Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

39 minutes ago, dburne said:

Are Open VR and Open XR both should be toggled on in Varjo Base? I noticed on my fresh install of 3.6 they both are showing toggled on in VB. I am gun shy now on making any changes.

Varjo OpenXR should be ON if you want to use OpenComposite again (Remember no DX12 support with Varjo OpenXR...yet), alternatively you can also use Steam OpenXR instead (might not give as good performance due to extra layer but might be more compatible, I haven't really done A/B testing on this though).

Varjo OpenVR should be ON because 99% of the VR games out there including SteamVR overlay and home use OpenVR (the only released game I know of that uses OpenXR is MSFS), but due to software bug the switch appears off all the time.  I think you can still click on the switch to toggle even though the appearance won't change, because when I did that in the past it triggered headset reboot indicating mode switch.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

30 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Varjo OpenXR should be ON if you want to use OpenComposite again (Remember no DX12 support with Varjo OpenXR...yet), alternatively you can also use Steam OpenXR instead (might not give as good performance due to extra layer but might be more compatible, I haven't really done A/B testing on this though).

Varjo OpenVR should be ON because 99% of the VR games out there including SteamVR overlay and home use OpenVR (the only released game I know of that uses OpenXR is MSFS), but due to software bug the switch appears off all the time.  I think you can still click on the switch to toggle even though the appearance won't change, because when I did that in the past it triggered headset reboot indicating mode switch.

Ok so as I mentioned after this new install of VB 3.6 they both are showing toggled on for me, so I will just leave them be. Will not be using the Open XR Mod again, strictly Steam VR from now on for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

19 minutes ago, dburne said:

Ok so as I mentioned after this new install of VB 3.6 they both are showing toggled on for me, so I will just leave them be. Will not be using the Open XR Mod again, strictly Steam VR from now on for me.

I think 3.6 fixes the switch bug while introducing other issues.  Just leave both switches to ON and don’t worry about it.  The only time Varjo OpenXR is off for me is when I want to play MSFS in DX12, or Vader Immortal via Revive.

• Thanks 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Are Open VR and Open XR both should be toggled on in Varjo Base? I noticed on my fresh install of 3.6 they both are showing toggled on in VB. I am gun shy now on making any changes.

for OpenVR games = yes

for OpenXR games = yes

so if you play MSFS (openXR) and DCS (using the default OpenVR dll) then you need both of them on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

for OpenVR games = yes

for OpenXR games = yes

so if you play MSFS (openXR) and DCS (using the default OpenVR dll) then you need both of them on.

Thanks I will leave em both on then - I do an occasional foray into MSFS 2020 for some relaxing GA flying, not often though. I am just thrilled to have Steam VR back working again at this point. Also so far I don't seem to be having issues with the Varjo Base 3.6 that others have had - however did a fresh clean install of it along with the firmware update rather than updating from 3.5 to 3.6.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Varjo Base 3.6.1 is out.  I noticed slightly more chromatic aberration with this vs 3.5.1, but it seems you no longer need to do the Cross Eye correction part (OpenXR only).  This is a nice incremental improvement in QOL, and the manual brightness adjustment is a plus.

In Steam's OpenVR mode, you still have to do the Cross Eye correction step.  I cannot tell the difference in performance between the OpenXR and OpenVR mode with Harrier Caucasus freeflight, both appears smooth but of course my fps is >45 fps.  OpenVR wins out in terms of ground detail pop due to Reshade's Lumasharpen filter, otherwise everything else is mostly the same.  For scenarios that fps drops below 45, I still expect OpenXR to provide less juddering but going to have to test this some other time.

EDIT:  Sharpness isn't as good vs 3.5.1, as evident by Web browsing, but moving the headset 0.5 inch away from my face seems to fix that.  So now I'm on the look out for a thicker facepad.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

Been flying the Apache a good part of the day today with 3.6.1. Can't say I really noticed any difference myself. Steam VR, no mods. New brightness adjustment will be nice to hopefully help some of the darker stuff like flying at night maybe.

