HARM Self Protect Mode. 180 Turn.

pyreegue

2 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Working perfectly, the SP target was behind you as indicated by the box around the emitter. To step targets press the RAID/FLIR FOV/HARM sequence button.

Thing is, there aren't any emitters behind me...

image.png

Edited by pyreegue

image.thumb.png.e22f22c85947eaa4490c02321bace075.png
There is, the carrier at least that the camera cut to initially is there. The emitter on the HUD behind you is a surface ship. ED just has EW priority wrong but it's always been that way.
  • Like 1

Isn't there a ship out there in the water somewhere? First few frames of the video show a carrier. Sniped.

But yea, I find it interesting that the cued threat didn't switch to the SA-11 since the HRM OVRD option was unboxed. My understanding was that the PLBK condition would force the SP cued threat to the immediate threat, which it did after the first missile left the rail.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

2 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:
4 minutes ago, pyreegue said:

There is, the carrier at least that the camera cut to initially is there. The emitter on the HUD behind you is a surface ship. ED just has EW priority wrong but it's always been that way.

2 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Isn't there a ship out there in the water somewhere? First few frames of the video show a carrier. Sniped.

But yea, I find it interesting that the cued threat didn't switch to the SA-11 since the HRM OVRD option was unboxed. My understanding was that the PLBK condition would force the SP cued threat to the immediate threat.

Yeah, the carrier is to the left of the screen. And it does seem to be going for the carrier which is puzzling. Why would it do that?

But yea, I find it interesting that the cued threat didn't switch to the SA-11 since the HRM OVRD option was unboxed. My understanding was that the PLBK condition would force the SP cued threat to the immediate threat, which it did after the first missile left the rail.
Not to mention that it shouldn't even be on the HUD as it's friendly...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, did some testing, and I've found that the PLBK condition will only work if HARM is not the selected weapon. If HARM is selected, the pilot-selected HARM mode will always override the HRM OVRD option. Not sure if that's intended behavior.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Okay, did some testing, and I've found that the PLBK condition will only work if HARM is not the selected weapon. If HARM is selected, the pilot-selected HARM mode will always override the HRM OVRD option. Not sure if that's intended behavior.
It's incorrect behavior, but it's intended...

54 minutes ago, pyreegue said:

Yeah, the carrier is to the left of the screen. And it does seem to be going for the carrier which is puzzling. Why would it do that?

Your video clearly shows first HARM's target.

image.png

2 minutes ago, opps said:

Your video clearly shows first HARM's target.

If there is more than one lethal or critical SAM or AAA threat detected, pressing and releasing the HARM Sequence button [I] on the throttle allows the player to cycle through them. Re-select the highest threat emitter by pressing pushbutton 15 (RSET) or the Cage/Uncage Button on the throttle. (DCS F/A-18 Manual).

How is the carrier a lethal threat to me if it's friendly and is not even maintaining a lock on me.

If there is more than one lethal or critical SAM or AAA threat detected, pressing and releasing the HARM Sequence button on the throttle allows the player to cycle through them. Re-select the highest threat emitter by pressing pushbutton 15 (RSET) or the Cage/Uncage Button on the throttle. (DCS F/A-18 Manual).

How is the carrier a lethal threat to me if it's friendly and is not even maintaining a lock on me.
@BIGNEWY I would also love to know why this very important logic is described in the manual yet not implemented. The problem exits for EW fliters as a whole.

8 minutes ago, pyreegue said:

If there is more than one lethal or critical SAM or AAA threat detected, pressing and releasing the HARM Sequence button [I] on the throttle allows the player to cycle through them. Re-select the highest threat emitter by pressing pushbutton 15 (RSET) or the Cage/Uncage Button on the throttle. (DCS F/A-18 Manual).

For me it seems to there is certain delay for updating threat rank for SP targeting. You fired too fast IMHO. I have no idea if this delay is correct or not.

About RWR filter, I agree. Friendly should not displayed in normal setting just like HB's F-14. 

34 minutes ago, opps said:

For me it seems to there is certain delay for updating threat rank for SP targeting. You fired too fast IMHO. I have no idea if this delay is correct or not.

About RWR filter, I agree. Friendly should not displayed in normal setting just like HB's F-14. 

I made this video for demonstration purposes. I was on a mission yesterday and waited for a good 10 seconds after a launch, not even a lock. It may be possible to use the sequence button in this situation, but what if it's a contested area with 10 emitters. SP exists to press the panic button and turn around, not to look though possible threats including friendlies

Edited by pyreegue

37 minutes ago, pyreegue said:

I made this video for demonstration purposes. I was on a mission yesterday and waited for a good 10 seconds after a launch, not even a lock. It may be possible to use the sequence button in this situation, but what if it's a contested area with 10 emitters. SP exists to press the panic button and turn around, not to look though possible threats including friendlies

In such situation, as you quoted above, pressing pushbutton 15 (RSET) or the Cage/Uncage will automatically select highest threat if you are already in SP mode.

10 hours ago, opps said:

In such situation, as you quoted above, pressing pushbutton 15 (RSET) or the Cage/Uncage will automatically select highest threat if you are already in SP mode.

The carrier should not be a threat at all. Especially when I'm being locked by an SA-11 right in front of me and the other one is just emitting. In combat situations split seconds decide between life and death.

Edited by pyreegue

1 hour ago, pyreegue said:

The carrier should not be a threat at all. Especially when I'm being locked by an SA-11 right in front of me and the other one is just emitting. In combat situations split seconds decide between life and death.

I already agreed that about friend RWR contact. But what exactly do you want?

Do you want aircraft automatically pick up highest threat for you? Then just enable pull back and wait.

If you select SP mode manually, you should be prepared. Just press one button and again aircraft will chose most critical threat.

And in both case, you SOULD at least take split of seconds before you shoot. Even friendly radar is filtered out, friend radar may accidentally spikes you or threat RWR just picked up is faaaaar away for SP range unknown HARM shot. Take time to analyzes what is painting you and what you are targeting, then react.

Edited by opps

@BIGNEWY I would also love to know why this very important logic is described in the manual yet not implemented. The problem exits for EW fliters as a whole.
True, if the RWR filters are not implemented to at least filter out signals associated with friendly emitters, then this is going to keep happening.

Depending on whether the unit is present in the friendly coalition only or not, the RWR should have built-in logic to treat it as friendly and display its only if the filter knob is in F. Example: the SPS-48 (SS or 48 on the RWR) of a CVN should be filtered as friendly, as long as all units carrying it are on the friendly coalition. If there is a CVN on the other coalition, then both emitters should be displayed in Normal mode.
  • Like 4

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro