a Question bout Dogfight mode

CH4Pz

Whats the advantage of Dogfight mode? havent used it much, seems to take away useful info such as heading. But on lot of A2A vids they all use it. Is it just cuz thats real-to-life, or is there some sort of benefit?

More readable HUD, quicker target aquisition, only essential informations shown to name a few advantages. 

You dont really care about heading in the middle of a dogfight. And if you do, either look down at the EHSI or flip the switch, read the number and flip the switch back to dogfight. 

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 4

You get instant access to the ACM modes with out having to select them on the MFD. You can also preset your MFDs to show what you want in Dog Fight Mode and instantly have the preset available when you select Dog Fight.

You don't always have time to set up your avionics when all of a sudden you get into a dog fight. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It will also automatically select Sidewinder and Guns in a double-hot configuration where the weapon release button will fire Sidewinders and the trigger will fire Guns. You'll see both Sidewinder and Gunsight symbology on the HUD (you can switch to AMRAAM if you want with MSL STEP Long). 

• Like 2

The question is not about the advantages of DGFT mode but when it is essential to use it. This is rather because of how locking targets works and not so much about the information or look of the HUD. Thats a secondary thing that comes with DGFT mode.

At close range you need quick radar lock / aquisition via the ACM modes or the JHMCS, whereas you will use the radar cursor and the radar screen itself to lock and identify bandits in Missile or the normal mode. That takes a lot longer and is not desireable in close air combat situation. Thats why you'd use DGFT mode.

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 1

Not just then. Dogfight mode is used every time you enter a dogfight, at the merge or close to it. You get ACM, Sidewinder, gun and a decluttered HUD. Everything is instantly set up for a dogfight. No distractions, just the tools you need. Best of all, it's all under a single switch, so you don't waste time fiddling with MFD buttons.

• Like 3

Am 4.5.2022 um 16:13 schrieb CH4Pz:

Ah, so better visability, makes sense, im not huge on A2A, mainly cuz i suck at it !! 😅 ...but will have to try it out more ! Cheers boyz

This will be a part of the problem! 😉 Use the dogfight-switch! Its one of the highlights of the F16 ! 🤘🍻

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

Yah, from what I understand, real F-16 pilots pretty much never use the A/A master mode. They rely almost exclusively on the MRM and Dogfight override modes. 

Yea I think so too, I'm no Viper pilot but it sure is so much more intuitive to use Dogfight or Missile Override, set it up on the runway, how ever you like it and when you need it 1 press of a button and you are there all set up rdy for action, and so handy when you get jumped.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 6:01 AM, Bunny Clark said:

Yah, from what I understand, real F-16 pilots pretty much never use the A/A master mode. They rely almost exclusively on the MRM and Dogfight override modes. 

What is the difference between a2a master mode and missile mode? Iv been flying f16 for a year and always use a2a? Thanks

7 hours ago, Viciam1 said:

What is the difference between a2a master mode and missile mode? Iv been flying f16 for a year and always use a2a? Thanks

MRM Override Mode sets up the MFDs for BVR combat (which can be customized, like any mode) and will automatically select the longest range missile currently on the jet. 

Deselecting it will return you to the previous mode you were in with the previous weapon selected, unlike A/A Master Mode, which will always return you to Nav. 

Often in MP I go out with x4 120c (or x2 and x2 9x) and a couple of HARMs. Kill a radar or two then switch to CAP duties. The MRM override is very useful to quickly switch between A/G and A/A. If my HARMs are spent then I change the A/G back to nav. Very simple.

I no longer use the A/A manual button, although an alternative I used to do was have A/A mode enabled in RWS and use the MRM switch to easily go to A/A TWS. Set it up how you like on the ground or in the early stages of the sortie.