Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Varjo Official Discord. I am staying away from this update till they get a handle on what is going on.

Thanks for the prompt response. Yeah, I'm trying to download 3.5.1 in readiness but none of the download links on the page including 3.6 appear to be working. Could be a local issue I guess.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 minutes ago, zildac said:

Thanks for the prompt response. Yeah, I'm trying to download 3.5.1 in readiness but none of the download links on the page including 3.6 appear to be working. Could be a local issue I guess.

I typically just choose to download in Varjo Base. But I think it will also install it after download and I don't want to do that just yet.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 minute ago, alfred2704 said:

I faced the same problem. Full uninstall including saved data clean up. Then Install 3.6 as if it is the first time installation. It worked.

New brightness feature is cool.

brightness.png

Some are complaining about a degradation of the image clarity in this update. You notice any difference? I am still holding off updating on my end.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 minutes ago, alfred2704 said:

Hi, I didn't notice anything strange in the image quality.

I have to mention that I'm using steamVR since openXR mode being OK in performance but not in image quality.

Interesting - good to know you did not notice a difference in clarity, thanks. Some others are really complaining about it.

Don B

1 hour ago, alfred2704 said:

Hi, I didn't notice anything strange in the image quality.

I have to mention that I'm using steamVR since openXR mode being OK in performance but not in image quality.

make sure you turn off V-sync in Varjo Base with OpenXR, otherwise everything will look super blurry...

2 hours ago, Slick Twitchy said:

Any updates on the 3.6 update issue?

None that I have seen - based on the issues I see being reported I am holding off on updating mine for now.

Don B

Varjo has identified the problem with 3.6 and hopefully a hotfix on this next week. I have not yet updated to 3.6 and won't till the fixed version is out.

Note for Varjo users: We have identified a critical bug in the 3.6 Varjo Base release that can cause compositor crashing/blurriness for the user. We apologize for this inconvenience, and we are working urgently to fix it.

If you have updated Varjo Base to 3.6 already:
We are working on a hot fix now (3.6.1) that resolves the issue, and the ETA for this release is next week.

The quick fix today is to:
1. Either roll back to 3.5.1 through our downloads page (Varjo Base - Older Versions). This should clear all your issues.
2. Or, you have the ability to factory reset Varjo Base under Support -> Troubleshooting -> Reset Factory Settings, which will reset settings back to default. This fix can help you with blurriness, and  3.6 can work fine with this fix being done first.

If you haven’t updated Varjo Base yet: 
We recommend using the previous Varjo Base version until the issue has been resolved.

Our team would like to thank the whole community for providing information and assistance in resolving the current issues. Thank you.
We’ll keep you posted as we continue to work on this. (edited)

https://discord.com/channels/839478779256897546/953295284841115709/984841195203219547

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

12 minutes ago, dburne said:

Varjo has identified the problem with 3.6 and hopefully a hotfix on this next week. I have not yet updated to 3.6 and won't till the fixed version is out.

https://discord.com/channels/839478779256897546/953295284841115709/984841195203219547

yup, btw you can use the latest HMD firmware (can't remember the release version) with VB 3.5.1, no issues with running it like that.

15 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

yup, btw you can use the latest HMD firmware (can't remember the release version) with VB 3.5.1, no issues with running it like that.

Thanks but I will just wait and let it install with the fixed 3.6 update.

Don B

It seems the new Varjo Base (3.6) is causing issues for a lot of people. I haven’t tried this as I’m on vacation abroad. The current recommendation is to either reset the Base software or downgrade to 3.5.1, then wait for the hotfix next week.  

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 minute ago, Supmua said:

It seems the new Varjo Base (3.6) is causing issues for a lot of people. I haven’t tried this as I’m on vacation abroad. The current recommendation is to either reset the Base software or downgrade to 3.5.1, then wait for the hotfix next week.  

See three posts up...

:renske:

Don B

Can anyone explain to me in somewhat simple terms how using FSR is supposed to work? The below is from the documentation of the Open XR Toolkit:

• A value above 100% represents the ratio “target display resolution over application rendering resolution”. The higher the value, the lower the application rendering resolution. For example, a value of 200% means that the application rendering resolution will be calculated to produce a target display resolution twice higher. If the target display resolution is 2200x2200 pixels, then the application will render at a resolution of 1100x1100 pixels.

• A value below 100% represents the ratio “application rendering resolution over target display resolution”. This is how the upscaling factor was specified in the previous version of the NIS Scaler. The lower the value, the lower the application rendering resolution. For example, a value of 50% means that the application rendering resolution will be half of the target display resolution. If the target display resolution is 2200x2200 pixels, then the application will render at a resolution of 1100x1100 pixels.

Ok so it says the higher the value, the lower the resolution. And then goes on and says the lower the value, the lower the resolution. Now when I am in the Open XR Toolkit settings in VR, I can only lower the resolution. The key mapping to lower the res lowers it, and the key mapping to increase the resolution - lowers it as well.

How the heck is this supposed to work? I have asked over on the Open XR Toolkit Discord but not getting an answer I can wrap my arms around. I wanted to give this a try with my Aero but no clue how to use this scaling technique. 

