MPD's and IHADSS go blank

johnjar

I found this problem with the AH-64D. The instant action mission “Runway Start” and the training mission Lesson 3 “TSD Navigation” both have this problem. Others may also have it I have not checked every one. The MPD’s and the “IHADSS“ are displayed as the mission starts. Then after a few seconds they all go blank. This happens for the pilot and the gunner at the same time. The training mission continues and high lights the required buttons to be pressed. The training will continue as if the displays can be seen. The complete training can be finished with all displays blank. My screen is 1920 x 1080. Monitors is set to “Screen 1” and full screen in selected. I have also done a full DCS repair using the slowest option. It did not help. I have not uninstalled and reinstalled the module. I do not want to reinstall DCS World. Instead I am writing this in hopes to get a solution. Let me know if there is any more information I can provide. Thanks to all for your help!

sound a lot like a "power out" from my guess. Cant replicate without a track file. pleaaaaaaaase put up short tracks when reporting bugs.

refer to this post

On the topic:

please check if your Power Levers are bound to an axis or a key command (to set them for idle). If power levers are idle and APU is off, the E-UFD should still be showing warnings/advisories/cautions and the comms... at least as long as Battery is activated. And you should get a "deedle deedle" warning (i think cause of generator and/or rectifier fail !?).

Like i said, just guessing here. Maybe check all your controls and un-bind Power Levers (buttons and axis) and try again.

Cheers

K

I have seen this as well... ,if I look left or right of the cockpit the image returns. It seems to be the same behavior we had before with the mirrors blacking out the pits on aircraft...or looking at a certain point on the horizon, except its the flir/Ihads that's blanking out.

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:39 AM, johnjar said:

I found this problem with the AH-64D. The instant action mission “Runway Start” and the training mission Lesson 3 “TSD Navigation” both have this problem. Others may also have it I have not checked every one. The MPD’s and the “IHADSS“ are displayed as the mission starts. Then after a few seconds they all go blank. This happens for the pilot and the gunner at the same time. The training mission continues and high lights the required buttons to be pressed. The training will continue as if the displays can be seen. The complete training can be finished with all displays blank. My screen is 1920 x 1080. Monitors is set to “Screen 1” and full screen in selected. I have also done a full DCS repair using the slowest option. It did not help. I have not uninstalled and reinstalled the module. I do not want to reinstall DCS World. Instead I am writing this in hopes to get a solution. Let me know if there is any more information I can provide. Thanks to all for your help!

Is there any change to engine noise? 

I found out that the problem is caused by the Power Lever Smoothly Increase and Power Lever Smoothly Decrease settings. The video I uploaded shows the MPD's go blank as the two levers reach the top. I could only show the bottom to top lever movement one time to keep the file size under 5 M. As the levers are moved bottom to top and the cycle is repeated, the MPD's blank near the bottom and turn on near the top of the travel. At times this cycle must be repeated several times before the blanking will begin. This will happen using the keyboard also. (Num - is Decrease and Num + is Increase) If I program the throttle on my HOTAS (Or any of the Rotaries) to these keys, I get the same blanking as they are moved. Also note the MPD's are dim when first turning on and gradually get brighter. This does not happen when they turn off. (Instantly blank) I do not know if it can be seen in the video.

In the menu of Axis Settings the Power Levers Both has a different problem. Any time it is mapped to my HOTAS Throttle or any Rotary the MPD's go blank a few seconds after the flight is started. Then there is no way I have found to turn them back on. This is the problem I first reported in this post.

Thanks to all for helping!

My HOTAS is a Logitech Space Flight X-56 advanced control flight system.

I do not know when these problems started. But I know they were not happening when I first received this module.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb johnjar:

I found out that the problem is caused by the Power Lever Smoothly Increase and Power Lever Smoothly Decrease settings. The video I uploaded shows the MPD's go blank as the two levers reach the top. I could only show the bottom to top lever movement one time to keep the file size under 5 M. As the levers are moved bottom to top and the cycle is repeated, the MPD's blank near the bottom and turn on near the top of the travel. At times this cycle must be repeated several times before the blanking will begin. This will happen using the keyboard also. (Num - is Decrease and Num + is Increase) If I program the throttle on my HOTAS (Or any of the Rotaries) to these keys, I get the same blanking as they are moved. Also note the MPD's are dim when first turning on and gradually get brighter. This does not happen when they turn off. (Instantly blank) I do not know if it can be seen in the video.

In the menu of Axis Settings the Power Levers Both has a different problem. Any time it is mapped to my HOTAS Throttle or any Rotary the MPD's go blank a few seconds after the flight is started. Then there is no way I have found to turn them back on. This is the problem I first reported in this post.

Thanks to all for helping!

My guess is that your power lever is bound to an axis or something else is doing key inputs on that. It seems like you can easily reproduce the problem so pleaaaaaaaaaase provide a track file (.trk) like already stated in my first post !!!

What i guess is happening that you spawn in the helicopter, the system tries to match the ingame control setting to your HOTAS setting. Maybe your axis for power lever is turned to 0 (or inverted at 100), so when spawning in a hot start mission, the power levers will drop to idle kind of instantly. But there really should be a change in engine noise then.

And yes, if power levers are dropped down to about 1/3 from IDLE (77%Nr with collective at 0 on ground), you will loose electrical power to the MFDs and the IHADSS if the APU is not turned on. If you then put the power levers back up, you will regain elec power at around 1/3 to half power lever setting (wait some seconds while turning levers up to see the effect). I dont know if that is accurate to the real Apache, but it is how its in the sim at this moment.

Another issue could be a power lock out issue with engines dying!? but can only look into that with a track....

K

edit:

aparrently you mean some other "blinking" (blanking?) which i can not see in you provided video...

When I wrote "blanking" I meant the MPD's were blank.

I listened closer and the engine noise does change. Its just hard to hear over the "Rotor RPM low" warning.

The track file "No changes Working as you wrote" I used the keyboard commands. Yes it works as you wrote with the APU on or off.

The track file "Works all power lever keyboard setting cleared" I used the throttle on my HOTAS. To get it to work I had to clear all of the keyboard setting related to the Power Levers. Then it again worked as you wrote. So maybe I had some control set more than one time. I left well enough alone and stopped investigating.

Please, check to see if the real AH-64D MPD's and IHADSS work this way and make changes as needed. I will be surprised if they do.

Any way I am glad to get it working with my HOTAS.

Forgive my slowness, I finally figured out what you meant by a "Track".

Thanks again to all for helping!

No Changes Working as you wrote.trk Works all power lever keyboard settings cleared.trk