TADS: FLIR polarity switches automaticlly back to default setting

Guard72nd

Hello. I suddenly noticed today that the Rgh polarity switch no longer changes the polarity of the CPG FLIR TADS display. At the same time, the FLIR GAIN/INT switches have stopped affecting  the actual screen. I can confirm that they are working when using the TADS trough IHADSS (both polarity and the Gain/int knobs, when I pull the symbology up on the monocle both as sight and as sensor. I have confirmed that the keybinds are still working in DCS, and I have tried repairing the installation etc, to no effect. I am also aware of the difference of FLIR and DTV, and I have had this work in FLIR before, it just suddenly stopped working for me. 

I also have no problems changing the polarity on either the PNVS or TADS when called up in the backseat. 

Anyone else had problems to this effect? 

Just to add to the original post. I can see the actual button moving on the right handgrip, I can see the polarity change when on the IHADSS monocle, but it no longer seems to affect the TDU display itself. Same goes for the FLIR gain/int

On 5/4/2022 at 12:31 PM, Guard72nd said:

Hello. I suddenly noticed today that the Rgh polarity switch no longer changes the polarity of the CPG FLIR TADS display. At the same time, the FLIR GAIN/INT switches have stopped affecting  the actual screen. I can confirm that they are working when using the TADS trough IHADSS (both polarity and the Gain/int knobs, when I pull the symbology up on the monocle both as sight and as sensor. I have confirmed that the keybinds are still working in DCS, and I have tried repairing the installation etc, to no effect. I am also aware of the difference of FLIR and DTV, and I have had this work in FLIR before, it just suddenly stopped working for me. 

I also have no problems changing the polarity on either the PNVS or TADS when called up in the backseat. 

Anyone else had problems to this effect? 

Just did some testing. For me when it has problems...

PLT NVS MODE OFF

TEDAC Display:
a) FLIR (Sight TADS)
     BRT, CON - working
     LVL, GAIN, Polarity - not working
     After mission restart: All working now. Bug?
     FLIR (SIght C-HMD)
     BRT, CON - not working (but this works when Sight is TADS). Bug?
     LVL, GAIN, Polarity - not working (could not replicate)
     After mission restart: Same as above but LVL, GAIN, Polarity now working. Bug?

b) TV
     BRT and CON - working
     LVL, GAIN, Polarity - not working (not meant to work I guess since they are for FLIR only as per manual)
     After mission restart: No change, same as above. Working as intended.

PLT NVS MODE ON

IHADSS View
LVL, GAIN, BRT, CON, Polarity - all working, no issues here.

TEDAC Display:
a) FLIR
     LVL, GAIN - working
     BRT, CON, Polarity - not working (could not replicate Polarity fault)
    After mission restart: Same as above but Polarity now works. Bug?

b) PNVS -
    LVL, GAIN - not working
    BRT, CON, Polarity - not working
   After mission restart: Same as above. Bug or working as intended?

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

This problem seems intermittant. After countless reboots&restarts to try and remedy the problem it suddenly works again, no settings or keybinds changed. Same instant action missions I was using for testing this half an hour ago... Now I am not able to replicate it myself anymore either. 

2 hours ago, Guard72nd said:

This problem seems intermittant. After countless reboots&restarts to try and remedy the problem it suddenly works again, no settings or keybinds changed. Same instant action missions I was using for testing this half an hour ago... Now I am not able to replicate it myself anymore either. 

Yeah, seems so. I updated my findings above.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

This happened to me today, I have only been in the front seat for about 6 days now training. Today was the 1st time I had the TADs up in FLIR mode and it wouldnt switch from Black Hot to White Hot? I just chalked it up as one of those flukes that cant be explained and left the sim. I dont have any proof of this of course, just chiming in.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

As soon as I get in the front seat and set the TEDAC to TADS, the HMD is green and the TADS is in FLIR Mode, when I switch from FLIR to TV mode, its still green.

image.png

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

just did some testing. Hot Start on Nevada, Caucasus and PG. Had no time for a test with a Cold Start, maybe tomorrow.

Putting my findings and thoughts on this in orange, so it can be better followed. This is just my opinon/thoughts and i dont know how it should work (or is working in a real Apache).

Am 4.5.2022 um 07:16 schrieb GrEaSeLiTeNiN:

Just did some testing. For me when it has problems...

PLT NVS MODE OFF (i would rather say NVS Mode OFF, cause you can use the PNVS and the TADS as NVS in both seats)

TEDAC Display:
a) FLIR (Sight TADS)
     BRT, CON - working - working
     LVL, GAIN, Polarity - not working - always worked for me / SYM is also working but no black symbology (thought there should be!?)
     After mission restart: All working now. Bug?

