Dedicated Server on a second machine ?

Hi Guys, 

So I've been playing Liberation recently and I've set up a dedicated server on my own machine which works reasonably well. But I was wondering if I were to purchase a second machine with DCS server recommended specs, and use this as a dedicated server,  would I see a greater uplift in performance? Has anyone tried this? Thanks!

Edited by Heroman30

well what are your specs vs the reccomended server specs? but from what I gather if you have alot of memory 64gb or more on the PC you are hosting the dedicated server  and playing DCS on you should be fine especially if you have multiple cores..

I would imaging tho if you had a dedicated computer for the dedicated server that had the reccomended specs that would be the optimal solution. as long as your current PC has 64gb or more ram and 6 or more cores you should also do well..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

8 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

well what are your specs vs the reccomended server specs? but from what I gather if you have alot of memory 64gb or more on the PC you are hosting the dedicated server  and playing DCS on you should be fine especially if you have multiple cores..

I would imaging tho if you had a dedicated computer for the dedicated server that had the reccomended specs that would be the optimal solution. as long as your current PC has 64gb or more ram and 6 or more cores you should also do well..

My current systems is RTX 3080 FE, 5600x , 32GB RAM (64 is ordered).

And I'm thinking about purchasing a refurb workstation to act as a dedicated server: Intel Core i5-4590S @ 3.0 ghz, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM

11 minutes ago, Heroman30 said:

so would the refurb workstation work well?

Not sure about that particular one. CPU is from 2014. 8 years old. 4-5 years old would work for sure.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/80815/intel-core-i54590-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz/specifications.html

I do have an Intel nuc with i7 cpu from 2015, with Linux OS.  https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/87570/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i7ryh.html

In theory I could try to install the DCS via Steam (later in the evening) and try to force into server mode with command line options, but I hope someone running the server with 2014/2015 CPU could help here?

Edited by okopanja

22 minutes ago, okopanja said:

Not sure about that particular one. CPU is from 2014. 8 years old. 4-5 years old would work for sure.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/80815/intel-core-i54590-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz/specifications.html

I do have an Intel nuc with i7 cpu from 2015, with Linux OS.  https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/87570/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i7ryh.html

In theory I could try to install the DCS via Steam (later in the evening) and try to force into server mode with command line options, but I hope someone running the server with 2014/2015 CPU could help here?

Does it not meet the recommend specs for running a server? OS 64-bit Windows 10; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 100 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Integrated video card; 

Well, I tried Liberation yesterday and ended up with 48 of 64GB in use.

...and I was only watching in F2-F10, not even flying myself anything.

Take those 64 and make 96 or 128GB out of it if you want to run Liberation at it's max on the same rig you also play at. With 64GB you will end up swapping heavily with the right mission

*I can see us crying for 128GB before the year is over...LoL

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I have dedicated a small desktop workstation (dell optiplex 7040) to the sole purpose of running Through The Inferno server.

It works quite well and spare some computing power to my gaming PC which is running VR. I haven't done any benchmarks, but it certainly helps. Especially on complex missions.

My friends can join the server as well using my public IP. Even If my gaming PC crashes or needs rebooting, the server is still running the mission in background and we can reconnect whenever we want. Having my own private DCS server is  cool and a refurbished dell optiplex 7040 is quite cheap.

Hello,

I also run a Dedicated DCSserver on a second PC. I already had this second machine, which a use most with civil sims (x-plane e.g.) for weather creation or navigation apps. Some time ago I gave it a try and setup a DCS Server.

Task is to save some ressources on my Client DCS PC. I’ll fly in VR and I think the more ressources you have in VR on your machine, the better it is. It works well. It works better the more complex the missions with lots of AI are.

It is definitely better than running the missions in Single Player on the Client.

I can‘t compare it to a Server / Client solution running on a single machine. I have never tested this.

So I can‘t say which server variant a) Server / Client on different PC‘s or b) Server / Client on the same machine is better.

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1