Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

6 hours ago, zildac said:

This is the same issue I’m having on the other OXR thread. When you mention:

Are you talking about the files from the author's site or some shared here when you reference "modified" ? I ask as I downloaded a repackaged version shared on the forum and I can't remember where! They are now the only route that works for Open Composite on my end (G2 still). For all others (system-wide or individual DLL from author's site) DCS just starts in pancake mode.

The 64 bit .dll file from the Open Composite site for manual install. That is only file needed just drop it in DCS Bin folder.

And then this:

2. Varjo's OpenXR must be on (set this in Base app), and SteamVR must not be the default mode for OpenXR.  Also, don't forget to run DCS with --force_steam_VR command.

It needs the force steam vr command as listed above for the Aero tracking.

Edit: Sorry I see you mention you have Reverb G2, that may be a bit different for this second part I listed.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

12 minutes ago, dburne said:

The 64 bit .dll file from the Open Composite site for manual install. That is only file needed just drop it in DCS Bin folder.

And then this:

It needs the force steam vr command as listed above for the Aero tracking.

Edit: Sorry I see you mention you have Reverb G2, that may be a bit different for this second part I listed.

Many thanks, understood. Yes, I am trying to use those, but they only launch in 2D, I do have a packaged version that works, however. Still troubleshooting. Yes, still on G2 for a few weeks yet according to Aero shipping notice!

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

@Supmua,

Which system in your sig are you running your Aero on?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, dburne said:

@Supmua,

Which system in your sig are you running your Aero on?

9900/3090

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

47 minutes ago, Supmua said:

9900/3090

Ok thanks so we are running the same.

Don B

Just got the aero. Very pretty. Using the SteamVR/Open XR (seems simplest). MFDs sharp. No shimmering. But not quite as smooth (subjective) as the Vive Pro 2.

Is the resolution via Steam VR or the Varjo Resolution PPD the ACTUAL resolution used in DCS? 

I saw the other posts about the OpenVR-has anyone else used this successfully? To what benefit? 

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

16 minutes ago, Slick Twitchy said:

Just got the aero. Very pretty. Using the SteamVR/Open XR (seems simplest). MFDs sharp. No shimmering. But not quite as smooth (subjective) as the Vive Pro 2.

Is the resolution via Steam VR or the Varjo Resolution PPD the ACTUAL resolution used in DCS? 

I saw the other posts about the OpenVR-has anyone else used this successfully? To what benefit? 

Yes I get better performance with Open Composite/Open XR Mod in DCS rather than Steam VR.

See the first post by @Supmua in this thread for details on how to use with the Aero.

Edit: Steam VR resolution would be a multiplier on the Varjo fixed display res. You would likely need to lower Steam VR res some below 100% to get smooth gameplay. Alternatively with the Open Composite/Open XR Mod you would use the Open XR Developer tools to lower that resolution some.

It is a lot to take in at one time. Suggest you get it running in your liking in Steam VR first as it is somewhat less complex than installing the Mod and learning it. Afterward you can start reading up on the Mod and dig into it in due time. All you need there should be in the original post by Supmua in this thread.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Excellent advice. Will do.

It was foregone conclusion (once you said you got better performance with open composite) that I'd have to try it. Following the initial instructions in this thread made it pretty easy. It is really appreciated for your help guys.

Anyone on the fence about the Aero-it is really beautiful and clear. And after following advice in this thread it is smooth too. 

Edited by Slick Twitchy
Update

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

Nothing really new here, just a nice short recap of the Aero with DCS.

• Like 3

Don B

with the latest openxr toolkit that allows FSR I am getting such fantastic performance out of my aero its almost ridiculous (compared to my old index running every conceivable combination of performance mod). 

if you're on the fence, the aero is spectacular. 

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

34 minutes ago, DavePastry said:

with the latest openxr toolkit that allows FSR I am getting such fantastic performance out of my aero its almost ridiculous (compared to my old index running every conceivable combination of performance mod). 

if you're on the fence, the aero is spectacular. 

Can you elaborate on FSR? I too am using Open XR along with the Toolkit, main thing I use it for is resolution and couple of other minor adjustments. But yeah performance definitely better than Steam VR. Might have lost a little sharpness in overall image though.

Edited by dburne

Don B

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Can you elaborate on FSR? I too am using Open XR along with the Toolkit, main thing I use it for is resolution and couple of other minor adjustments. But yeah performance definitely better than Steam VR. Might have lost a little sharpness in overall image though.

in the tool-kit you have 2 options for resolution control:

• System tab / Override resolution: Enable overriding the overall OpenXR target resolution  <-- you're using this option right now
  • Performance tab / Upscaling:  OFF (default), NIS, FSR
    • allows you to reduce the 'size' of the screen, i.e. lower the resolution (you'll see ver/horizontal numbers there)
    • then either NIS or FSR will then upscale it to 100%
    • also allows you to modify the sharpness. I.e, even if you don't reduce the 'size' you can still add sharpness anyway..

