Twist Throttle auto-decreases while Collective is Raised, when EngCtrlLevers are at max

Talvid

Hello, to whom it concerns,

please observe the twist grip throttle on the collective when it is raised, while the engine control levers are in the maximum up position.  I've attached a track file.  You'll see the throttle being twisted in the decrease direction while the collective is raised.  This doesn't occur when the engine control levers are in the standard (halfway- if you will) position, but when full aft/up the throttle is decreased, and you can even see it on the controls indicator-the purple bar at the top falls.  I checked, and nothing on my controls HOTAS or keyboard is mapped to the collective throttle, so it's not like my left throttle axis is moving it and I just unaware.  Is this abnormal?  

An_Mi8_throttledown_whilecollectiveup_onmaxctrllvr.trk

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

12 minutes ago, Iceman555 said:

Hello, to whom it concerns,

please observe the twist grip throttle on the collective when it is raised, while the engine control levers are in the maximum up position.  I've attached a track file.  You'll see the throttle being twisted in the decrease direction while the collective is raised.  This doesn't occur when the engine control levers are in the standard (halfway- if you will) position, but when full aft/up the throttle is decreased, and you can even see it on the controls indicator-the purple bar at the top falls.  I checked, and nothing on my controls HOTAS or keyboard is mapped to the collective throttle, so it's not like my left throttle axis is moving it and I just unaware.  Is this abnormal?  

An_Mi8_throttledown_whilecollectiveup_onmaxctrllvr.trk 290.31 kB · 0 downloads

It's correct behaviour.

Cheers! 

No, governor takes care of that. 

Technically, you are correct, you can trim the engines, but for simplicity sake, lets just say you roll throttle to fly position and leave it. And in the Mi8, it's twist grip, not ECLs.

Today, even at piston end of the spectrum, most helicopters are managed by engine governor. I do not know of single turbine powered helicopter that had/have manual control as normal mode of operations.

Edited by admiki
  • Like 1

IRL the ECLs are a backup mean of controlling engine power should the governor fail. They are left in the middle position during normal ops. Earlier versions of the Mi-8 with no automatic emergency power would have you pull one ECL lever up in case of an engine failure to ensure the working engine runs at takeoff power.

Edited by sLYFa
  • Like 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

It's already been said that this is correct behavior, but I will add that the reason is because of mechanical stops on the engines, you can only increase the throttle so much before you hit a mechanical stop on the engine. You cannot have full collective, full right twist-grip, and full up ECL at the same time.

The mechanical stops are at roughly 0 degrees and 120 degrees on the engine fuel control throttle control. Full up collective and full right on the twist-grip give you about 116-120 degrees...so not much leftover for moving the ECL up.

• Like 1