad 5?

This fixed my weird centre and cross eye problems !  (Controls , UI Layer , Recentre VR Headset). Just bound this to spacebar. (like MSFS).

DCS still starts behind the start screen ( yes behind - on the backside with all writing reversed left to right...).  

One press of the spacebar puts me back in front of the start screen , a little zoomed out , and the second press of spacebar - just bloody perfect - funny how the eye remembers !

I do not need to run the cross eye tool ( I think it might have complicated things for me) so not going to fiddle further at this stage.

7 hours ago, ciae985 said:

Ok will play with the Default centre view although I sense there are two things going on - central start display and crossed eye display (both started together).

Central Display : on entering VR the DCS startup screen is on a crazy angle ( sometimes backwards) and on first press of numpad 5 it does centre but it’s too zoomed out. On second press , it remains centred but zooms too far in. It zooms in so close it’s hard to tell if any cross eye is occurring.

Crossed eye : when loading a flight , the cross eyes becomes apparent and remains when entering the aircraft and “zoom” appears normal. And if required recentre display works fine.

I can see the cross eye tool saves the settings in “Oculus Rift CV1.LUA” as displayed in the calibration screen. I also noticed a “hedy.LUA” was also modified but not same time. Are you guys seeing this second file? Deletion of the first file allows for a recalibration of cross eye and I’ve tried this several times with and without the second file to no avail.

The Oculus lua file is generated by cross eye tool if you use OpenComposite OpenXR mode (it incorrectly ID the Aero as Oculus CV1), the hedy.lua file indicates the Aero for OpenVR mode (I have no idea why they don’t use Aero.lua or something more intuitive—sometimes the way some programmers think is a bit eccentric I guess).  So only one is used depending on which API you choose to run DCS with.

Edited by Supmua

2 hours ago, Stubbies2003 said:

So this one was hella weird for me.  I tried all of these at the same time.  I can't say if the cross eyed worked on Open XR because the viewing angle was so borked in OpenXR that there was no possibility of flying.  In OpenXR both the main screen and the select role/brief/etc screens were all down at my feet.  I was hoping that jumping into the pit would fix this but nope I was floating well above and slightly ahead of the F-16 cockpit.  I exited out and undid the two DLL files and the ini file and used the regular shortcut to nullify the OpenXR mod.

Back into Varjo OpenVR the views returned to where they should be but the cross eyed mod hardly changed a thing.  Still double crosses with the actual point somewhere in between which made cockpit clicking suck big time.  So at least I know that the wonky view at my feet was specifically caused by the OpenXR method and not the others.

So next I went and shut off OpenXR in Varjo Base and tested to see if that would use SteamVR since both OpenVR and OpenXR were shut off in Varjo Base.  Nope still using Varjo's OpenVR with the 4 view.  So I went and used the OpenXR force Steam VR shortcut.  This got me off of the craptastic Varjo OpenVR and back to SteamVR which definitely behaved itself better.  For some reason this also made the cross eyed fix work perfectly too.  Each time I had changed how I was getting into DCS the cross eyed fix window came up and I did the double flip and save and close each time but it was only the last time using SteamVR that it actually worked.

Not sure if I even want to mess with it now that it is in a functional state.

Without force_steam_VR, DCS will automatically use Varjo’s OpenVR mode which doesn’t need cross eye adjustment (but as I said, not recommended as it has performance and GUI issue at present).  This would’ve been an ideal mode to run DCS if Varjo and ED can work it out, since it doesn’t need Steam GUI and/or OpenXR translation layers.

The cross eye tool window at present will keep popping up unless you have already created the corresponding headset.lua file after pressing SAVE, which only comes up after a parameter change is made (by mouse clicking) in Varjo’s OpenVR mode—but this mode doesn’t need it as it already has cross eye adjustment done automatically.

Edited by Supmua

3 hours ago, Supmua said:

The Oculus lua file is generated by cross eye tool if you use OpenComposite OpenXR mode (it incorrectly ID the Aero as Oculus CV1), the hedy.lua file indicates the Aero for OpenVR mode (I have no idea why they don’t use Aero.lua or something more intuitive—sometimes the way some programmers think is a bit eccentric I guess).  So only one is used depending on which API you choose to run DCS with.

Interestingly enough I now have a hedy.lua and a VarjoAero.lua file.

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Interestingly enough I now have a hedy.lua and a VarjoAero.lua file.

Interesting, I don't have the VarjoAero.lua one.

Is the content inside like this?

EYE_LEFT = {
    L_OUT    =1.395020,
    L_IN    =0.701069,
    L_TOP    =0.759638,
    L_BTM    =1.010263,
}
EYE_RGHT = {
    R_OUT    =1.357678,
    R_IN    =0.703286,
    R_TOP    =0.755739,
    R_BTM    =1.011197,
}

4 hours ago, Supmua said:

Interesting, I don't have the VarjoAero.lua one.

Is the content inside like this?

EYE_LEFT = {
    L_OUT    =1.395020,
    L_IN    =0.701069,
    L_TOP    =0.759638,
    L_BTM    =1.010263,
}
EYE_RGHT = {
    R_OUT    =1.357678,
    R_IN    =0.703286,
    R_TOP    =0.755739,
    R_BTM    =1.011197,
}

Contents of my Varjo Aero.lua:

EYE_LEFT = {
    L_OUT    =1.533293,
    L_IN    =0.700153,
    L_TOP    =0.774217,
    L_BTM    =1.055156,
}
EYE_RGHT = {
    R_OUT    =1.506678,
    R_IN    =0.706547,
    R_TOP    =0.772813,
    R_BTM    =1.053034,
}

I noted that file was created on my system on April 3rd, which I think was around the time I was trying out the Open XR Mod with my Aero.  I imagine my headset now is likely using the hedy.lua since I went back to Steam VR instead. I checked the contents of my hedy.lua and they are identical to the above.

Edited by dburne

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Contents of my Varjo Aero.lua:

EYE_LEFT = {
    L_OUT    =1.533293,
    L_IN    =0.700153,
    L_TOP    =0.774217,
    L_BTM    =1.055156,
}
EYE_RGHT = {
    R_OUT    =1.506678,
    R_IN    =0.706547,
    R_TOP    =0.772813,
    R_BTM    =1.053034,
}

I noted that file was created on my system on April 3rd, which I think was around the time I was trying out the Open XR Mod with my Aero.  I imagine my headset now is likely using the hedy.lua since I went back to Steam VR instead. I checked the contents of my hedy.lua and they are identical to the above.

That must've been the case with the newer OpenXR mod then, the old version used to identify the Aero as the Reverb G2.

16 minutes ago, hannibal said:

anyone have this working on an oculus rifts S?

This thread is about Varjo Aero general setup, not sure the content here is applicable to the Rift S.

• Like 1