Helicopter Weapons Range II

This is a new version of my Helicopter Weapons Range mission, from scratch and with many new features and core scripts, so I decided to give it its own thread. 

Day & Night Version provided in a zip file (attached here while the upload is approved in the User files)

Download at user files:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3322227/

Helicopter Weapons Range II
====================================

The objective of this mission is to provide an environment where to practice the use of helicopter and fixed wing aircraft weapons. It was designed for my personal use in Single Player , with the AH-64 in mind, flying either from the back of front seat, and commanding George in the other seat.
It uses a (reusable and portable) script that provides useful feedback on several parameters (distance and position of the impact, targets “hit” by the weapon”, altitude, roll, pitch and yaw angles at the time of release …) . Most of these parameters are optional and can be configured using the settings menu option.

The Range

There are two training areas:

1) Weapons Range

----------------------

Used to practice basic weapons employment and attack technics. It is divided in three areas:

A) Popup Targets area: contains 30 popup targets that are activated by the presence of helicopters. This area is delimited by blue containers.

B) Static targets: contains 6 targets, 4 are IFV/MBTs (re-spawnable via settings menu) in the center of structures designed to provide some concealment from low level attacks, and 2 area/rockets attacks designed to count the number of weapons that impacted inside the delimited area. This area targets will not report hits from strafing attacks. No mark, Laser and IR designation is available for these targets (make sure that the correct designation area is selected via the Designation menu)

C) Moving targets: contains 4 moving targets (re-spawnable via settings menu) at different speeds. Laser and IR designation is available for these targets (make sure that the correct designation area is selected via the Designation menu)

2) Target Recognition Range

-----------------------------------

Use to practice target recognition in an urban setting. Multiple semi-random targets deployed to the area. Smoke, No mark, Laser and IR designation is available for these targets (make sure that the correct designation area is selected via the Designation menu)

This is a “tactical range” and can be used in several ways. To practice target recognition, I recommend using Smoke designation, the Range will assign you a target and you will have to locate, identify and engage that target. This is particularly fun (for me) with a fixed wing aircraft!

Also, using Laser/IR designation, will allow practicing for difficult shots because of target occlusion.

Mission flow
Think of the script as a “range control”. Communications with “range control” will be done via the comms menu (“\”, “F10-Other”).

“Range control” has to be informed that ordnance is about to be deployed (using the “rolling in” menu option) in order to start tracking. Once the attack is completed, “range control” has to be asked to provide the results using the “Off - attack completed” menu option. 

Additionally, “range control” can be asked to provide the coordinates for the targets and to designated them using white phosphorus, laser or a no mark designation (target coordinates).

Note: in version 1.2 of the UI, support was added for automatic reporting of “rolling in” and “attack complete” commands.

– Adding your own aircraft:

Well, just add them to the mission! The name or type of the aircraft is not important. The “SKILL” however, is important. For user flyable aircraft, DCS accepts 2 different skills: “Player” and “Client”. The mission and script support both. “Client” has no limitations but “Player” does. If the mission contains a single aircraft and its skill is set to “Player”, the aircraft cannot be started in the air because the range control will not work (DCS bug or limitation). A single “Player” aircraft is supported only if it starts on the ground. In this case, the script will start working when the engines are started (if cold & dark) or after take off (if started as a hot aircraft).

--Author notes:

Multiplayer: This mission uses a total rewrite of my Target Impact Tracker Script and a custom Popup Target control. Neither has been test in MP but I suspect that TITS will work fine in a MP setting but I’m not so sure with the popup target script, so MP compatibility of this mission is UNKNOWN and officially unsupported. Unofficially I don’t mind answering questions and, perhaps, coding a little to help anybody to make it work in MP, just keep in mind that the time I spent in this comes from my “entertainment” time, and it is already limited.

The default unit of measurements can be easily changed on the ME, using the “Override defaults trigger”.

