Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

Just got back from vacation and had a chance to try some new things from recent DCS and Varjo updates.

Varjo Base 3.6.0.8 update.  This requires firmware update also which takes several minutes to do.  The system wide brightness adjustment is nice but I noticed the reported blurriness right away especially on web browsing, so had to revert back to Varjo Base version 3.5.1.7, and this required manual removal of the 3.6.0.8 version prior to the reinstall.  I did not have to downgrade the firmware for this, but did lose the brightness adjustment option.

DCS South Atlantic map.  The varying terrains are nice especially at high altitude but the textures at low altitude are relatively simple which reminds me of older flightsim games.  What is interesting is that this map is very GPU-bound compared to other recent maps such as Marianas, Syria, etc.  Low altitude flying in heavily populated areas yielded GPU frametimes as high as 35 ms, while CPU ft never went above 17-18 (in desolated areas it barely went above 11 ms).

One thing I notice right away is the chromatic aberration with this headset, after not using it for 2 weeks.  It's interesting how the brain can cope with this making it become unnoticeable after prolonged use.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I tried it everything but DCS refuses to start. Not sure what it is, but I do have a seperate DCS drive specifically for DCS and its modules. I also get some weird problems, like objects like other aircraft disappearing from either or both lens. As well as double mouse cursors. 

14 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

I tried it everything but DCS refuses to start. Not sure what it is, but I do have a seperate DCS drive specifically for DCS and its modules. I also get some weird problems, like objects like other aircraft disappearing from either or both lens. As well as double mouse cursors. 

You mentioned aircraft disappearing but also DCS refusing to start, are these issues present on separate occasions?  It will typically either run or not run.  Also make sure there is no problem running other SteamVR apps with your Aero, to rule out the possibility of the headset malfunctioning.

Which mode did you try (Steam OpenVR vs Varjo OpenVR vs Varjo OpenXR)?  You would see double cursor in Varjo OpenVR mode, which is currently not recommended.

To keep things simple, I suggest using Steam OpenVR mode for now.  When you can get it to work consistently then try the OpenXR mode.  Avoid Varjo OpenVR mode.

It is not easy at present to get the Aero to work correctly with DCS, there are several steps involved.  I'm not sure why it has to be this way (ask the devs) but the headset is pretty much plug and play with other VR games.  The easiest fix from ED would be to switch the default mode from Varjo OpenVR back to Steam OpenVR, or just fix the current issues with Varjo OpenVR mode.  I've recently updated the guide in the first post to try to minimize the headache.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

After update today to Varjo Base, release version 3.6 and firmware update the headset seems to be unable to connect to pc. Some reboots and power cutoff and still nothing. The headset is alive with blinking lights etc.  I did not have much time to work the problem this morning. I contacted varjo support

Just to know if anyone had the same experience.

@VentiPaco, my Varjo Aero has always had issues connecting; I actually have to unplug/replug it and restart Varjo Base many times before I get a good connection with the displays working.  My success rate is 10-20%... but after working with the Varjo guys, I figured out that I just need to keep at it, it ultimately connects and will stay online for weeks. 

They sent me a replacement early on, but it behaved the same.   It might have something to do with the rest of my hardware, but I'm content once I get it online. 

Sometimes I get a green LED on the headset and Varjo Base seems fine, but the displays are black... unplug/replug the headset to reboot, try again. 

Varjo Base 3.6.x seems to have a better success rate, but it's not 100% yet. 

Edited by Gordy
quoted text is missing

58 minutes ago, Gordy said:

@VentiPaco, my Varjo Aero has always had issues connecting; I actually have to unplug/replug it and restart Varjo Base many times before I get a good connection with the displays working.  My success rate is 10-20%... but after working with the Varjo guys, I figured out that I just need to keep at it, it ultimately connects and will stay online for weeks. 

They sent me a replacement early on, but it behaved the same.   It might have something to do with the rest of my hardware, but I'm content once I get it online. 

Sometimes I get a green LED on the headset and Varjo Base seems fine, but the displays are black... unplug/replug the headset to reboot, try again. 

Varjo Base 3.6.x seems to have a better success rate, but it's not 100% yet. 

Varjo Base 3.6 is very much broken, suggest to stay away from it till they get a hotfix for it out.

Varjo is really starting to disappoint me. Lot of issues with quality of headsets they are shipping out, and very long support replies and getting issues resolved. I still love my Aero and thankfully at least so far not having any issue, but not sure I can even in good faith recommend them any longer. Too much money to be having such issues.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Check out XRNeckSafer/VRNeckSafer if you have a chance.  You can check six a lot easier now with fairly easy installation.

Norbert Siepenkötter / XrNeckSafer · GitLab

My current settings below, 1:1 turning until I go past 80 degrees.

Untitled.png

Edited by Supmua

On 6/20/2022 at 8:10 PM, dburne said:

Varjo Base 3.6 is very much broken, suggest to stay away from it till they get a hotfix for it out.

Varjo is really starting to disappoint me. Lot of issues with quality of headsets they are shipping out, and very long support replies and getting issues resolved. I still love my Aero and thankfully at least so far not having any issue, but not sure I can even in good faith recommend them any longer. Too much money to be having such issues.