Don B

Anyone ever run into this error when trying to run in OpenXR?

image.png

The OpenComposite guide has a footnote about a few games that includes DCS:

* These games use an old version of D3DCompiler_47.dll that is incompatible with some OpenXR Runtimes. If you experience an error with OpenComposite resulting in a -2 error code then find the D3DCompiler_47.dll in the game install dir and rename to D3DCompiler_47.dll_orig. This will then use the one from your system path that should be the latest version if your system is up to date.

I've tried different versions of the D3DCompiler_47.dll (including the one in Supmua's zip folder from this thread) as well as renaming so it uses the one from my system path as suggested in the guide, but I get the same results. Unless someone knows a fix, could one of you drop a copy of your D3DCompiler_47.dll from C:\Windows\System32 that I could try?

I'm almost solely doing this for XRNeckSafer (after realizing VRNeckSafer and the Aero don't play well together) because I play in a DOF Reality motion platform and checking my six is literally a pain in the neck. 🤞

Rig: i9 10900K | 64GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 3600MHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition | ROG STRIX Z-490-I | 2x 1TB Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & Base w/ 200mm Curved Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gladiator NXT Standard Left | VPC ACE Flight Pedals | VPC Control Panel 1 & 2 | 3x BlackHog B-Explorers | DOF Reality P3 | SimShaker JetPad FSE | Varjo Aero

Hangar: F-86F | F-5E | A-4E* | AJS-37 | F-14A/B | F/A-18C | AV-8B | F-15C | P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | AH-64D | SA342 Gazelle | UH-1H | UH-60L* | Mi-24P | Christian Eagle II

36 minutes ago, da_drake said:

Anyone ever run into this error when trying to run in OpenXR?

image.png

The OpenComposite guide has a footnote about a few games that includes DCS:

I've tried different versions of the D3DCompiler_47.dll (including the one in Supmua's zip folder from this thread) as well as renaming so it uses the one from my system path as suggested in the guide, but I get the same results. Unless someone knows a fix, could one of you drop a copy of your D3DCompiler_47.dll from C:\Windows\System32 that I could try?

I'm almost solely doing this for XRNeckSafer (after realizing VRNeckSafer and the Aero don't play well together) because I play in a DOF Reality motion platform and checking my six is literally a pain in the neck. 🤞

Are you running DCS via force_steam_VR command?  This is the most important step.

Make sure the headset is not just on but also detected by placing it on your head, I usually run DCS from Workspace app with the Aero on my head.

The only file that is really needed in the \bin for the newest version is the modified openvr_api.dll, which will need to be replaced after every DCS update since the original one would be restored.

55 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Are you running DCS via force_steam_VR command?  This is the most important step.

Make sure the headset is not just on but also detected by placing it on your head, I usually run DCS from Workspace app with the Aero on my head.

The only file that is really needed in the \bin for the newest version is the modified openvr_api.dll, which will need to be replaced after every DCS update since the original one would be restored.

Well, I actually hadn't tried starting DCS with the headset on. I reverted back to SteamVR last night, so I just dropped the openvr_api.dll into the bin folder. Confirmed OpenXR was enabled in Varjo Base and used the below shortcut to launch DCS with the headset on, but I get the same error. Then added the other .dll and .ini file from your zip, same error.

image.png

Edited by da_drake

Rig: i9 10900K | 64GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 3600MHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition | ROG STRIX Z-490-I | 2x 1TB Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & Base w/ 200mm Curved Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gladiator NXT Standard Left | VPC ACE Flight Pedals | VPC Control Panel 1 & 2 | 3x BlackHog B-Explorers | DOF Reality P3 | SimShaker JetPad FSE | Varjo Aero

Hangar: F-86F | F-5E | A-4E* | AJS-37 | F-14A/B | F/A-18C | AV-8B | F-15C | P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | AH-64D | SA342 Gazelle | UH-1H | UH-60L* | Mi-24P | Christian Eagle II

Does Steam OpenVR mode work for you?  In order to start this you have to do DCS repair to restore the old openvr_api.dll first (remember the modified dll file is for OpenComposite OpenXR only and will cause error with OpenVR mode).  There shouldn’t be any error related to OpenXR as you won’t be using it.

Edited by Supmua

Yea it works fine. To revert I've been deleting the custom files and running a quick DCS repair to get the original files back. 