So I am supposed to just lower the resolution? What is different lowering the resolution in the FSR setting versus just lowering the resolution in the main setting?

Edited by dburne

Don B

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Can anyone explain to me in somewhat simple terms how using FSR is supposed to work? The below is from the documentation of the Open XR Toolkit:

Whether you adjust the setting above or below %100, it is doing the same thing. 

The initial implementation of the NIS scaler used a decreasing percentage to indicate "application rendering resolution over target display resolution"

Then, at the request of users and to be more inline with how other games implement NIS/FSR, Matt also allowed values above %100, indicating "target display resolution over application rendering resolution"

So, in effect, as said in the documentation, %50 is the same as %200, but they are referring to opposite relationships between target display and application resolutions.

Stick with a direction that makes sense to you, and adjust it down (or up) from %100 until you find a spot that you are happy with both image quality and performance gain. 

(I am currently using FSR at %90)

/m

1 hour ago, mjfrisby said:

Whether you adjust the setting above or below %100, it is doing the same thing. 

The initial implementation of the NIS scaler used a decreasing percentage to indicate "application rendering resolution over target display resolution"

Then, at the request of users and to be more inline with how other games implement NIS/FSR, Matt also allowed values above %100, indicating "target display resolution over application rendering resolution"

So, in effect, as said in the documentation, %50 is the same as %200, but they are referring to opposite relationships between target display and application resolutions.

Stick with a direction that makes sense to you, and adjust it down (or up) from %100 until you find a spot that you are happy with both image quality and performance gain. 

(I am currently using FSR at %90)

/m

Still not sure I quite understand, but thanks I will start just adjusting down for FSR and see how it goes. Or maybe  I will just stick with regular SS - way less complex.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I really am getting way deeper in the weeds with this than I care to. Yes I have gained some performance but at the same time have lost some image clarity. I think for tomorrow's session I am going back to the much simpler Steam VR and see how I get along with that after spending a few days with Open XR and the Toolkit. Reckon I always can switch back and forth should I wish.

Don B

Ok so after spending all day today flying in Steam VR with my Aero, I have decided to just stick with it. I find myself enjoying the flights more with very good image clarity and still acceptable performance for me. All those settings/adjustments in Open XR with the Toolkit was just too much for me, spent hours and hours trying different things and can't say I improved my experience doing so. Steam VR is much simpler for me and I have a lot more fun flying rather than tweaking.  So I am back to no mods thank goodness.

Edited by dburne

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Ok so after spending all day today flying in Steam VR with my Aero, I have decided to just stick with it. I find myself enjoying the flights more with very good image clarity and still acceptable performance for me. All those settings/adjustments in Open XR with the Toolkit was just too much for me, spent hours and hours trying different things and can't say I improved my experience doing so. Steam VR is much simpler for me and I have a lot more fun flying rather than tweaking.  So I am back to no mods thank goodness.

nullI won't argue with your decision to stick with what works for you.. there is certainly something to be said for keeping it simple.  It can become tiring constantly tweaking and tuning and forgetting to actually have fun.

I will just say however, that you don't even need to use the OpenXR Toolkit.  Simply using the OpenComposite DLL is enough to gain some level of performance over SteamVR.  This is mostly due to removing a redundant piece of the pipeline (steamVR compositor)..  these are two back to back tests, "Free Flight" instant action, Marianas, Huey..  similar FPS, but the smoothness provided by the (far) better %1 and %0.1 lows is noticeable.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just stating that OpenXR Toolkit and all its possible tweaking/tuning aren't required to use OpenXR via OpenComposite.

image.png

image.png

Edited by mjfrisby
  • Like 1

So with Foveated rendering enabled in base, I'm assuming it still needs to be enabled in OXRTK too? I'm using OCC and OXRTK.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Don B

Update from Varjo on the 3.6 software Hotfix:

3.6 Status update:

We have found the cause for the issues and are working on it.

It is essential that we can deliver an issue-free hotfix for you. To succeed in this, we must strictly pay attention to the quality instead of providing anything in haste. To avoid urgency-born issues, we have allocated additional time for improving the hotfix. We understand that waiting isn't what you would want right now, and we share the frustration. Working on the fix is currently set as a high priority. We will do everything in our power to make sure that the update can be delivered as soon as possible. Meanwhile, you may continue using Varjo Base 3.5.1.

Thank you for your patience.

https://discord.com/channels/839478779256897546/953295284841115709/986609317916577802

Don B

On 6/14/2022 at 5:21 AM, zildac said:

So with Foveated rendering enabled in base, I'm assuming it still needs to be enabled in OXRTK too? I'm using OCC and OXRTK.

As I understand from the Developer of the Toolkit, neither foveated rendering or eye tracking are working with DCS currently, only MSFS 2020. He posted on this over on Discord just a couple of days or so ago.

Don B

12 hours ago, dburne said:

As I understand from the Developer of the Toolkit, neither foveated rendering or eye tracking are working with DCS currently, only MSFS 2020. He posted on this over on Discord just a couple of days or so ago.

Thanks, I did get a reply from him  after I asked on discord. Would be great if ED could offer support for this (along with native OXR too)!!