AIM-120 is broken for months (since late 2021), and no update since then.

Archer.xd

My video pretty much explains my and many other people's frustration.
AMRAAMs are broken. There is also other missiles broken, but AMRAAM is worst imo.

If someone tries to tell me its working good, please watch the video or tracks beforehand. And if u insist on telling that, please leave the thread.

AMRAAM guidance logic has been broken since the INS update that came in late 2021. ED then said it is a new wip model :

+ It is broken. Definitely not working properly and you don't need many people to test it. Can be seen in 1 min of gameplay.
          - It's a wip feature. Thats why open beta exists
          + You released this to stable as well?
          - It's WiP and team is aware. More updates to come
This what's been going on for months.

I've made 3 quick tests.
   1- Notching WITHOUT RWR.
       RWR was turned off, no datalink or radar contact, no labels. This one was for people who think RWR is to blame.
       Yes, RWR in DCS might be too perfect, agreed. But this is not the reason 120C-5 being too easy to notch. See my tracks and video for this. You don't need the precise bearing indication that your RWR gives you. In fact, you don't even need an RWR.

2- Notching with RWR, low altitude, hot aspect, flat terrain and short range.
        Pretty much explained this already. No terrain to hide behind or break LoS. Just an easy notch inside 5nm.

3- Notching with RWR, high altitude, hot aspect, and short range.
        This one was for people always saying it misses because of altitude. Here you go. 30K MSL, 8nm shot and an easy notch.

I haven't been enjoying the time I spent in DCS for months, and that was a reson I gave a break and only playing for competitive matches. Everything buggy, everything is broken and I can't see anything changing. I was a supporter of ED for years, and still want the best for both ED and us. If nothing is going to change, there is no point of spending another penny for anything from DCS.

Do something that makes sense. Give us a roadmap or state report about what's going on. Said before in another thread, repeating this :
It was fine back in time. At least revert to late-2020 missiles if its possible. They were decent enough to enjoy. Meanwhile, devs could work on new missiles and if you need testing, theres many people would like to join CB and test it. But if you want to test something that is not worth to play, please do it in CB.

Dropping my tracks and video (of tracks, for lazy people who do not want to dl the tracks and watch it in game)

Archer out. As always, Im hoping for changes. And reminder : This is not a rant or insult to ED. As a customer, this is my critisism about something I've paid for, while wanting the best for ED and myself.

lowalt NO RWR notch.trk lowalt notch.trk highalt notch.trk

• Like 36
  • Thanks 12

Grea job! I think the time when the players lose their patience about the state of missiles has came.

Edited by marcoscosta
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Computer: Potato

Modules: FC3 | M2000C | A/V8B | Viggen | F-5E | F-14B | F-16C | F/A-18 | A-10C | Supercarrier :mad::mad: | UH-1 | MI-8 | Gazelle | KA-50

In addition to notching what I've also noticed is that radar guided missiles in DCS (more than just the AIM-120) are often defeated merely by maneuvering at all. Break turn, or split S/emmelman and the incoming missile is immediately defeated.

• Like 8

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Agreed with all the points your making Archer.

In addition to that i hope that they will give us some news soon regarding the future of the 120. 
If we really want to see PvP Improve there will be more things to improve and add than just fixing the missiles.

PatatOorlog

• Like 6

Thank you Archer for your efforts! It's exactly what has been bothering all of us and it is what many of us have been trying to say or have stated elsewhere on the forum or in Discord before...

Using the 120C regularly or in competitive to be exact, I often observed it doing "weird" or "unexpected" things when shot between 10 or 15nm in a way that it corrects target-movement or aspect change a bit too much and loses track on half the way or its being notched by that max G turnaround. That always feels a bit off and its obviously very frustrating. Im sorry that I cannot provide tacviews or evidence for that right now, but its something many have observed if you were to ask them. (I edited this part as I wasnt happy with how it turned out when reading it back a couple times and I dont want people to misunderstand me)

I fully agree with you that a roadmap would be lovely to have and that theres huge potential in testing things in CB. I just feel like I dont know what is going on except that I know something is being changed...
Thanks again Archer, I hope this gets the attention that it needs.

