Canterbury Cathedral

DD_Fenrir

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes this is a must for the Channel Map!  I still get on it after big updates hoping they added it to surprise everyone, but so far nothing.   Please ED fix this, it's time.

• Like 2

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

• 1 year later...

I was amazed to see Leeds Castle on the map but no Canterbury Cathedral. Never mind Rochester Castle. 

This thread’s a bit dated and as far as I can tell, whoever developed the Channel map is top nomination for hide and seek World Champion. Not sure when it was updated last? Maybe someone will plonk it on Normandy2?

Would be good to have some low level POI. Obviously additions to our plane set would give the Channel some life but Kents Cathedral should be here. That, or publish an altered Baedeker book and have a quieter ‘42?

• 4 months later...

Dunkirk - England 1940

I'm not that familiar with military history, so I've learned a few things.

After taking off from Detling with my unfamiliar Spitfire takeoff training, I strolled around following the gentle hills of England, which are difficult to identify only at low altitudes, on the newly introduced Channel map, and found what appeared to be a very large radio tower for 1940, west of Canterbury.

Dunkirk, Kent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk,_Kent

At the time of the Battle of Britain, a Jewish-French woman mystic (- 1944 England), whom I admire, wrote of watching Hitler abandon his invasion of England from continental Europe, as if a holy power had pushed back the Nazi advance. At the time, Britain had the world's most advanced radar air defense network in place, and it is said that because of this, Britain was able to effectively intercept incoming German planes.

Chain Home
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_Home

Spitfire intercepting Messerschmitts in front of the White Cliffs of Dover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBm86lrCq2c

Without this world's most advanced radar air defense network, perhaps the British would have succumbed to the Nazis, the FDR administration in the U.S. would have been driven into a corner by domestic pro-Hitler forces in an anti-communist domino, the Empire of Japan would not have needed Pearl Harbor in 1941, and the Axis alliance would not have lost. As a Japanese, I am quite deeply moved by this story.

Edited by JAPman

CPU:Core i7-2700K 4.8GHz

Mother Board:Asrock Z77Extreme6

Memory:G.SKILL DDR3-2133 16GB

Graphic Card:AMD HD7970 1125/1575MHz

Display:Eyefinity / Square x3

I wouldn’t let your imagination get you upset Japman, mystics or not.

Last time I drove past Dunkirk some of the control rooms were still standing. Unlike at Swingate (Dover) the masts are long gone.

This map is modest in its historical architecture and churches, and looks somewhat bleak, like the human world today.

-- edit

St Mary's Parish Church, Ashford

Church of St Mary the Virgin, in Ashford

Sorry, I may be a little biased. As others have said, it seems difficult to find POI's at 300 mph, maybe I should try flying on I-16.

Edited by JAPman

DCS: The Channel Map

June 1940: The Third Reich is preparing to initiate Operation Adlerangriff (Eagle attack), the cross-Channel invasion of England from France. But since 1066, no foreign power had ever breached the shores of the British Isles.

Britain stood alone in Europe. It was the nation’s "darkest hour" - and had it not been for the determination and fighting spirit of its people, Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and the RAF, the Battle of Britain would have been lost and the fate of "all Christian Civilisation" put at risk.

Ah, surely this may be a crisis of Christian civilization as advertised. East Asian Buddhists are also worried.

The Channel Map is probably not continuous in space with the Normandy Map, when the US was adhering to Monroeism before Pearl Harbor.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking Static Template, there is only a Nazi radar base and a V1 site. Looks like revisionist space...

I see that The Fighter Collection's Flying Legends has moved from Duxford to Church Fenton, after being discontinued in Corona.