When designing these scripts, I decided not to spend time (neither CPU or mine) doing validations, so, be warned: if you use an unsupported value, something will blow up.
Please use the forum thread provided in the download page to contact me.

vFG 476 Range Targets Package REQUIRED
https://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?5304-476th-Range-Targets-Package

A couple of good videos by Sidekick65 on the prior version of my Target Impact Tracker Script (that are still valid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFHpjkvTnKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQUBRqpFIEc&t=935s

Edit:

Sept/12/2022 Update
- Upgraded the missions to the latest version of the scripts and fixed the bug with the Automatic Range Clearance reported in the comments 

Also, change summary to indicate that the mission is compatible with MP

May/20/2022 Update
- Support for automatic pass start and end added.  
- 3rd version of the mission added: day - AUTO (set for automatic pass start/end)
- Attack Radial option added to designation (works with any type of designation)
- Results reports got some formatting changes to support the attack radial.
- 2 new result reports using the designated target as reference instead of the closest target to impact
- BDA report fixed and re-added
- Designation settings moved under the Setting menu
- Results use shell display names instead of the type for reporting
- Tracking Script does not longer depend on pass-end to count cannon rounds.
- multiple minor bugs fixed (and, most likely, new ones introduced 🙂 )

May/12/2022 Update
- Improve grouping of weapons for reporting
- Added optional Abort Message (turned off by default)
- Added Range Card with target offset information (kneeboard card)
- Fixed "no effect" message when target was killed
- Fixed cannon rounds counting and crashes when multiple shell types where loaded in the a/c
- Results reports improvements.
- Removed Pass BDA report.

Edited by Draken35
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thanks for sharing

My pleasure and a small contribution for this fantastic community, from which I've learned a lot and has contributed to uncountable hours of entertainment!  

• Like 1

Mission / Scripts updated.

May/12/2022 Update
- Improve grouping of weapons for reporting
- Added optional Abort Message (turned off by default)
- Added Range Card with target offset information (kneeboard card)
- Fixed "no effect" message when target was killed
- Fixed cannon rounds counting and crashes when multiple shell types where loaded in the a/c
- Results reports improvements.
- Removed Pass BDA report.

May/20/2022 Update
- Support for automatic pass start and end added.  
- 3rd version of the mission added: day - AUTO (set for automatic pass start/end)
- Attack Radial option added to designation (works with any type of designation)
- Results reports got some formatting changes to support the attack radial.
- 2 new result reports using the designated target as reference instead of the closest target to impact
- BDA report fixed and re-added
- Designation settings moved under the Setting menu
- Results use shell display names instead of the type for reporting
- Tracking Script does not longer depend on pass-end to count cannon rounds.
- multiple minor bugs fixed (and, most likely, new ones introduced 🙂 )

• 3 months later...

Sept/12/2022 Update
- Upgraded the missions to the latest version of the scripts and fixed the bug with the Automatic Range Clearance reported in the comments 

Also, change summary to indicate that the mission is compatible with MP

Edited by Draken35
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, is it possible to transfer the script to Syria map? Tried to copy the lua files to my mission and to edit the targets to my syria range. The script loads, I get the confirmation, but no radio menu appears and I don't get any information about my passes. 

9 minutes ago, Ekkiman said:

Hi, is it possible to transfer the script to Syria map? Tried to copy the lua files to my mission and to edit the targets to my syria range. The script loads, I get the confirmation, but no radio menu appears and I don't get any information about my passes. 

Hello, the scripts are not map dependent. I used it in all the maps.  Are you doing an air start with a player skill? If so, change that to "client" and if possible, start from an airfield.

null

image.png

• 10 months later...

Hi, Hope your still deving this script dude, i just found it and im loving it for building my trg mission full of goodies, and i have a wish or two::

Ok the auto-pass is great, but, auto start is a problem if your just overflying the engagement zone (I actually have a tanker route go over it) it will clear you hot and mess up your day (clutter your day at least).  So is there a way, so i can have auto start on in the script and this not happen.

Im thinking in the f10 menu selecting "Range" sets you in range mode and only then does auto-pass or even manual roll-in act as a function.

Also like when you use the AI radio on the tanker the F10 "Tanker" menu locks into only the tanker options, ie you dont have to step through to request rejoin it sits on it.

So maybe with your script when you select F10 "other" "Enter Range" the f10 menu locks into the range menu with "results, designate, settings, Roll-in/Off" options, then either have "Exit Range" or "previous menu" kicks you back to main.  Its not like you want to call ATC while cleared hot and running in.

So many times im running in on a laser and i have forgot to designate, or it is still designated to the last tgt.

So on the designation, can there be a script true false option, that will drop the smoke, drop the laser etc when you Off range or Auto-pass Off range. I dont mind it giving a new tgt next time round as long as i am not fumbling with the menu to undes redes etc etc.

Finally on the menu, how would i get "Rolling-in" and "Off Target", to always be under "F1" press, i have a button on my hotas for F1 which i use behind the tanker.

