Top Gun Maverick

pete_auau

Overall I liked the movie, it is a good movie even tho combat is terribly off.

after all it is a hollywood movie made to earn money.

Combat scenes - if they were realistic they would be too boring for normal audience to watch so I didn't expect them to be nothing else than hollywood. If you ask me and I believe many flying DCS, combat scenes are pretty bad and I'd like them better but I know that wont happen in movies cause of said reason.

Imagine them flying a strike sortie and hanging in air for few hours while SEAD and DEAD flights do their job... perfect for DCS pilots but terrible for broad audience.

P.S. some one should tell them Ground Radar SEA mode doesn't detect airborne targets 😄

• Like 2

Oh, before that, SA-3 can been spoofed by flares...and SA-3 needs no search and track radars, and it has so short minimum range.

One can turn on the radio on F-14A along side with the radar from the RIO position.

F-14A does not need the flap to take off (okay, I know I was bad)

"Do not think, just do" is like "Use the Force Luke"

If they know where the SAM are, why not killing them by cruise missiles first? Or why don't the SA-3 kill the incoming cruise missiles?

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Hint for the younger ones:
Try to watch the first Top Gun before, if you didn't see it yet. It's not mandatory but of course there are references.

For a DCS player it was nice to see all the buttons, displays and levers in the cockpits.

I won't tell more because you'll watch the movie anyways 😜

And yes, it's made for entertainment, not a documentary nor to train real fighter pilots. It's more of a fun part for a DCS player to seperate the real stuff from the fiction.

Edited by Lynnux
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:23 PM, unlikely_spider said:

They really should find a way to make cost-effective advertisements for it.

"Fly the most realistic and faithful recreation of the Hornet ever released to the public!"

Heck, it's even free to try for a couple weeks, right?

Something like that ? Just found it on YT... 😉

I've seen the movie also, thought it was great, they did a good sequel and there will always be debatable scene etc I guess.

My question to those in the know though please... *POSSIBLE MOVIE SPOILER ALERT* if you haven't seen it yet.

Is it possible for them to continue lasing that target on their climb out with the target now behind them as they are flying skyward out of the target area?

You see them trying to keep vision on the screen and manoeuvre the button to keep the laser on target while pulling 7-9g's and almost blacking out. I've always thought you would loose lock once past the target let alone climbing up and away from it.

Cheers,

Aussie Pilot.

You guys that have been flying endless DCS strike sorties are missing the experience that the general population is having.  Remember the first time you used a TGP and felt that magic feeling, almost like a superpower, when you watch the laser guide home your first GBU shack?  That's what people worldwide are seeing for their first time, and that's why it's going to be a huge huge movie.  Yes, it could have been more accurate, but it was excellent and it's going to grow up the next generation of aviation geeks and sim addicts.   I predict waves of spin-off jet movies for years to come, just like we saw after the first top gun movie.  And that's GOOD for our world.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, HawkEXO said:

That's what people worldwide are seeing for their first time, and that's why it's going to be a huge huge movie.  Yes, it could have been more accurate, but it was excellent and it's going to grow up the next generation of aviation geeks and sim addicts.   I predict waves of spin-off jet movies for years to come, just like we saw after the first top gun movie.  And that's GOOD for our world.

I think maybe you're being a bit optimistic with this... this movie is a nostalgia money generator. Tom Cruise does not bring young people to the theaters - it's not exactly 1986 now. Plus the media landscape is much more fractured than it was at that time. You need a huge multi-genre vehicle like Harry Potter or Hunger Games with young stars to generate enough enthusiasm to make any impact outside of the actual movie after the credits. This is likely to do well in the box office, maybe lead to a sequel, but then I think it's going to be forgotten in a couple years.

• Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

On 5/26/2022 at 7:51 AM, NineLine said:
On 5/26/2022 at 7:47 AM, SUBS17 said:

Watch | Facebook

I did not know that Tom Cruise flew P51 Mustangs.

And owns. 

He owns the Mustang shown in the film

Edited by OLD CROW

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

5 hours ago, OLD CROW said:

He owns the Mustang shown in the film

I don't think it's a P-51. Looks more like a TF. The P doesn't have a back seat.

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

3 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

I don't think it's a P-51. Looks more like a TF. The P doesn't have a back seat.

I never said P I said Mustang. The only who wrongly used P-51D has been who tittled the vid I posted. Just for laughs....Would it be same kind of comentaries if I dared to use MIG-28 instead of F-5? 

• Like 1

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

1 hour ago, OLD CROW said:

I never said P I said Mustang. The only who wrongly used P-51D has been who tittled the vid I posted. Just for laughs....Would it be same kind of comentaries if I dared to use MIG-28 instead of F-5? 

