How to set SCAS for hover

dresoccer4

So I can get the SCAS to work well upon initial hover. After trimming the rudder a small bit to the left and then lifting a few feet above the ground, the SCAS will use its rudder authority to keep a perfect heading (within the grey box of its limits).

However the issue comes into play when I want to change heading while still in a hover. I'll apply a little right rudder to turn to my new heading and then release it back to it's trimmed state. But the SCAS, instead of them attempting to hold that new heading, doesn't seem to do anything and I begin to spin constantly.

How do you get the SCAS to hold a new heading? Thanks!

image.png

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

4 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

Retrim 

sorry not sure I made it clear in my post. it's already trimmed out. 

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

8 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

However the issue comes into play when I want to change heading while still in a hover. I'll apply a little right rudder to turn to my new heading and then release it back to it's trimmed state. But the SCAS, instead of them attempting to hold that new heading, doesn't seem to do anything and I begin to spin constantly.

Seems to work on my end. I don't have pedals though and use a throttle hat (L/R) instead. Just to check, when you release your pedals, does the white diamond in the controls indicator for your rudder go back to the previous trimmed position? (In my case I have to move my L/R hat deliberately as the diamond always stays where I last moved it, meaning it 'trims' itself, unlike the cyclic stick.)

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

9 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

sorry not sure I made it clear in my post. it's already trimmed out. 

Retrim will reactivate heading hold. I have not been able to have it reactivate as I expect it but the scas is wip especially the hold modes. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Seems to work on my end. I don't have pedals though and use a throttle hat (L/R) instead. Just to check, when you release your pedals, does the white diamond in the controls indicator for your rudder go back to the previous trimmed position? (In my case I have to move my L/R hat deliberately as the diamond always stays where I last moved it, meaning it 'trims' itself, unlike the cyclic stick.)

i don't have pedals either, i just use my joystick twist function. and yep the rudder goes right back to the trim position. if you check out the screenshot I posted, this is after releasing my twist joystick and re-trimming, but the helicopter continues to spin. 

as you can see my rudder is in the trimmed position, and the SCAS is also in the trim position (instead of trying to hold my heading). 

When I first take off, the green SCAS cross will move left or right to hold my heading. After changing headings and retrimming, the green SCAS cross sits still on my trimmed position (which is what the screenshot is showing) causing the helicopter to spin *shrug*

Edited by dresoccer4

UPDATE: kept on trying it, and now I've noticed it does indeed work as described sometimes, but other times it works normally. it seems like sometimes the SCAS kicks in and sometimes it doesn't. I'm now sure why 

UPDATE 2: so I turned off the YAW SCAS and now she flys like a charm! so much easier to control. she reacts the way you'd expect her to. anyone else tried this?

11 minutes ago, jnr4817 said:

No, but I will, just for giggles.

Heading mode can be found where?

AFAIK, Attitude mode is the only one available at this time?

it flies more like the Huey when YAW SCAS is turned off, in my opinion. 

so as far as I'm able to understand the system, the heading hold mode is always active if the YAW SCAS is on and you trim. but it's not been working great for me so I'm not sure. 

45 minutes ago, jnr4817 said:

No, but I will, just for giggles.

Heading mode can be found where?

AFAIK, Attitude mode is the only one available at this time?

They're experimenting with velocity hold per the latest update, heading hold automatically engages when the aircraft is appropriately trimmed for the conditions is the easiest way to say it. 

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

it flies more like the Huey when YAW SCAS is turned off, in my opinion. 

so as far as I'm able to understand the system, the heading hold mode is always active if the YAW SCAS is on and you trim. but it's not been working great for me so I'm not sure. 

So, just played with it, I'm able to get heading hold to reengage without retrimming, so once you have everything set, start your turn by applying pressure, the apply a little pressure opposing the turn and relax and see if it reengages for you. I can provide a track of my inputs if that helps 

Haven't really messed with it since the update apologies for the poor information initially 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

So, just played with it, I'm able to get heading hold to reengage without retrimming, so once you have everything set, start your turn by applying pressure, the apply a little pressure opposing the turn and relax and see if it reengages for you. I can provide a track of my inputs if that helps 

Haven't really messed with it since the update apologies for the poor information initially 

see mine does that sometimes but other times the SCAS will NOT reengage after applying rudder pressure. maybe i can get a track. but if you look at my screenshot in the OP, i'm currently spinning there, and the SCAS YAW indicator is neutral (instead of trying to stop my spin)

15 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

see mine does that sometimes but other times the SCAS will NOT reengage after applying rudder pressure. maybe i can get a track. but if you look at my screenshot in the OP, i'm currently spinning there, and the SCAS YAW indicator is neutral (instead of trying to stop my spin)

sometimes you gotta tap it back and forth back to the neutral position, do you have a deadzone? If it detects it pushed out past the breakout it won't reengage 

What is this SCAS you guys are referring to - the ATT hold?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

11 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

sometimes you gotta tap it back and forth back to the neutral position, do you have a deadzone? If it detects it pushed out past the breakout it won't reengage 

What if you are using non-recentering hardware and checked those options in the special menu, use without centering spring. Will the scas kick back on automatically without hacing to move or give inputs.

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

1 minute ago, dburne said:

What is this SCAS you guys are referring to - the ATT hold?

no, just the default ROLL, PITCH, and YAW computer assists (the green icons in the screenshot)

5 minutes ago, jnr4817 said:

What if you are using non-recentering hardware and checked those options in the special menu, use without centering spring. Will the scas kick back on automatically without hacing to move or give inputs.

The way the system works is by breakout values, so you would have to re trim so the game/program understands your pedals are at the new "center" position. This should only affect your heading hold, the rest of the sas functions will remain in operation. Unless they tweak it in software for your specific use case, you would need the x to match your pedal inputs, and when you start your turn you would have to remember where that new neutral position is. However, I'm assuming without springs you don't necessarily worry about heading hold unless you're specifically retrimming.  If you do I don't know maybe they have something to bridge the gap for a person like yourself and the logic of what they're trying to recreate. 

to be clear this is referencing the heading hold only, not the overall stability system. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

no, just the default ROLL, PITCH, and YAW computer assists (the green icons in the screenshot)

Ok thanks much.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, kgillers3 said:

The way the system works is by breakout values, so you would have to re trim so the game/program understands your pedals are at the new "center" position. This should only affect your heading hold, the rest of the sas functions will remain in operation. Unless they tweak it in software for your specific use case, you would need the x to match your pedal inputs, and when you start your turn you would have to remember where that new neutral position is. However, I'm assuming without springs you don't necessarily worry about heading hold unless you're specifically retrimming.  If you do I don't know maybe they have something to bridge the gap for a person like yourself and the logic of what they're trying to recreate. 

to be clear this is referencing the heading hold only, not the overall stability system. 

That was really helpful, thanks!

SME Content Creators: It would be great to have a "The Dummies Guide to Understanding and Making the SCAS Work for You" 🙂 

I'm finding figuring it out like putting together a puzzle with made up mostly of pieces of wisdom dropped in various forums and discords etc. by SME's . I just found TM 1-1520-251-10 has a discussion on the SCAS in pages 95-99, so hope that fills out the understanding more.

• Like 2

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Bearfoot said:

It would be great to have a "The Dummies Guide to Understanding and Making the SCAS Work for You"

Hopefully an update to the Quick Start manual will include a detailed description of such a topic.

• Like 3

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

14 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Hopefully an update to the Quick Start manual will include a detailed description of such a topic.

No doubt!

After reading the referenced manual section above, I think I now see how the "philosophy" of the system is quite different from how I imagined it. The figure is also useful in showing what submodes kick in at different speed/altitude combinations. 

3 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

HDGHoldExperiment.trk First, no re trim just releasing the pedals, as you can see it's beyond the ability of the system to hold that heading from cruise trim to hover trim, next retrim for hover, changing power settings with no pedal inputs, pedal turn right while sliding right, arrest slide, pedal turn right, slide left, I think here it didn't want to re activate all I did was pressure counter to the turn. Towards the end of this, I press and hold force trim release and you can see heading hold kick off with a slow right turn with my current pedal input.  Towards the end I relocate to the bunkers, I think I retrim prior to beginning but I'm not sure, then same deal, no pedal inputs changing power settings and speeds then i do two sliding turns down.  

I hope you find my inputs helpful for a solution for you having a good time in the module.  Good luck. 

I’ve got the most realistic aircraft controls minus the actual ffb system. I use dampers to act like a pseudo force trim system. All my controls will always stay where I leave them. I haven’t been using the trim button at all. But the scabs system may need it due to programming limitations. I’m not sure. This is the issue. As every person has a different setup. I wish they would specifically discuss those who just Recenter to trim and those who don’t need to Recenter. It’s a huge difference and different way of manipulating the sim flight controls. As my current system Is as realistic as I can get it from the irl aircraft I’ve flown and ridden in. I’m flight med crew full time irl. Eurocopter products but have experience in bell and other manufacturers. 

• Like 3

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!