Now, MP, I havent tried with a buddy using the range with me yet, im sure its fine for circle bombing as long as we leave space to call Off tgt. 

How will this work with lasing, does a second client get his own lased tgt, and control of designation type etc.. (i will try this but i may have questions later)

MP ranges usually have a top ten last passes with details for Undes bombs and des bombs etc, is this easily added.

How do i set a unit "T55 Tk-1" in MEd, so that it shows and takes damage, becoming a smoking hulk on the ground,  which is reported in results as %.  And then de-spawn and respawn them for reuse on future passes.  ( i have the units placed, question is what ME settings are needed)

So as you can see, maybe more than two wishes, I really hope your still actively deving the script, and can help with the above.  Many Many Thx

- Sorry for long wind, things kept coming to me as i was typing.

Oh forgot - this script is from Ca BSA auto V3 mission - Tits 2.3 and range-UI 1.3 - using my mission with edited CaBSA3.lua for the actual range targets 

Edited by GremlinIV

@GremlinIV The most current version  of the scripts, including a example of the target file is here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YEsJoAVIpACrSxkTH46zWkhlLGyHKkcG?usp=sharing

Even thought it supports MP, the script was design for SP and  is is not in active development and I will not add any more features to it.  Sorry, I have a hard time following you but I will try to answer:

1 hour ago, GremlinIV said:

Ok the auto-pass is great, but, auto start is a problem if your just overflying the engagement zone (I actually have a tanker route go over it) it will clear you hot and mess up your day (clutter your day at least).  So is there a way, so i can have auto start on in the script and this not happen.

I seldom use auto pass. It was an addon requested by a good friend. But, the current version has an option to toggle it on an off, under settings.

Im thinking in the f10 menu selecting "Range" sets you in range mode and only then does auto-pass or even manual roll-in act as a function.

Also like when you use the AI radio on the tanker the F10 "Tanker" menu locks into only the tanker options, ie you dont have to step through to request rejoin it sits on it.

I wish, but this is not an option for the LUA API as far as I know.

So many times im running in on a laser and i have forgot to designate, or it is still designated to the last tgt.

So on the designation, can there be a script true false option, that will drop the smoke, drop the laser etc when you Off range or Auto-pass Off range. I dont mind it giving a new tgt next time round as long as i am not fumbling with the menu to undes redes etc etc.

Don't forget! 😉 . Sorry, no adding new features or changes on behavior.

Finally on the menu, how would i get "Rolling-in" and "Off Target", to always be under "F1" press, i have a button on my hotas for F1 which i use behind the tanker.

You would have to substantially modify the menu generation code to regenerate the whole menu every time to start or end a pass. They are in the last position of the menu for a reason. I use Voice Attack for comms... 

2 hours ago, GremlinIV said:

How do i set a unit "T55 Tk-1" in MEd, so that it shows and takes damage, becoming a smoking hulk on the ground,  which is reported in results as %.  And then de-spawn and respawn them for reuse on future passes.  ( i have the units placed, question is what ME settings are needed)

there is an option to respawn target units in the menu. place each target unit in its own group in the ME  

Ahh thats a pity, thx for the latest luas though i will push them in

Ok auto-pass toggle didnt see that will use it.

I guess i wish too, lol

I will find a work around for laser or just not use it and/or not forget

Hmmm voice attack "Im sorry that command doesnt exist", it has never understood me, in WOT i tried VA to fit tracks by saying "Tracks", it replied "What", it did work if i said "Four"

Lots of reaching for the mouse i guess, or modifier key it to press F4, that could work.

Ill try respawn again with the new luas and see what happens, its not critical just nice.

So thx for quick response..

• 5 months later...
29 minutes ago, skypickle said:

after a long hiatus I came back to this mission but got an 'add target' error when starting.

see attached pic

Capture.JPG

Most likely the mission was modified and a target was delete. Please, redownload and retry.

EDIT: Or it could be something wrong with your install of the vFG 476 Range Targets Package mod... Check that if the redownload fails.

(I just downloaded and tested it and loads fine for me)

Edited by Draken35

Thank you.

I had the 476 vFG - Air Weapons Range Objects folder in the tech folder. Turns out you have to open that folder and drill down to 476RangeTargets folder and move THAT into tech folder. Now I am remembering all my other noob errors. Who knew that even playing DCS is a perishable skill, let alone fying the aircraft

• Like 2

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal