How does TAF handle multiple targets

Rongor

Hey there,

regularly flying on MP servers, I love to make use of the Téléaffichage feature. Yet sometimes I wonder what to do in cases there are multiple targets.

So sometimes there are OPFOR helos in the area, but in other cases there are F-4 Phantom's coming for me. While it is generally not a problem to determine if the TAF offers a helo or a jet, by simply observing the target's velocity, as a Mirage I obviously see an F-4 as the higher threat. Yet in some cases, the TAF alerts me to go after a helo, while also an enemy jet is nearby, which is of course not desirable.

So, by which rules does the TAF decide which contact to send me? Apparently it is not threat based. Is it range or simply the order of appearance?

By which rule does the TAF sometimes switch targets, keeping that one for a minute and then suddenly switching forth (or back) to a different target, while the initial target is still alive?

Is there any way to let the TAF sort targets?
Is there any way to refresh the TAF reception in a way to cycle to a different threat?

Edited by Rongor

1 hour ago, Rongor said:

by which rules does the TAF decide which contact to send me? Apparently it is not threat based. Is it range or simply the order of appearance?

TL;DR:

Threat assessment is based on the predicted range from the reporting TAF station/airbase in the next 5 minutes.

Detail:

From Page 284 of the current manual "DCS World\Mods\aircraft\M-2000C\Doc\DCS M-2000C Flight Manual EN.pdf"

The target broadcasted by the CDC cannot be chosen and will be the same for all aircraft on a TAF channel. The broadcasted target will be the hostile aircraft that will be the closest to the CDC in 5 minutes.

RedKite made an excellent TAF video (@5:57) describing TAF's threat logic

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 3

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080