Sorry, it wasn't personal. I meant to include the other guy on page 1 who did say P.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

10 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

It's a P-51D, the 85 Gallon Fuel Cell and other wartime items are removed and a jump seat is mounted in their place. (no controls or gauges)

TF-51 has an elongated Cockpit and Canopy, housing controls and gauges for the rear seat. Hence the Trainer Designation.

The TF-51 in DCS as the Free Module is also incorrectly named, it's in Fact a Civilianized P-51D w/ Wartime Batteries and 85 Gallon Fuel cell removed from behind the pilot seat, replaced with simple jump seat, no controls or guages.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 4

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks @SkateZilla,

I didn't know that.   HVYapur.png

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

Technical inaccuracies on purpose to tell a story the public can follow.

But some interesting nods to detail too.  On the mission as Maverick is pulling off the target and needs to pull 10 gs (sure okay), he is seen pulling the stick paddle switch to overide the g-limiter.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

28 minutes ago, WRAITH said:

Why is this the BEST AVIATION MOVIE?! Explained by CAPTAIN JOE

For a guy running an aviation channel, he's embarrassingly wrong about his Hornets.  And his appraisal of the movie ignores many technical inaccuracies.  This video invalidates him as any expert.

• Like 2

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

1 hour ago, Steel Jaw said:

For a guy running an aviation channel, he's embarrassingly wrong about his Hornets.  And his appraisal of the movie ignores many technical inaccuracies.  This video invalidates him as any expert.

He's a pilot though...

46 minutes ago, 72Stu said:

He's a pilot though...

A tube liner pilot, yes.  Evidently he knows JACK about combat aviation though.  Likely why he was so easily impressed by Maverick.

• Like 1

I saw Top Gun Maverick and was just what I expected. Like the first one, it’s a mix of realism and plenty of parts, that would be harder for someone that knows the subject to believe. A lot of the over the top acting to portray the egos of the pilots. All in all, it’s what you paid for, if you go to see it, you won’t be disappointed. It’s not a documentary, so it’s made for all audiences and to excite them as well. You wouldn’t go watch Stars Wars and question if the planet existed, it’s just part of the plot, same here. It’s a great watch, if you approach it that way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Iron Sights said:

I saw Top Gun Maverick and was just what I expected. Like the first one, it’s a mix of realism and plenty of parts, that would be harder for someone that knows the subject to believe. A lot of the over-the-top acting to portray the egos of the pilots. All in all, it’s what you paid for, if you go to see it, you won’t be disappointed. It’s not a documentary, so it’s made for all audiences and to excite them as well. You wouldn’t go watch Stars Wars and question if the planet existed, it’s just part of the plot, same here. It’s a great watch, if you approach it that way.

Very well put. It's called entertainment.

Star Wars also ignores the fact that there is no air in space. X-Wings and Tie Fighters

constantly doing maneuvers that are impossible without an atmosphere to push against. Explosions in space would also have no sound.

What good is an explosion if you can't hear the boom? But we all love it anyway.

Star Trek also ignores the fact that there is no such thing as Warp Drive, or transporters, or Di lithium Crystals etc.

It's called "Suspension of Disbelief." Sci-Fi and action movies wouldn't exist without it. It's all about the story.

As for those who don't like Tom Cruise, I agree. He's a weird person and his religious beliefs are even weirder,

but I can separate the art from the artist and respect his talents as an actor, stuntman, RL pilot and his ability to tell a story.

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

On 5/29/2022 at 9:42 PM, Steel Jaw said:

LoL 🤣 Steel Jaw,

Well First, Tom Cruise is a pilot has his own P-51 - https://worldwarwings.com/tom-cruises-4-million-dollar-american-wwii-fighter-will-make-you-jealous/

Joe is also a pilot -  https://www.instagram.com/flywithcaptainjoe/   who I subscribe to for commercial aviation his YouTube Channel is great for various applications to real and sim aviation.

BESIDES - The original TOP GUN movie wasn't a USAF unclassified training or documentary release either, it was a fictional movie with a Hollywood story line with clever camera cut scenes and Hollywood thematic montages, why do people critique TOP GUN 2 expecting any different from the first LoL🤣

I haven't seen the movie yet but I am going to watch it and enjoy it very soon.................

af5f06657fc865296ab261ad227dd4c9.gif

😜

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Its a good film, If you ignore all the technical stuff people in arm chairs like to point out. So as a movie story perspective. Opening scene was awsome (Best part) However........ First was to much using of the top gun lines from the first one (First gripe) Should of left them alone. Second gripe the story was good UNTIL they decided to steal the enemy F-14, I switched off after that part typical American movie story style over the top. Music was a strange one old bar old songs trying to bring back the first movie style didnt really work. It was ok nothing to really scream and shout about. But thats my opinion (Im not a film buff).