Mission 2 - Tanker Callsign and TACAN

I just did the Mission 2 and I must say I'm pleased. Lots of stuff going on, which I think makes sense. I like the length of the mission, I expect a somewhat lengthy like 1 h to 1:30 h Mission in a campaign. If I want to do shorter stuff, I jump into a quick mission. Might not be everybody's taste, but hey...

Problems I found:

Tanker is callsign Shell and TACAN 22X versus the Briefing Texaco and 22Y

That's about it. We talked already about the immersion killing Computer voice, but I think the dialogs and stuff can bring someone into the mood.

At the end there was a mess, airplanes falling out of the sky around the boat, by the dozens (I guess 3 including my wingmen) which I consider an ED AI thingy which can't be fixed by you.

Turned off wake turbulence after this mission, since that messes with the Tomcat burble at the moment, hope the mission won't override it.

Actually looking forward now to the next mission.

Edit:

Oh, maybe you could add another Map (bigger scale) into the kneeboard. The area map is fine for the mission but to figure out where all these planes are coming from, a bigger area would be better suited in my regards. I hate to look in F10 since that is, you guess right, another immersion killer.

I use a VR Kneeboard and have only your briefing for reference, so it's hard to get SA about the whole region (might be a problem with OpenKneeboard not loading the Theater Map - which would only make it my problem). I dont like the build in kneeboard, yeah you are right, that is again immersion killing for me 🤣

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 2

Thanks again for your feedback.

Mission length is a difficult compromise. Many players like realism but get bored with 1,5 hour CAP flight if it is not full of action. Some missions are quite long and there is no 1 hour dogfight for player. I have tried to create things to happen around even if not directly affecting player.

I'll check why Tanker name and TCN is not right. There is another tanker returning to the carrier and there might be confusion between them.

AI planes crashing is embarrassing and unfortunately as you said there is little I can do about it. Things like AI stucking on carrier deck or runway can be prevented by setting AI to dissapear before recovery or start already in air. That's ok if player won't know that. But unfortunately there is so many things changing AI behavior that after every game update new problems might arise and old ones might be solved. It is an immersion killer too when happening at the end of the mission but it can destroy whole mission if happening at the beginin. 

Lately there has been known problem with Hornets stalling if they must make steep turn like when approaching tanker. Then they keep stalling all the way to the ground. I hope it will be fixed soon.

It's not a problem to player an larger area map with briefing material. Problem is it should be zoomable to give any useful details. I'll look if I can find useful zoom level. In those old Tomcat days pilots had paper charts...

1 hour ago, Sandman Simulations said:

It's not a problem to player an larger area map with briefing material. Problem is it should be zoomable to give any useful details. I'll look if I can find useful zoom level.

I was thinking more down the line that you put a whole area map in the kneeboard, mark a square on it which will represent the zoomed in one, which is already in the kneeboard and which is fine for the presented mission relevant Infos. 

On 5/2/2022 at 5:42 PM, Sandman Simulations said:

I'll check why Tanker name and TCN is not right. There is another tanker returning to the carrier and there might be confusion between them.

Tanker name was wrong but TCN was set to 22Y as it was supposed. No idea how it could have shown something else.

Mission 3: Night Requalification

Is the game crashing for anyone else?  On the way back to the boat towards the end of the mission, I try to tune the radio to approach frequency and the game crashes.  Twice in a row this has happened.  Is it a mission script problem (mismatch), or a DCS issue?  It's not the first time tuning the radio has caused the game to crash for me.  Is it because I have SRS open in the background maybe?

EDIT:  Actually the game just crashed for the third time in a row, without tuning the radio.  Just as I passed over the carrier 🤔

Edited by JupiterJoe

18 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

Mission 2: Night Requalification

Is the game crashing for anyone else?  On the way back to the boat towards the end of the mission, I try to tune the radio to approach frequency and the game crashes.  Twice in a row this has happened.  Is it a mission script problem (mismatch), or a DCS issue?  It's not the first time tuning the radio has caused the game to crash for me.  Is it because I have SRS open in the background maybe?

EDIT:  Actually the game just crashed for the third time in a row, without tuning the radio.  Just as I passed over the carrier 🤔

I have not been able to reduplicate this crash problem. Does this happen to you with other missions or some other campaigns? Is it mission 2 or Night Requalification mission 3? If anyone else is having same problem pleas report. 

Apologies.  It's Mission 3: Night Requalification I'm having the issue with.  

The game locking-up when trying to use Jester comms has happened in the past with multi-player, but has been a lot better lately.  The first two times I had the game lock-up in Mission 3 I was attempting to use Jester Comms, but this last time I was just flying over the boat, at about 12000 feet.

Edited by JupiterJoe

22 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

Apologies.  It's Mission 3: Night Requalification I'm having the issue with.  

The game locking-up when trying to use Jester comms has happened in the past with multi-player, but has been a lot better lately.  The first two times I had the game lock-up in Mission 3 I was attempting to use Jester Comms, but this last time I was just flying over the boat, at about 12000 feet.

I will run more tests about this but at the moment I have no idea what could cause this.

My fourth attempt at getting through Mission 3: Night Requals.  In the holding pattern and waiting for my commencement slot.  Just minding my own business, not interacting with anything at this point and the game freezes.  No crash report dialogue box comes up.  No choice but to end task.  Perhaps I'm not triggering some mission event?  Last comms I had was to contact the boat on Channel 5 and press space when on the downwind.  I'm not having any issues with similar scenarios on MP or SP.  Just this Campaign.

image.png

Edited by JupiterJoe

3 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

My fourth attempt at getting through Mission 3: Night Requals.  In the holding pattern and waiting for my commencement slot.  Just minding my own business, not interacting with anything at this point and the game freezes.  No crash report dialogue box comes up.  No choice but to end task.  Perhaps I'm not triggering some mission event?  Last comms I had was to contact the boat on Channel 5 and press space when on the downwind.  I'm not having any issues with similar scenarios on MP or SP.  Just this Campaign.

image.png

I still haven't found anything from mission what could be reason for this behavior. This particular mission should not be very demanding for hardware and there is no complicated scripting. Only pure mission editor based stuff. But I'll keep searching

2 hours ago, draconus said:

@JupiterJoe at least provide dcs.log after the freeze.

Good idea Draconus.  Thank you.  Working on it...

...You're not going to believe this but I managed to complete the mission this time.  My suspicion is it's aircraft manoeuvring on the carrier, once they've landed that's causing the freeze.  Perhaps getting stuck on the elevator, or on the hangar deck.  Just a hunch.  I was watching them whilst I was in the holding pattern.  Anyway, here is the debrief log. for what it's worth:  

debrief.log

Edited by JupiterJoe

5 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

Good idea Draconus.  Thank you.  Working on it...

...You're not going to believe this but I managed to complete the mission this time.  My suspicion is it's aircraft manoeuvring on the carrier, once they've landed that's causing the freeze.  Perhaps getting stuck on the elevator, or on the hangar deck.  Just a hunch.  I was watching them whilst I was in the holding pattern.  Anyway, here is the debrief log. for what it's worth:  

debrief.log 77.63 kB · 1 download

Hi and thanks for the file. And nice to hear you have finally been able to pass the mission. Unfortunately I have no competence to interpret log-file to find the reason for freezing😵. I think there is list of units in the mission...

It's possible that AI stucking can cause problems but there must be something else too. I have seen AI stucking on cat, on deck, on elevator, colliding in hangars and tell me what but never that has caused freezing. 

• Thanks 1