(I edited this reply a few times, because it read a bit worse than I wanted it to be, please excuse me)

Edited by Asphelite
  • Like 3

Thank you all for the support and the comments. In the meantime I'd like to point out this for the good of everyone :

This thread is for AIM-120 being broken. Meaning any kind of comparison of it with other missiles, discussing other bugs of other missiles or systems and arguing it's how it should be is totally irrelevant to topic.
So, please do not go off-topic. Moderators will lock the thread if it goes too off-topic, and that is not something we'd like. We need threads like this to live long and close if things actually get fixed.  
Note to forum moderators and ED about this -> DO NOT close or move this thread, until it gets actually fixed and verified as so. It is a bug report with tracks. If this gets locked, I'll not get tired of creating new ones.

Another thing. I know many of us are frustrated, and know that I am as frustrated as you. But, if we break forum rules, it'll be a reason for moderators to bring this thread down. So please do not do that. Critisise the product, harshly if you want, but within the rules.
If you disagree with whats being said here, and you think missiles are fine, please go and create your thread to debate it there. It does not cost money or anything else and would free us from unnecessary waste of time, as it has been discussed numerous times before.

And again, I am inviting all competitive players to send tracks here, or on new threads. I will also post some more tracks with different launch conditions and will post the .miz to here for anyone else wants to give it a try.

Edited by vtaf_archer
addition
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 8

Another 5 tracks from me. This time focused on just manuevering instead of notching, but AMRAAM wants to be notched anyway 😄

1- 5.5nm shot at 15k MSL, co altitude. No notch, ecm or draining its energy. Only chaffing and turning. I think we can all agree such range was pretty lethal with old amraams.
2- Diving against a low-to-high launch with 4k alt seperation. 4.81nm Not leading it into the ground or using chaff.
3- Another dive against lo-high, 3k alt seperation, 4.64nm. Using chaff.
4- 15k MSL co altitude, 5.5nm shot. Dive with chaff.
5- Can't remember exact parameters but some dive stuff again. Similar to 3rd.

Hot aspect in all tests, and AMRAAM always had plenty of energy to be able to manuever and hit. Leaving the tracks :

lo-hi dive no chaff.trk dive 3.trk dive 2.trk mid alt - chaff + turn.trk mid alt - dive + chaff.trk

• Like 7
  • Thanks 11

They have to fix this weapon at last and not damage it all the time, I remember for many years this weapon changed many times. Such an advanced weapon can not fail from 6nm. It had to be almost impossible to escape from such a weapon at a distance of 6nm. Come on ED! You can do it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nemesis HAW

5 hours ago, -NMS- Aeolus3 said:

They have to fix this weapon at last and not damage it all the time, I remember for many years this weapon changed many times. Such an advanced weapon can not fail from 6nm. It had to be almost impossible to escape from such a weapon at a distance of 6nm. Come on ED! You can do it!

6nm? Lol... Try 3.5nm...

Captura de tela 2022-05-07 214418.png

Captura de tela 2022-05-07 214450.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Computer: Potato

Modules: FC3 | M2000C | A/V8B | Viggen | F-5E | F-14B | F-16C | F/A-18 | A-10C | Supercarrier :mad::mad: | UH-1 | MI-8 | Gazelle | KA-50

So any news? Because such rotten amrams in F18 don't make you want to fly this plane.

It's abusing the number of missiles that never hit their target in no escape zone. And the average shooting distance is ridiculous. 

"The AIM-120A and the AIM-120B are equipped with a solid fuel rocket engine allowing them to reach the range of  40 nm and the speed of Mach 4. The AIM-120C as for him, has an engine bigger to reach  59 nm. Little information is available on this engine, whose official name is WPU-6/B for the AIM-120A/B versions and WPU-16/B for the AIM-120C."

Edited by Karman
  • Like 1

• ED Team

As the topic says it is reported and the team will investigate. When we have news we will share it or a fix / tweak will be added to change logs if ready. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2