On my PC it’s pretty much drag and drop the dll file to switch to OpenXR.  I even have Reshade 5 installed which doesn’t cause any issue with OpenXR.  It’s strange that you are getting error but of course we do not have the same setup. I’ve also been switching back and forth between OpenVR and OpenXR without any error.

Edited by Supmua

Resolved! Was chatting on the Varjo discord and someone suggested doing a full DCS repair and checking the "Search for extra files after repair" checkbox. I completely missed that option during the couple of full repairs I did. I must have had some VR shaders or something, and I know I had something to modify the NVGs in VR in there, that I must not have properly cleaned out. Everything is working well, can easily swap back and forth between Steam OpenVR and Varjo OpenXR with ease. Thanks for taking the time to look at this with me!

52 minutes ago, da_drake said:

Resolved! Was chatting on the Varjo discord and someone suggested doing a full DCS repair and checking the "Search for extra files after repair" checkbox. I completely missed that option during the couple of full repairs I did. I must have had some VR shaders or something, and I know I had something to modify the NVGs in VR in there, that I must not have properly cleaned out. Everything is working well, can easily swap back and forth between Steam OpenVR and Varjo OpenXR with ease. Thanks for taking the time to look at this with me!

Great.  OpenCompsite is known to be quite finicky with other preexisting DCS mods so that must’ve been the issue.

Liking the new brightness adjustment in Varjo Base. Seems to help a little in some darker scenes. Only really tested it in Alyx so far, I tend to not fly at nightime in DCS unless a campaign forces me to.

Don B

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Liking the new brightness adjustment in Varjo Base. Seems to help a little in some darker scenes. Only really tested it in Alyx so far, I tend to not fly at nightime in DCS unless a campaign forces me to.

I lowered mine to 80%.  Too dim is no good either, you loose smooth color transition and gradient in the dark area especially when watching movies.  At this setting the overall picture is still a bit dim compared to my OLED TV setup when doing direct comparison.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

What setting are people using for the VR Pixel density inside the DCS settings?

I had been wondering why my images inside VR on my aero were less crisp than on my 2560x1600 monitor despite the VR screens being better... then dialed up the in-dcs VR pixel density setting by a factor of 1.2 or 1.4, and OH MY GOD IT LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER.    And I thought it was good before.  

However, there is significant distortion - it feels over-zoomed, as if I had the VR zoom constantly on... I'm "too close" to the virtual screen, and turning my head has that everything-is-curled-around-me feeling.   It also feels like the IPD is now wrong.  The cross-eye correction tool doesn't seem to help.

I want the upgraded sharpness, but without the warped image.  

Actually... now that I say this, I'm going back to tap the VR zoom and see what happens

If I'm being an idiot and should just tell openxr to render at a resolution 1.2x or 1.4x instead... great.

...running the latest Varjo base 3.6.1.8, and via OpenXR, ftr.

41 minutes ago, Gordy said:

What setting are people using for the VR Pixel density inside the DCS settings?

I had been wondering why my images inside VR on my aero were less crisp than on my 2560x1600 monitor despite the VR screens being better... then dialed up the in-dcs VR pixel density setting by a factor of 1.2 or 1.4, and OH MY GOD IT LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER.    And I thought it was good before.  

However, there is significant distortion - it feels over-zoomed, as if I had the VR zoom constantly on... I'm "too close" to the virtual screen, and turning my head has that everything-is-curled-around-me feeling.   It also feels like the IPD is now wrong.  The cross-eye correction tool doesn't seem to help.

I want the upgraded sharpness, but without the warped image.  

Actually... now that I say this, I'm going back to tap the VR zoom and see what happens

If I'm being an idiot and should just tell openxr to render at a resolution 1.2x or 1.4x instead... great.

...running the latest Varjo base 3.6.1.8, and via OpenXR, ftr.

I’m surprised you got PD other than 1.0 to work with OpenXR, the last time I tried other PD setting wouldn’t run but that was a few months ago. 

Anyway, another way to get shaper image without using DCS PD is to set the Aero at Highest setting (4100+ horizontal pixels at 100%) and leave PD at 1.0. 

Thanks ... I was already running at the highest setting on the aero, and had told OpenXR to not override the resolution... but it's good to verify that it's running at at least the native resolution.

