MiG-29S(As well as A/G) unusable/very difficult to use for FARP ops despite the real aircraft being specifically designed for rough field?(TRK and video's included)

The MiG-29S(As well as A/G) is unusable/very difficult to use for FARP ops despite the real aircraft being specifically designed for rough field and road FARP ops due to the fact that for some reason it gets stuck in the grass taxiing so badly it can take up to a minute in burner to get unstuck.
Not to mention how insanely dangerous it makes getting unstuck to the point it goes flying forward and can easily flip and get damaged or explode

The only grass it can avoid getting stuck on is active airfield grass.

Im aware this is the case for several other aircraft that should be capable of at least being able to taxi from grass onto a road to use as a FARP aircraft, but i don't fly them so im doing this for what im able to.

Im attaching TRK files and youtube videos of said issues.

rwygrasstoandldg.trk stuckingrass.trk

• Like 1

That's the export variant, and also there's proof out there of them operating from grass, dirt runways, and roads.
They can taxi on unprepped grass to use roads or compacted dirt as a runway 
Its why they have intake guards

Edited by Kunze13

DCS grass is harsh sometimes, however from my personal expirience:

• As long as you do not stop in high grass you will not get stuck (true for any module)
  • There are patches of low grass everywhere. If you stop on them you will be able to move
  • In general do not expect to take off from grass, use roads without light poles or powerlines. You can switch to SAT view on F10 and see those details.
  • Landing on grass is always possible  provided that it is flat and that you properly control azimuth, speed, AoA, descent rate and height. If you bust the gear or whole aircraft you need to be more careful.

I have seen Su-25 taking off from surprisingly high grass as well as IL-76 takeoff/landing on neatly maintained grass along runway( one of those scenes of disbelief) .

Most of the operators do not use grass. Some did use farp ops irl, but as far as I know only paved roads were in use.

Edited by okopanja

15 hours ago, Kunze13 said:

I think you're missing the point... this is a report of an aircraft not behaving correctly, it shouldn't be getting stuck in grass mere feet from a road that's fully usable as an airstrip

No one is missing the point. The fact is that the ground structure on the Caucasus map is inconsistent. That's the issue, not the aircraft. In some places you can roll easily. In others you can't. The same is true of the airbases. At some airbases you can off road, while at others you will get stuck if you move onto the grass. The attached mission file was a random location pick. I do wish, however, that ED would give us a way to firm up patches of ground in the ME for these types of sorties. EDIT: That would be most helpful for a number of reasons. 🙂

MiG-29 Roadside Test.miz

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

19 hours ago, Kunze13 said:

aircraft not behaving correctly, it shouldn't be getting stuck in grass mere feet from a road that's fully usable as an airstrip

Meanwhile tanks and 4x4 gets stuck in the mud IRL but huge aircraft shouldn't?

The grass you see in the videos about MiG-29 or Su-25 are dry prepared patches not some random meadow by the road.

Avoid grass. Do a quick turn around if you must over the grass and get back on the solid surface.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Meanwhile tanks and 4x4 gets stuck in the mud IRL but huge aircraft shouldn't?

The grass you see in the videos about MiG-29 or Su-25 are dry prepared patches not some random meadow by the road.

Avoid grass. Do a quick turn around if you must over the grass and get back on the solid surface.

Yet the F18 and SU27 can taxi on grass near roads? 
And im not talking about the middle of some field, you can clearly see in the first video that im right next to the road, im not talking about taking off from the grass, im talking about taxing 10-20m from grass onto a road without using burner, which for some reason the SU-27 can do with a full A/A loadout despite having far narrower wheels with a T/O weight exceeding 30 tonnes vs the MiG-29 with wider wheels and a wide wheeled double gear on the front gets stuck needing burner to get unstuck at under 18 tonnes? 28 tonnes lighter than the T-90 which comes in at 46 tonnes.

8 hours ago, Ironhand said:

No one is missing the point. The fact is that the ground structure on the Caucasus map is inconsistent. That's the issue, not the aircraft. In some places you can roll easily. In others you can't. The same is true of the airbases. At some airbases you can off road, while at others you will get stuck if you move onto the grass. The attached mission file was a random location pick. I do wish, however, that ED would give us a way to firm up patches of ground in the ME for these types of sorties. EDIT: That would be most helpful for a number of reasons. 🙂

MiG-29 Roadside Test.miz 7.63 kB · 0 downloads

That should definitely be a feature, would make MP more interesting to have the ability to create FARP airfields that some fighter and ground attackers can use to make it harder for people to find and attack spawns

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kunze13 said:

...im talking about taxing 10-20m from grass onto a road without using burner, which for some reason the SU-27 can do with a full A/A loadout...

