Looking for installation advice

First off, I've gotten the impression that the "beta" version is the one most used online, is that true?

I've got DCS on Steam, from when I got the P-51 iirc, but a lot of modules not available on Steam, so was planning on only installing the version from DCS on a new computer, but the download is very slow.

If I download it from Steam, would it be faster, and would I be able to add other modules to that or would I have to download the one from DCS as well?

I'm getting around 300 Kb/s at the moment...   (gonna take forever)

Have they considered selling it on a pin drive they could mail?   (or is there a way to do that now?)

"I mean like, so many Positive Waves, maybe we can't lose!!"  

On 5/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, Oddball52 said:

First off, I've gotten the impression that the "beta" version is the one most used online, is that true?

Yes

Can't answer your other question because i don't have anything Steam related.
What i do know is that once you have the standalone version, you can make a copy (like for a second install, being it the stable version or one in which you install mods or try some other stuff) and update that copy to the version you want.

And if you want to make your life easy: just use Skatezilla's updater/launcher:

Also, everything Steam related is to be found here: 
https://forum.dcs.world/forum/284-steam-support/

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

@Oddball52 I'm not a Steam user either, but here's my 2 cents:

Standalone version from ED site has its advantages over Steam (for example it allows you to participate in two-weeks free trial program for any module - no such thing on Steam), but in some parts of the world, it's indeed slower to download/update. Whether that's the case in your location, or you just have a slow connection anyway (Steam or not) we couldn't know. Try installing just barebones DCS World package from both sources and see which downloads faster.

I believe most (if not all) modules are available via Steam as well, they just get released somewhat later compared to standalone version.

Another note - licences purchased on Steam can be used in standalone install, but NOT the other way around.

There's no physical distribution of DCS products (nor could there be, realistically, because DCS with all modules installed is a 300+ GB product and there are no pendrives that big yet 😉 ).

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I went from the stable version to open beta strictly for the multiplayer side of things.

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8