JDAM TOO Targeting

Habu_69
Go to solution Solved by Tholozor,

After several hours of repetitive procedures testing I devised the following mechanics for targeting JDAMs in TOO mode with the TGP and HSI WPDSG.

• Set up the jet for AG mode and activate TGP.
  • Set up JDAMs normally and set TOO mode
  • Set HSI to target WP.
  • Press HSI WPDSG OSB. TGP display goes to WP
  • SOI to TGP right DDI
  • UNDESIGNATE TGP cursor
  • Quickly SCS right to ground stabilize cursor in SCENE track.
  • Slew SCENE track cursor to target
  • SOI to TGP. UNDESIGNATE.
  • SCS right sets target coordinates to JDAM TOO mode
  • Pickle when IN ZONE.

I realize this in a lot of button pushing, but it is the most efficient procedure I could find. YMMV. IMO being able to refine JDAM target acquisition near a WP is a very useful tool.

Edited by Habu_69

• Solution

Try this:

• AG mode, FLIR on.
  • JDAM select, arm EFUZ, switch to TOO.
  • WPDSG target waypoint.
  • Assign TDC to FLIR.
  • TDC Depress on FLIR to drive TGT designation.
  • Slew to target.
  • TDC Depress to write coordinates to JDAM.
  • Pickle IN ZONE.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Interesting, because using ATFLIR I find I must UNDESIGNATE cursor then SCS-right to stabilize cursor in SCENE track to enable slewing to target. Then UNDESIGNATE and SCS-right again to set new coordinates in weapon. After WPDSG, TDC DEPRESS does nothing.

13 minutes ago, Habu_69 said:

Interesting, because using ATFLIR I find I must UNDESIGNATE cursor then SCS-right to stabilize cursor in SCENE track to enable slewing to target. Then UNDESIGNATE and SCS-right again to set new coordinates in weapon. After WPDSG, TDC DEPRESS does nothing.

Yeah another long standing bug, the ATFLIR gets 'stuck' on the designation and then switching to SCENE will make it drift like crazy

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• ED Team

This is correct as is, Tholozor mentions above how to use TOO correctly.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

This is correct as is, Tholozor mentions above how to use TOO correctly.

I am not trying to be a butthead and I do not dispute that the targeting mechanics are working correctly, I am just curious why Tholozor's experience seems to be different from mine. When in WPDSG and I UNDESIGNATE, the TGP cursor snowplows; and in order to slew to a target I must SCS-right to ground stabilize (in SCENE track), then UNDESIGNATE and SCS-right again to update the weapon coordinates to new cursor position. Guess I will end this discussion since I have a procedure that works for me. Appreciate everyone's input.

• ED Team

Have you tried to use TDC depress? 

Please include a short track replay example. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

At the risk of being labeled a dumb-ass I will admit my error with sincere contrition. I decided to double-check everything that could possibly be causing my targeting issues and discovered at last that the HOTAS button I had once assigned to TDC DEPRESS was in fact NOT assigned correctly. Now, I have been flying Hornet since its OB release and have no idea when that gremlin creeped into my controls assignments.

All is well. Appreciate all the assistance and apologize for wasting everyone's time. Habu out.