Using VAICOM with multiple installs of DCS?

Dangerzone

Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to use VAICOM with multiple installations of DCS?

The problem I'm currently facing is that VAICOM works with my default install (c:\games\userfiles\user\dcs), but when I run other DCS versions that have a different path (ie c:\games\userfiles\user\dcs.mods) it ends up misbehaving (brings up the menu automatically over and over again, and in general doesn't work).

Both these installs are currently stable release, so I don't believe it has anything to do with switching between stable and openbeta.

Is there a trick to getting this to work with multiple installs?

TIA

Hi,
Just wondering if it's possible to use VAICOM with multiple installations of DCS?
The problem I'm currently facing is that VAICOM works with my default install (c:\games\userfiles\user\dcs), but when I run other DCS versions that have a different path (ie c:\games\userfiles\user\dcs.mods) it ends up misbehaving (brings up the menu automatically over and over again, and in general doesn't work).
Both these installs are currently stable release, so I don't believe it has anything to do with switching between stable and openbeta.
Is there a trick to getting this to work with multiple installs?
TIA

I have no issues with using VAICOM with not Standalone Stable and OB, and solve this by having the sliders in the control panel to Standalone and OpenBeta.
Not sure if VAICOM supports more installations though. Is there any reason for you having a clean installation and one with mods, instead of one install handling your mods with a mod manager?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I have no issues with using VAICOM with not Standalone Stable and OB, and solve this by having the sliders in the control panel to Standalone and OpenBeta.
Not sure if VAICOM supports more installations though. Is there any reason for you having a clean installation and one with mods, instead of one install handling your mods with a mod manager?

Hi Maxsenna,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the slider button, but not quite sure exactly what it does. Maybe I can utilise this somehow. Is there any possibility I can use this for the two installs? (ie, how does it know where beta is vs the stable release installs, and can I use that to have a second 'open beta' install that's really a stable release)?

I do already have a mod manager, but I have two installs not just for mods but also quite different configurations as well and switch between the two often. 

If it can't be done with VAICOM it's more important that I know and stop trying, otherwise if it is possible I'd love to know how I can use this (even if it's just using the slider to OpenBeta and calling my 2nd install OB even though it's another copy of a stable release).

Thanks

DZ

36 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

Hi Maxsenna,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the slider button, but not quite sure exactly what it does. Maybe I can utilise this somehow. Is there any possibility I can use this for the two installs? (ie, how does it know where beta is vs the stable release installs, and can I use that to have a second 'open beta' install that's really a stable release)?

I do already have a mod manager, but I have two installs not just for mods but also quite different configurations as well and switch between the two often. 

If it can't be done with VAICOM it's more important that I know and stop trying, otherwise if it is possible I'd love to know how I can use this (even if it's just using the slider to OpenBeta and calling my 2nd install OB even though it's another copy of a stable release).

Thanks

DZ

According to the user manual, VAICOM installs different lua mods for each version. So it's unlikely that using the OB setting as a pointer to a second stable copy will work using the automatic installation methods. If you did that, VAICOM probably would install the OB mods onto your stable installation, and who knows what the result would be.

However I'm pretty sure you can solve this problem using the manual lua installation method. Be warned that this is tedious, there are numerous ways to screw that up, and you will need to redo it periodically after a DCS repair or update. To use this method you would not use the "custom DCS path" option and instead check the "Manage DCS-side Files manually" option. And then you need to export some files from VAICOM and do a variety of lua file edits manually. See the section in the user manual entitled "Managing DCS-side (lua) files manually."

• Thanks 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

@Dangerzone
Hi, like @sthompson suggest, I think you might need to do a manual installatiob of VAICOM. But are you using the dcs_variant.txt for your second install?
You might be able to add som registry settings to trick VAICOM if you have the time to check.

EDIT: Yes, you can use the dcs_variant.txt text to call your second install OpenBeta, and probably trick VAICOM into believing it is.

• Like 1