FLIR (Sight C-HMD)
     BRT, CON - not working (but this works when Sight is TADS). Bug? - not working / cant change BRT, CON of TEDAC display when HDU is the sight
     LVL, GAIN, Polarity - not working (could not replicate) - all working fine on my end
     After mission restart: Same as above but LVL, GAIN, Polarity now working. Bug?

b) TV (Sight TADS)
     BRT and CON - working - working
     LVL, GAIN, Polarity - not working (not meant to work I guess since they are for FLIR only as per manual)
     After mission restart: No change, same as above. Working as intended (jep).

IHADSS Display: (TADS as sight)

a) FLIR

SYM, BRT and CON only change values for the TEDAC display, not for the IHADSS - intended ?
     LVL, GAIN, Polarity change values for TEDAC display and for the IHADSS - working (i guess)

b) TV

no input at all working! atm there is no way (IMHO) to change the TADS TV contrast/brightness for the IHADSS... not so good when you want to get a clear picture of far away targets 😕

Am 4.5.2022 um 07:16 schrieb GrEaSeLiTeNiN:

PLT NVS MODE ON (NVS Mode ON in CPG seat)

now for the truly wierd part if you use the TADS as the NVS !!!

IHADSS View
LVL, GAIN, BRT, CON, Polarity - all working, no issues here. -> strangely you can now alter BRT, CON, SYM and Polarity for the TADS in IHADSS...., but at the same time the TEDAC display will only change when using LVL and GAIN, not on the others.

TEDAC Display:
a) FLIR (TADS)
     LVL, GAIN - working
     BRT, CON, Polarity - not working (could not replicate Polarity fault) (see above)
    After mission restart: Same as above but Polarity now works. Bug?

b) PNVS (afaik PNVS image can at this time only be displayed on the IHADSS, not on the TEDAC ??? dunno)

LVL, GAIN - not working - tbc
    BRT, CON, Polarity - not working - tbc
   After mission restart: Same as above. Bug or working as intended?

Hope this might help for further investigating...  🙂

Edited by Kharrn
more testing for NVS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, admiki said:

Well, IHADSS can  only display as monochrome so being green at all times makes sense.

I am pleading ignorance then! I would assume then I should be seeing black and white instead then?

Ok,, got it,,, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i have also noticed while in cpg position the flir polarity does not work in multiplayer. how ever it does work in single player if this is going to be tested it needs to be in multiplayer flir polarity will just bounce back to first polarity and will not switch between black hot white hot.

this has only been since the recent patch for me  

Edited by Goyabean

23 hours ago, Goyabean said:

i have also noticed while in cpg position the flir polarity does not work in multiplayer. how ever it does work in single player if this is going to be tested it needs to be in multiplayer flir polarity will just bounce back to first polarity and will not switch between black hot white hot.

this has only been since the recent patch for me  

I noticed the same thing in multiplayer yesterday. Clicking the command for polarity once just briefly changes polarity from WHOT to BHOT before it pops back. Now you have to "doubletap" the keybind to make it stick to the new polarity. This must have changed since the last patch, as I have not seen this exact behaviour before. 

After I got into the cockpit as a CPG and took off, I could not change the polarity of the TADS. It automatically switched back to the default setting at startup.

This happened in multiplayer starting at 17:28:30. The trk files can be found in the link below. Sry for the file size, it is the only one that shows this error. I have not been able to reproduce it so far.

Updatet 25.05.2022 / Shorter Trackfiles without mods + Logs

Greetings
T-Bone

FLIR-Polarity_bug_ColdDark+Hot-20220525-155156.zip

Edited by [Eule-22] T-Bone

Specs: R7 3800X, 32Gb 3600Mhz, RTX 2070 S, M2 SSd 970 Pro

Equipment: microHELIS Bell 206 Pedale + Toe-Brakes, microHELIS OH-58D Collective, microHELIS OH-58D Cyclic, Realteus Forcefeel, TrackIR 5

Not saying it's not a bug, or not an issue, this is just a work around.  If you bind the PLRT from the collective it works.  I ran into the same issue, I usually bounce between white hot and black hot, and I found by binding the collective polarity button it worked fine. 

Edited by kgillers3

• ED Team

Thanks but we are unable to use track replays that have unofficial mods, they will not work on our debug versions. If possible to recreate in a vanilla environment please do.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi I have the CPG RH grip Flir button bound to my Virpil joystick, in SP it switches between White Hot and Black Hot fine and stays in the mode I have switched too, in MP its flicks on to Black Hot but wont stay on and goes back to White Hot right away, can anyone else check who playes as a CPG online.

I have tried several buttons and they all act the same.

Cheers

Edited by Hotdognz

8 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

Hi I have the CPG RH grip Flir button bound to my Virpil joystick, in SP it switches between White Hot and Black Hot fine and stays in the mode I have switched too, in MP its flicks on to Black Hot but wont stay on and goes back to White Hot right away, can anyone else check who playes as a CPG online.

I have tried several buttons and they all act the same.

Cheers

we had the same problem with 3 or 4 players on our multiplayer server when using FLIR changes to BLACK HOT< then immediately cycles back to WHITE HOT with no input, in SP works fine