I dunno, once I got the Aero working, I'm practically living in it.   The immersion is awesome.   Nothing else was good enough to use in DCS, so I was using TrackIR, which was always a struggle to orient my head to see the right switches, and look up/behind in a furball, etc.  

With Varjo Base 3.6.0.8, I'm mostly seeing a slightly softer display, nothing dramatic, so it's not bothering me.  Which actually raises a question - I'm using the OpenXR toolkit and default resolution, which I expect is optimal for image clarity, and gets me 35-60 fps.   But with the way VR wraps the image, I am still really confused about what the optimal render resolution should be, so I've been leaving it at the default.   Everything looks really good, just a bit weird when I'm on the taxiway with other jets puttering around.   Just wondering what other people are using for the resolution and what is supposed to be optimal (hopefully that's the default).   If I'm not seeing a big difference with Varjo Base 3.6.0.8, maybe I didn't have it dialed in as much as I thought.

Other things that have popped up with Varjo Base 3.6.0.8 and the firmware update - my headset briefly popped up an overheat warning(!), but it went away almost immediately and was otherwise fine, and at one point it would black out for a few seconds at a time... always seemed to be when trying to land a helo, of course.... but a reboot has fixed that <knock wood>.

5 hours ago, Gordy said:

I dunno, once I got the Aero working, I'm practically living in it.   The immersion is awesome.   Nothing else was good enough to use in DCS, so I was using TrackIR, which was always a struggle to orient my head to see the right switches, and look up/behind in a furball, etc.  

With Varjo Base 3.6.0.8, I'm mostly seeing a slightly softer display, nothing dramatic, so it's not bothering me.  Which actually raises a question - I'm using the OpenXR toolkit and default resolution, which I expect is optimal for image clarity, and gets me 35-60 fps.   But with the way VR wraps the image, I am still really confused about what the optimal render resolution should be, so I've been leaving it at the default.   Everything looks really good, just a bit weird when I'm on the taxiway with other jets puttering around.   Just wondering what other people are using for the resolution and what is supposed to be optimal (hopefully that's the default).   If I'm not seeing a big difference with Varjo Base 3.6.0.8, maybe I didn't have it dialed in as much as I thought.

Other things that have popped up with Varjo Base 3.6.0.8 and the firmware update - my headset briefly popped up an overheat warning(!), but it went away almost immediately and was otherwise fine, and at one point it would black out for a few seconds at a time... always seemed to be when trying to land a helo, of course.... but a reboot has fixed that <knock wood>.

Optimal resolution is relative because we don't have the same set of eyes or PC setups.  For me it's whatever gets me 45 fps in most situations, and for my setup it's typically 3200 horizontal pixels in OpenXR mode although I might drop this down to 3000 or even lower in maps such as Mariana or in MP session.

I'm not liking the blur that was introduced with VB 3.6.0.8 (more evident if you run the headset at 39PPD), also the headset tends to blackout/go to sleep inappropriately with this version.  Varjo has been relatively slow with the software hotfix and update compared to other companies, which is unfortunate.  We still don't have native DX12 support with Varjo OpenXR and DCS is still broken with Varjo OpenVR, at least on the Aero.  The good news is that my (replacement) headset has been trouble free hardware-wise.

3 hours ago, Supmua said:

Optimal resolution is relative because we don't have the same set of eyes or PC setups.  For me it's whatever gets me 45 fps in most situations, and for my setup it's typically 3200 horizontal pixels in OpenXR mode although I might drop this down to 3000 or even lower in maps such as Mariana or in MP session.

I'm not liking the blur that was introduced with VB 3.6.0.8 (more evident if you run the headset at 39PPD), also the headset tends to blackout/go to sleep inappropriately with this version.  Varjo has been relatively slow with the software hotfix and update compared to other companies, which is unfortunate.  We still don't have native DX12 support with Varjo OpenXR and DCS is still broken with Varjo OpenVR, at least on the Aero.  The good news is that my (replacement) headset has been trouble free hardware-wise.

Have not updated to 3.6 yet. Why did you return a headset?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

42 minutes ago, dburne said:

Have not updated to 3.6 yet. Why did you return a headset?

The return was way back when I first got the headset, found a debris embedded in the right lens.  I believe I was one of the first US customers to return it since I got mine pretty early.  Remember I had 2 headsets for awhile?

Edited by Supmua

52 minutes ago, Supmua said:

The return was way back when I first got the headset, found a debris embedded in the right lens.  I believe I was one of the first US customers to return it since I got mine pretty early.  Remember I had 2 headsets for awhile?

Oh yes I think I do.

Don B

With the opencomposite I got some weird random stutters when turning my head, and then it would stop after awhile. Also, when opening the tactical map and exiting it will trigger the stuttering. Don’t know if I installed it wrong but I reverted back. Will try it again later, as of now I went back to 2D completely off VR.

3 hours ago, Yuma said:

With the opencomposite I got some weird random stutters when turning my head, and then it would stop after awhile. Also, when opening the tactical map and exiting it will trigger the stuttering. Don’t know if I installed it wrong but I reverted back. Will try it again later, as of now I went back to 2D completely off VR.

