The Apache engine died! I don't understand why, can someone explain it to me.

first off, you were in engine overspeed on both and your Nr% was way high. likely you destroyed your engines. your rotor rpm were through the  roof as well. depending on your loadout, 120kts isnt that great of an airspeed in level flight; only in a dive should you really start getting fast....you should strive to keep it at around 90kts if you have any ammunition on hardpoints. cant really see where your throttle is at, but Im assuming you have it full foward. your engine %age should be 101% at best, and 103% when under extreme conditions only BRIEFLY.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

18 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

120kts isnt that great of an airspeed in level flight;

120 is fine. 

42 minutes ago, Blaine Stars said:

From 2:02:17 apache's engine goes from a normal condition to a total crash and shuts down, I can't tell if it's a bug or something else, could anyone say?

So I couldn't hear the game audio too well, but, there are a couple of things that could have happened.  I'm ruling random decu failure out because seems odd that RNG would hit you with both engines.  I don't know how you have your options set but it looks like to me that you accidently went into lockout, you never checked your rotor (pulled in collective to keep your rotor and engines within limits), your engines either destroyed themselves or hit the overspeed shutdown.  Which you weren't prepared for so you never entered into an autorotative state and dumped your collective resulting in loosing all of your rotor rpm which is why all your screens shut off before you hit the ground.  

I'd check the main options special page to see how the lockout is set on there.  The only other thing that it coulda been is a governor fail on both engines simultaneously, which is super unlucky. Possibly a bug on how those conditions presented themselves but again IDK random failures do random things. 

But to me it looked like you went into lockout which means the engines went ungoverned and ranaway driving both up with the rotor until they died either from overspeed shutdown or ate themselves. 

watch the video, I was before the fact with the engine at 53%, speed 121 nos (if I'm not mistaken, apache max cruise is 126 nos, correct me if I'm wrong), and a steady -1000 descent rate , everything was stable, then out of nowhere the engine goes up to 130% generating all the other problems all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, kgillers3 said:

120 is fine. 

not with a full payload

47 minutes ago, Blaine Stars said:

watch the video, I was before the fact with the engine at 53%, speed 121 nos (if I'm not mistaken, apache max cruise is 126 nos, correct me if I'm wrong), and a steady -1000 descent rate , everything was stable, then out of nowhere the engine goes up to 130% generating all the other problems all of a sudden.

You wouldnt be flying with your engine at 53%; maybe your torque which is more likely.  When I watched that part of the video, your torque was over 75%. 75%, your engine temps maxed out, you were well outside safe parameters. Ofc thats going off of the 1:00 of video I did see, but thats what was readily apparent to me.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, kgillers3 said:

... whatever you say. What's max range. 

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

1 minute ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Well if he's flying at 125 at max load, hes out of range, correct?

that's not how it works, max range = the max fuel economy you can get per mile.  If you go over it you burn more fuel for a little more speed. You become less efficient up to the max power you can pull which is the fastest you can go.  With your conclusion I would assume you don't hover at all loaded in the aircraft.  Especially OGE. 

15 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

You wouldnt be flying with your engine at 53%; maybe your torque which is more likely.  When I watched that part of the video, your torque was over 75%. 75%, your engine temps maxed out, you were well outside safe parameters. Ofc thats going off of the 1:00 of video I did see, but thats what was readily apparent to me.

You were pretty jerkish too him for not understanding what fault was occurring.  I snipped his eng page before the error.  If you would reference the manual you were quick to point out specifically chapter 5, maybe peek at 9.  It's possible in some conditions to not have 57% tq I guess but unlikely he would be doing anything that limited.  122 kts true is well within the operating limits of the aircraft for most conditions.  Sure in some cases you may burn a little extra gas, but you're not breaking the helicopter. within 30seconds after this fault occurs he gets engine 1 and engine 2 and high rotor overspeed's. I think the rotor is first if I recall.  But just prior to the fault everything is within continuous operating limits.  

Eng page.PNG

35 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Well if he's flying at 125 at max load, hes out of range, correct? TQ is 73%, TGT is 770, his engine speed is in excess of 103%.  Shows him out of range.

Edit: according to the -10, 810c is normal max range. you can extrapolate from the rest of the graph. Note the payload is for 8 hellfires+ fuel only.

So a. I don't think you're supposed to be posting those.  B. If you would learn how to read that chart and understand what it's telling you you would understand he has up to 100% tq available to go however fast he wants up to 100% tq if the engines can produce 100% tq

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 1

Funny thing about manuals: google is great at finding them. Its where I found my copy.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

• ED Team
Just now, Hammer1-1 said:

Funny thing about manuals:

Funny thing, posting excerpts or links to download them is still in violation of Rule 1.16...

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

3 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Funny thing, posting excerpts or links to download them is still in violation of Rule 1.16...

Wasnt aware the -10 is ITAR controlled.

My wallpaper and skins

7 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

not with a full payload

see the right video, I was making a landing approach, with torque at 53% (no variation) speed of 121 nos (no variation) and a descent rate of -1000 without variation, suddenly the torque went out of 53% and it went all at once to 130% and after that it kept varying until the aircraft was completely turned off, look at the video more closely. the aircraft was not out of the parameters or show me in the video which parameter was wrong.

2 hours ago, Blaine Stars said:

see the right video, I was making a landing approach, with torque at 53% (no variation) speed of 121 nos (no variation) and a descent rate of -1000 without variation, suddenly the torque went out of 53% and it went all at once to 130% and after that it kept varying until the aircraft was completely turned off, look at the video more closely. the aircraft was not out of the parameters or show me in the video which parameter was wrong.

So I tried it out, I was able to replicate by going into lockout, I’m pretty sure that’s what happened to you, check your special settings as I said above and if you have the lockout toggle bound good luck 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

So I tried it out, I was able to replicate by going into lockout, I’m pretty sure that’s what happened to you, check your special settings as I said above and if you have the lockout toggle bound good luck 

First thing I was thinking about when I saw your video. Sadly you never look down left to confirm.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

Pilot error or bad collective pot.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

27 minutes ago, Scaley said:

Is it possible whoever was in the front put the power levers into lockout with a keybind that didn't realise was mapped?

I don’t think dcs allows that, but tbh I really wish it did. I would 100% do it every chance I got. Surprise! Auto! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

I don’t think dcs allows that, but tbh I really wish it did. I would 100% do it every chance I got. Surprise! Auto! 

Yeah, only client that has control can manipulate engine levers. 

But I am with you 100% on this 😂😂😂

• Like 1