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

1 hour ago, peachmonkey said:

in the tool-kit you have 2 options for resolution control:

• System tab / Override resolution: Enable overriding the overall OpenXR target resolution  <-- you're using this option right now
  • Performance tab / Upscaling:  OFF (default), NIS, FSR
    • allows you to reduce the 'size' of the screen, i.e. lower the resolution (you'll see ver/horizontal numbers there)
    • then either NIS or FSR will then upscale it to 100%
    • also allows you to modify the sharpness. I.e, even if you don't reduce the 'size' you can still add sharpness anyway..

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

Ok I will have to give that a try , much thanks for the info!

Don B

So, what numbers do you set your resolution when FSR is on?

And the other parameters? Sharpness etc?

Edited by Slick Twitchy

All this different terminology used for VR headsets now can easily confuse me...

Edit: So does FSR actually work now on Nvidia GPU and on DCS? I read that game devs need to support it also.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Yea me too. Just when I thought I had things "dialed in" a whole new branch of vocabulary emerges. FSR/NIS. I was just getting my head around MFD, and CBUs....

I messed around with FSR - really just turned it on- I didn't notice a difference. I'm not sure about the upscaling etc...hurts my head...

Do I need to use OpenXR Developer Tools (Also known as OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality?

Edited by Slick Twitchy

19 hours ago, Slick Twitchy said:

Yea me too. Just when I thought I had things "dialed in" a whole new branch of vocabulary emerges. FSR/NIS. I was just getting my head around MFD, and CBUs....

I messed around with FSR - really just turned it on- I didn't notice a difference. I'm not sure about the upscaling etc...hurts my head...

Do I need to use OpenXR Developer Tools (Also known as OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality?

Yeah the Tools opens up a lot of adjustments you can do. You really should check it out, although it can be quite the rabbit hole to run down.

I spoke with the developer of the Toolkit earlier today on Discord, and found that eye tracking along with foveated rendering is not working with DCS or IL-2, only MSFS 2020. He said he would need help from the game Devs in order to get this implemented and so far has not received that. I suspect we (Aero Owners) are such few users that they don't feel it would be worth the effort. Although I am sure the same tech will likely be in other next gen VR headsets. Maybe then they will look at it more seriously.

In the meantime if we just wanted to check out eye tracking/foveated rendering, if we have MSFS 2020 we could check it out in that one. I have it but am mostly a combat guy so I rarely fly it, but will have to check it out here soon just to see it in action.

Edited by dburne

Don B

FSR by AMD is compatible with all GPUs while NIS is NVIDIA only. These are image upscaling tech. For example, at 70% setting it will utilize that res and upscale the image to 100% with very small performance cost at the expense of some visual artifacts.  These techs use spatial aliasing for upscaling and lack temporal element so artifacts/shimmering may be more prominent compared to techs that have temporal elements (DLSS, DLAA, FSR 2.0, Apple’s MetalFX).

OpenXR dev tool is for WMR headsets only, not the same as OpenXRToolkit which works with anything that supports OpenXR.  

1 hour ago, Slick Twitchy said:

I need to shoot stuff.

Then go shoot stuff, no need to worry about all these extra settings. 

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Well, I like to tinker too. 

Thanks for explaining...

Edited by Slick Twitchy

Hi ,

After update today to Varjo Base, release version 3.6 and firmware update the headset seems to be unable to connect to pc. Some reboots and power cutoff and still nothing. The headset is alive with blinking lights etc.  I did not have much time to work the problem this morning. I contacted varjo support

Just to know if anyone had the same experience.

nevertheless I thank them anyway for the effort to improve the system 

1 hour ago, VentiPaco said:

Hi ,

After update today to Varjo Base, release version 3.6 and firmware update the headset seems to be unable to connect to pc. Some reboots and power cutoff and still nothing. The headset is alive with blinking lights etc.  I did not have much time to work the problem this morning. I contacted varjo support

Just to know if anyone had the same experience.

nevertheless I thank them anyway for the effort to improve the system 

Seems many are having issues with yesterday's update. I am holding off updating on my end for now. Varjo is on the case.

Don B

Just posted by Varjo this morning:

A quick update: Some of you have been experiencing an issue where Varjo System has stopped working and seeing error MSG-008 after the recent update. We are aware of this issue and are working to find a fix as soon as possible. We kindly recommend that you wait for the fix before updating to 3.6. Thank you for your patience.

Don B

56 minutes ago, dburne said:

Just posted by Varjo this morning:

Thanks! What's the source discord/twitter? Mine should be here in the coming days, so would be useful to have such alerts. Although currently I don't seem able to download the previous version, looks like there is an issue with the Varjo site.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, zildac said:

Thanks! What's the source discord/twitter? Mine should be here in the coming days, so would be useful to have such alerts. Although currently I don't seem able to download the previous version, looks like there is an issue with the Varjo site.

Varjo Official Discord. I am staying away from this update till they get a handle on what is going on.

Edited by dburne

Don B