After playing with this for awhile, I think what's really happening is that with the PD cranked up, I'm getting the cross-eye issue - both eyes are required to look more toward the middle than straight ahead.   The magic I'm seeing is that once my eyes find that point, they're getting properly synced on the image, and it's crystal clear, all the objects are rock solid.  They way I've been flying, I always have that sort of ghost and shimmer, as if one eye is polarized differently than the other, or you have the HMD displayed in one and not the other - the image in each eye isn't exactly the same, so a lot of the world looks kind of ethereal, and I had just chalked it up to an artifact of VR in general. 

now... I can't dial this in with the cross-eye correction tool, because the sliders only let me move between values of 1.0 and 1.5, and the correct values are always well outside of that (the "reset" starts at 0.7 and 1.57 for most values).  As soon as I touch the manual slider, it jumps to a very-wrong value. 😞  I can manually edit the .lua file, but that's...crazy to edit, reboot, test, edit reboot, test...   I've already tried swapping top/bottom values and deleting my existing .lua file, those are as good as they're going to get. 

The aspect ratio is also clearly wrong; if I turn my head sideways, I can see the image compress vertically.   I don't have that problem with PD set to 1.0.    I can't start the VR session at all with PD set to 0.5. 

I tried switching to OpenVR, and I don't have these problems there, but I also don't see a dramatically improved image, and it steals about 5-10 fps from me.   So I think I need to work out how to get my cross-eyedness dialed in... anyone know how to get those sliders to work on a wider range?

Resolution increase alone is just a parameter for image quality.  I don’t see the point of going beyond 4100 pixels or high PD when performance already suffers (personally use ~3200 to keep fps >45). There’re other things you can do to improve image quality. For example, exposure reduction to minimize shimmering, color correction to fix yellow tint, gamma change to reduce ground washout, sharpening to increase ground and distant detail, etc. 

No idea on the crosseye correction setting beyond the GUI range besides lua editing manually.  

I now seem to have issue with blurry texts and chromatic aberration with VB 3.6.1. This isn’t noticeable in DCS but pretty significant with web browsing especially with white texts on dark background, suffices to say that web browsing is no longer enjoyable on the Aero.  Switching back to 3.5.1 with the old distortion profile seems to fix this. 

Edited by Supmua

I've been switching between VB 3.5.1 and 3.6.1 and it's crazy how much sharper DCS appears with the 3.5.1.  After flying with 3.6.1 for the past few days, going back to 3.5.1 again with the old distortion profile completely blew me away.  At 3268x2800 pixels the image on DCS is crazy sharp with the older software, especially after manually setting crosseye correction tool (I increased R_out and L_out to 1.451 each and this basically upped the clarity further by quite a bit).  The shimmering is also much better than the new version, probably due to next to nothing chromatic aberration.  The clarity is so good that those tiny numbers on the small stopwatch dial to the left of the Harrier's cockpit is crystal clear, even just by glancing left and down.

YMMV, but with the 3.6.1 software I feel like my astigmatism and myopia which should've been corrected with lens inserts had come back and hit me twice as hard; and this is all resolved by going back to the 3.5.1 software.  This is with Steam's OpenVR mode testing, but the experience should be similar with OpenXR at least in my case.

Edited by Supmua

Don't know if it makes a difference but Varjo stated the IPD numbers in 3.6.1 are off a bit. They suggest increasing it by 3 over what it shows. Can't currently check it myself till my repair kit gets here. But I also always liked the updated distortion profile over the original one so there is that.

Edited by dburne

Don B

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Don't know if it makes a difference but Varjo stated the IPD numbers in 3.6.1 are off a bit. They suggest increasing it by 3 over what it shows. Can't currently check it myself till my repair kit gets here. But I also always liked the updated distortion profile over the original one so there is that.

Didn’t make any diff to me.  My IPD is 69 and I pretty much tried everything from 65-71 and chromatic aberration was still too prominent.  On the other hand, I have near zero CA with 3.5.1.  Now this could just be specific to my vision but there are quite a few owners from discord who also share the same opinion.  The downgrade in image quality is quite stark when doing back to back comparison using the headset as a regular monitor for web browsing.