Not in the location you selected for your MiG-29, it can't.

EDIT: That came out sounding a bit harsh. I think you may have been talking about the Su-27 in general. And, yes, it is generally more forgiving off roading than either the MiG-29 or Su-25 are.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, Ironhand said:

Not in the location you selected for your MiG-29, it can't.

EDIT: That came out sounding a bit harsh. I think you may have been talking about the Su-27 in general. And, yes, it is generally more forgiving off roading than either the MiG-29 or Su-25 are.

The issue with the 27 that i  see is it being made more forgiving off road in dcs despite weighing considerably more with much smaller gear wheels

35 minutes ago, okopanja said:

Flanker has larger wheel distance, which means greater stability when hiting bumps. With 25/29 you have to level very very precisely.

Im referring to its ability to avoid getting stuck, which with a smaller single front wheel doesn't make much sense to be less likely to get stuck than the wide double front

1 hour ago, Kunze13 said:

Im referring to its ability to avoid getting stuck, which with a smaller single front wheel doesn't make much sense to be less likely to get stuck than the wide double front

ok, but flanker also can get stuck. In winter season this is a non issue. You have to make sure you do not stop in high grass. Very often there are patches of low grass, and if you stop there you should be fine.

EDIT: ah, I know why: you do not see the grass, I fly at high details and a I can see the difference.

Edited by okopanja

2 hours ago, okopanja said:

…You have to make sure you do not stop in high grass…

Sometime that is true, while at other times not. And the “not” occurs frequently enough for me to think that it’s not what determines it. There are places where the taller wheat colored “grass” presents no problem as well. And yesterday I found an area with short grass that did not work unless you were close to a telephone pole.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Got a link to the evidence you mentioned? 
if it’s sensitive, please provide to One of the mods directly

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, NineLine said:

Has anyone tested vs say the Viggen or A-10C? If you guys feel the MiG-29 isnt operating like these and should, let me know and I will run it by the team. Thanks

I just tested once quickly with the A-10CII and, in a spot where the MiG-29S rolled easily, the A-10C wouldn't move. What you get in the sim seems to be both a/c and location specific down to a few meters. I've attached a mission file I was developing with a number of locations where the MiG-29 rolls with relative ease. Most are along roads. Some are in fields. For anyone interested, a flight identified as "CAP" will begin to roll easily. A flight identified as "Intercept" will require about 90-95% throttle before you will roll.

NineLine, please open the file in the ME and, using the units list, check the locations of Aerial-43 and Aerial-43A. I placed -43A as an example this morning. They are next to each other along the road between Marneuli and the volcanic cones to the west. -43 will roll easily. -43A will not roll. This is what people are finding so frustrating. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which ground is "firm" and which is not. Additionally, once you are rolling and stop (off road), you usually cannot start rolling again.

MiG-29 Roadside Test 2.miz

_____

• ED Team

Yeah I was doing some off roading last night after looking at this, one issue is we are waiting on terrain updates for different surfaces, or more exact more different surfaces. Right now we have limited surfaces, so you get these inconsistencies, we want to see it where weather affects the ground, etc. For example, on a dry day maybe you can get away with going through a grass area, but heavy rains, no way. So this is requested. 

All that said, I will see if there is anything we can do to make it a little better, and I will check out your mission as well.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

32 minutes ago, NineLine said:

Yeah I was doing some off roading last night after looking at this, one issue is we are waiting on terrain updates for different surfaces, or more exact more different surfaces. Right now we have limited surfaces, so you get these inconsistencies, we want to see it where weather affects the ground, etc. For example, on a dry day maybe you can get away with going through a grass area, but heavy rains, no way. So this is requested. 

All that said, I will see if there is anything we can do to make it a little better, and I will check out your mission as well.

Thanks. It's very quirky. You can be fine in one spot and stuck just a meter to either side. In some places on the map (Caucasus), it seems you are stuck if between two power poles along the road, while you can move just fine, if you are close enough to almost touch one. I'm pretty sure there are some that are placed close to roadside poles on the mission map. That's the reason.

Edited by Ironhand

_____