Did you try the Aero without the Mod, in Steam VR?

Don B

2 hours ago, Yuma said:

Yeah everything worked fine prior.

Out of curiosity then why did you choose to go back to monitor play after experiencing the Aero? I myself chose to go back to Steam VR instead of the Mod as I just found myself getting further into the rabbit hole with adjustments than I cared to do.  I do like the simplicity of Steam VR, and never have been one much for Mods. I am loving the Aero with DCS.

Edited by dburne

Don B

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Out of curiosity then why did you choose to go back to monitor play after experiencing the Aero? I myself chose to go back to Steam VR instead of the Mod as I just found myself getting further into the rabbit hole with adjustments than I cared to do.  I do like the simplicity of Steam VR, and never have been one much for Mods. I am loving the Aero with DCS.

I meant it worked fine but I cant stop short of better... so I tried the recommended opencomposite. I just installed again and played with OpenXR toolkit resolution and now I'm getting better FPS and less stuttering. For some reason the default resolution was way to high got me in the 30 fps and now about 3000 im in the 55-60 top. Makes me wonder what the recommended resolution would be for 12900K and 3080 ti with 64 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Yuma said:

I meant it worked fine but I cant stop short of better... so I tried the recommended opencomposite. I just installed again and played with OpenXR toolkit resolution and now I'm getting better FPS and less stuttering. For some reason the default resolution was way to high got me in the 30 fps and now about 3000 im in the 55-60 top. Makes me wonder what the recommended resolution would be for 12900K and 3080 ti with 64 GB RAM

The optimal resolution would be the highest pixel count that still gives smooth 45+ fps with your preferred DCS settings.  So if you are currently getting 55-60, try 3200 or 3300 horizontal pixels and check performance.  It is better to use CPU and GPU frametimes to assess performance rather than just fps because per frame gives much better info vs per second (22 ms frametime or less is ideal for the Aero).

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

Seems I may have screwed the pooch on this one. Decided to give Open Composite one more try, and now everything is all messed up. Tried to use the system wide install, and now I can not connect to the Display Port with the Aero no matter what I try. One would think I would learn my lesson on this stuff. Headset connects to Varjo Base, but will not connect to Steam VR at all.

Been screwing around with this thing for the last hour now just trying to get Steam VR to work with the Aero once again. Guess I may have to clean install both softwares at this point. Never again will I attempt this just so not worth the trouble.

Don B

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

Seems I may have screwed the pooch on this one. Decided to give Open Composite one more try, and now everything is all messed up. Tried to use the system wide install, and now I can not connect to the Display Port with the Aero no matter what I try. One would think I would learn my lesson on this stuff. Headset connects to Varjo Base, but will not connect to Steam VR at all.

Been screwing around with this thing for the last hour now just trying to get Steam VR to work with the Aero once again. Guess I may have to clean install both softwares at this point. Never again will I attempt this just so not worth the trouble.

Sorry to hear that. That’s one of the reasons why I generally don’t recommend systemwide installation of any type of hacks or mods. You just never know what can happen with your setup even though it may work perfectly for others, and the amount of time sink to fix this when bad things happen can be incredible in a bad way. 

4 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Sorry to hear that. That’s one of the reasons why I generally don’t recommend systemwide installation of any type of hacks or mods. You just never know what can happen with your setup even though it may work perfectly for others, and the amount of time sink to fix this when bad things happen can be incredible in a bad way. 

Just did a new install of both Varjo Base and Steam VR - still no go. Can not connect to graphics card error message every time. If I ever get this back I will never try this again. 

Edited by dburne

Don B

Try plugging in your Valve Index and see if it works. 

32 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Try plugging in your Valve Index and see if it works. 

Had to do a clean install of Varjo Base 3.6 which I had not updated to yet due to the reported issues, and another clean install of Steam VR. Finally got it back, and Open Composite now deleted never to return.

Don B

18 minutes ago, dburne said:

Had to do a clean install of Varjo Base 3.6 which I had not updated to yet due to the reported issues, and another clean install of Steam VR. Finally got it back, and Open Composite now deleted never to return.

yes, you need VB +SteamVR reinstall in these instances. VB can glitch out with SteamVR libraries, which in its turn then turns off SteamVR support in VB (toggle is always OFF and cannot be turned ON), and SteamVR continuously reports "can't connect to hmd" or similar messages. Most likely that was the cause of your problems.

13 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

yes, you need VB +SteamVR reinstall in these instances. VB can glitch out with SteamVR libraries, which in its turn then turns off SteamVR support in VB (toggle is always OFF and cannot be turned ON), and SteamVR continuously reports "can't connect to hmd" or similar messages. Most likely that was the cause of your problems.

Yep sound like it. The message I was getting was it could not connect to my GPU. All good now and I ain't touchin it again lol. Wasted most an afternoon on it.

• Like 1

Don B

1 hour ago, peachmonkey said:

Are Open VR and Open XR both should be toggled on in Varjo Base? I noticed on my fresh install of 3.6 they both are showing toggled on in VB. I am gun shy now on making any changes.

Edited by dburne

Don B